Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

those who comment on journal.ie

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

keano_afc wrote: »
    The Journal is a cesspool. The quality of the journalism is far, far worse than the comment section though. Its basically trawl Twitter for "funny" tweets and then unleash them on the knuckledraggers.

Journalism is one of those areas where if the government said: 'F*ck it.... full fees for journo college courses'... the country would be pretty fine with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Boards.ie isn't much better TBH :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

It used to be entertaining at times (the comment section that is) but it still baffles me how the journal is so popular when it's editorial team are garbage. Some of the **** they come up with on the daily edge too really makes my eyes bleed.

I delete that app a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Journal.ie Hiring question , "do you know how to copy and paste?" "if not full training will be given"

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If you think the comment section of the Journal is bad, have you ever tried to read any of the articles? The staff seem to comprise exculsively of clickbait "banter" merchants whose research involves checking facebook and reddit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

You should have a look at the Sky News comments, particularly on topics like immigrants, WWII, Brexit, etc.

If that was a real cross section of British society then everyone over there is still fighting either the Kaiser or Hitler, everything is the fault of Europe (EU) and True British People live in a country they can't recognise anymore and want to save it for their children and children's children so they can run free in the shires and get jobs without fear of Johnny Foreigner competing for them or being given a house, job and spending money as soon as they enter the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

Wally Mooney turned into Benjy Mooney and when he got a bit of heat off other posters he suddenly became Benjy Rooney, two posts after being Wally, same AAA avatar!!. It's like a car crash! why do I keep looking!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

I love that Wally Mooney lad!

It would be fierce craic to go for a few cans with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

he should take over from Vincent Browne on TV3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

The irony is they are exactly the same people who post here!. Loads of boards people on thejournal comments section.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭Train Dragon

eviltwin wrote: »
    Probably made up of people previously banned from Boards

Journal and Boards are owned by the same company so that would make sense. They also own Daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

if you were to ever track them down and wave your phone in their face with their little comments on the screen, and ask them to elaborate/explain, they'd probably wither and want the ground to swallow them up like a paedo caught meeting girls in a sting operation.

honreal wrote: »
    It used to be entertaining at times (the comment section that is) but it still baffles me how the journal is so popular when it's editorial team are garbage. Some of the **** they come up with on the daily edge too really makes my eyes bleed.

I delete that app a long time ago.

The Daily Edge was much better about two or so years ago. The good contributors seem to have left and been replaced with the lot who are there now. One of those current writers, in particular, actually does her best to live up to the stereotype of the straight-white-male-hating "feminist". :rolleyes: Still get a laugh from the site sometimes though.

I like the concept of The Journal and the layout is quite user-friendly, but they definitely need to improve the quality of their journalism.

As for the commenters - mostly either far-left nutters or deeply unpleasant right-leaning bigots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

I can turn it right around and point out that the Irish Times is just a blog for rich ****ers who care about college rugby.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wait, are we the Judean People's Front? Or the People's Front of Judea!
    Oh. I thought we were the Popular Front.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Not unique to the Journal. Sure Dave Gorman even has a thing about these comments called found poems.

Advertisement