Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DNA Analysis

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Just an update to say I now have five matches at Y-12 so that's something.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

For those who have used AncestryDNA, have you also subscribed for a month/year? I'm waiting for my results to come back and seeing if I'll get the most out of it by subscribing. It'll be another approx 160 euro per year, so it isn't cheap, but I don't want to spend 100 euro on the test and not reap the full benefits.

And if you have subscribed, have you put your family tree on there as well? I have my tree saved elsewhere offline so would have to start populating it from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

You can subscribe for a month.

Ideally, you’d have the tree on it as it can use an algorithm to work out relationships of distant cousins.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think a tree is essential to make the most of what Ancestry DNA offers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

I did my DNA on Ancestry and FamilyTree. FamilyTree was totally useless, btw. Your mileage may vary.

I have my tree on Ancestry but it's private for various reasons. However, I made a 'skeleton' tree to attach to my DNA results. It has all my known direct ancestors back to the great-greats and some beyond. It has just basic info such as names and places and dates of birth and death. This is a huge help with the extremely valuable 'Shared Matches' feature.

I do have a World membership as Ancestry is so useful for me. Just this week, a new member--a distant cousin I never heard of--posted a family doc with details about my great-great-great grandmother who immigrated from Co Antrim to Kansas in the 1860s. You might subscribe to Ancestry for a month to see if it's of any use to you.

• Advertisement

There is usually a one-time offer of 50% off the full annual subscription when you do Ancestry DNA.

I used to use the skeleton tree route but actually you need the siblings and spouses in each generation because they're where you'll find the matches.

I have also tested on FTDNA and have made some good progress there too. People are more serious, where you get a casual user on Ancestry who never logs in again.

I'm awaiting results on a first 23andme test right now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

mindhorn wrote: »
    For those who have used AncestryDNA, have you also subscribed for a month/year? I'm waiting for my results to come back and seeing if I'll get the most out of it by subscribing. It'll be another approx 160 euro per year, so it isn't cheap, but I don't want to spend 100 euro on the test and not reap the full benefits.

And if you have subscribed, have you put your family tree on there as well? I have my tree saved elsewhere offline so would have to start populating it from scratch.

Have subscribed to Ancestry on and off over the past few years but to be honest its just to look at trees on the site as have more or less exhausted their record collections that are/were useful to me.

Have my tree on there connected to a couple of DNA tests.To be honest its more or less essential as I find that a DNA match without a tree is of very little use esp. if the person either doesn't reply to a message or perhaps hasn't been active on the site for a long time.
    Only hope in that case is to look at shared matches and maybe try and work out any possible connection.

Have also uploaded test results to FTDNA,Gedmatch and My Heritage as well as a couple of Facebook groups.
    Find none of them as good as Ancestry but then only using the available free resources on the other sites so perhaps an unfair comparison.

Found that Ancestry provided the most results for close DNA matches (up to 3rd/4th cousin).FTDNA gives me 433 results in total with 60/70 matching with 30cM or more,My Heritage 8050 matches with about 100 showing a match with 30cM or more shared,Gedmatch 3000 hits with about 30 over 30cM.Ancestry gives me 150 plus matches with at least 30cM shared.

Agree with the poster above when he says Ancestry has a lot of users who seem to have no interest in looking at the site after an initial look at their results or so I find.Many never respond to message's and a lot of users haven't logged in for a year plus.

It was me who said Ancestry users can be casual, but it's also true of My Heritage users.
    There's also still a technology issues because many testers are over 60. I've had many professional consultations where I just show people how to use their DNA results properly.

I also have more close matches on Ancestry - but I know why. There were several generations of multiple emigrants in my mother's ancestry; they all went to America, and were prolific. Often I see a new match there and already know who they are.

With our missing 19th century censuses, I think it can be difficult to identify Irish matches below 50cM. You can get lucky with records to tie in or good pedigrees. I did figure out one single match at the 11cM level for these reasons.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Agree its frustrating with some DNA matches who seem to show no inclination to follow up but that's people I suppose.
    For example have a match on Ancestry of 53cM over 3 segments that I have no clue whatsoever about.All I can figure out is that they are related on my fathers side as no match to my mother's DNA results.
    They share no matches with any known relatives although they and I have 10 plus shared matches.

Smallest definite ones on Ancestry for me are;
    daughter of 3rd cousin with 11cM shared (know them in real life so simple enough)
    4th cousin once removed with 10cM shared (from well researched tree they have)
    son of 3rd cousin with 9cM shared (from tree plus aware of the general family group,surnames etc from USA).In between this person and their father (34cM shared) ranked on shared DNA in the group I have 51 matches who look very likely to be related on the same line and I can only place 6 in my tree for definite.Another 2/3 I can guess at but the remainder I have no clue as no trees attached and radio silence re. messaging.
    That's the frustrating bit but making a breakthrough is what makes it interesting,well for me anyways.

Thanks everyone. Since I haven't received any offers of 50% off the annual sub I've decided to give the worldwide month sub a go.

And one more quick question (slightly off topic now, I know, but following on from the above). VirginiaB said that their tree is private but in general do you guys make your tree public or private? Is it more beneficial to have a public tree linked to my DNA test?

• Advertisement

You should go public but don't put any living people in it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

My tree is public and searchable but think that the default position on Ancestry for public trees is that anyone shown as living is not publicially viewable unless I send the viewer an invite or give them permission to access my tree.

Not much point in having a tree on a site and then making it private imo.Bit of a pointless exercise.
    I just have a note asking people to check with me before copying any details from it in case I might have doubts as to the accuracy of the info but I am pretty confident its 100% back to c.1800 or so which is about the extent of Irish records.
    Some people seem to be very precious regarding "their" tree and really don't like others copying it but whats the fun in it unless you can "amaze your family and friends" ?

My tree is public and searchable but think that the default position on Ancestry for public trees is that anyone shown as living is not publicially viewable unless I send the viewer an invite or give them permission to access my tree.

Correct, but I also don't want to give that information to Ancestry.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Correct, but I also don't want to give that information to Ancestry.

Why not?

So many points to make, sorry.

There are a lot of serious researchers on Ancestry. You'll connect if you're on long enough, often enough and demonstrate your own serious approach to the subject. Having said that, I have gotten--and shared--info with those who are not 'serious' but are related to me.

I keep my main tree private as too many people copy willy-nilly--photos, records, whatever--who are no relation at all and have crazy trees with people in the 1900s giving birth to people in the 1700s and the like.

I also keep it private as it is very easy to find living people if you have the names of their deceased parents, spouses, grandparents etc. I sometimes do it myself but I don't want it done unto me or my living relatives.

On Ancestry, I have 236 fourth cousins or closer. Ancestry defines that as 20 or more shared centimorgans. I have identified the relationship with almost all of them. I also have been able to identify a number of 5th to 8th cousins, down to between six and 19 shared cms. Trees are critical here.

There is enough info on my skeleton tree for a serious researcher to figure out our relationship. I get replies to most of my queries and I always, always reply to the queries I receive--and share those photos and records with actual relatives.

Not much point in having a tree on a site and then making it private imo.Bit of a pointless exercise.

Having a tree on Ancestry and not sharing it with anyone is far from pointless.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Having a tree on Ancestry and not sharing it with anyone is far from pointless.

Again, why?

Maybe its me but whats with all the "nobody is allowed to copy my work" vibe ?
    To me a family tree is just that; an accumulation of names ,dates ,facts, stories etc put together and called X family tree.
    Whats the point of doing it if its to be kept a secret?

Oh and by the way what is a "serious" researcher ?
    To me its a bit of fun doing it during the long winter nights and lets be honest here 99.99% of its as easy as pie,its the last little bit that makes it challenging and interesting.

Sorry if all the above comes across as a bit scathing but people who take a hobby that serious always give me the idea that they are taking all the fun out of it.And is that not what it is in essence,a bit of fun?

Well, for a start, some of us are professional genealogists here. That doesn't mean it's not fun but I do take it seriously.

It's not about something being secret, though I'm sure people have different levels of what they want to share. However, for a lot of people, it's not "easy as pie".

This forum is generally a respectful place: please keep it that way.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Again, why?

Maybe its me but whats with all the "nobody is allowed to copy my work" vibe ?
    To me a family tree is just that; an accumulation of names ,dates ,facts, stories etc put together and called X family tree.
    Whats the point of doing it if its to be kept a secret?

Oh and by the way what is a "serious" researcher ?
    To me its a bit of fun doing it during the long winter nights and lets be honest here 99.99% of its as easy as pie,its the last little bit that makes it challenging and interesting.

Sorry if all the above comes across as a bit scathing but people who take a hobby that serious always give me the idea that they are taking all the fun out of it.And is that not what it is in essence,a bit of fun?
    Why? Because there's loads to be gained from using Ancestry before you ever share a single thing with another user.

And I'm not saying everything has to be kept secret - I just don't like people copying my work. I don't mind sharing information but I'd rather people did their own research regardless and that way if I've made a mistake they might pick up on it.

Instead, when my trees were public people copied and pasted information from them, often adding the information to incorrect info on their own trees, and since then those compounded errors have been copied by others and the mistakes have spread like a virus.

I'm one of those "serious" researchers. I'm passionate about genealogy and because I care about it I like to see it done right. And yeah, that does mean that sometimes it's not much fun - just tedium and frustration. But the reward for persevering and breaking through those brick walls make it all worthwhile.

For others it may just be a bit of fun and that's fine. But many of those who don't take genealogy so seriously don't care about the inaccuracies that litter their trees and where's the fun in that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know we have gone a little off topic here, but seriously considering giving Ancestry a miss once the current sub runs out. I think they are very overpriced for what they offer, it really annoys me that new subscribers can get deals whereas people with them for years can't, but the last straw is the completely ludicrous (wrong country/continent etc.) 'hints' they keep giving me.

They clearly send them to less discerning types too, who add huge swathes of my tree to theirs resulting in 72 and 8 year old mothers. I used to message such people to point out they had made a mistake, but was either ignored or abused.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    I know we have gone a little off topic here, but seriously considering giving Ancestry a miss once the current sub runs out. I think they are very overpriced for what they offer, it really annoys me that new subscribers can get deals whereas people with them for years can't, but the last straw is the completely ludicrous (wrong country/continent etc.) 'hints' they keep giving me.

They clearly send them to less discerning types too, who add huge swathes of my tree to theirs resulting in 72 and 8 year old mothers. I used to message such people to point out they had made a mistake, but was either ignored or abused.

Find the hint function very annoying.
    Before I subscribed I wondered about all these seemingly "relevant" hints for my tree but when you actually look at them they are very much a scattergun approach and even at that some are so far out that whoever programmed it must really have been told to make it as vague as possible.

Only time I found it of any use is when someone uploads or updates a tree with perhaps a distant relative of mine.At least saves trawling through countless "John Murphy " and "Mary Byrne" born somewhere/sometime.

A DNA haplogroup question please. My brother did his Y-DNA thru FamilyTree DNA. His haplogroup is R-P312, a sub-group of R-M269. Can anyone explain more about this? Is the sub-group common in Ireland? Does anyone know anything about either of these haplogroups? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

VirginiaB wrote: »
    A DNA haplogroup question please. My brother did his Y-DNA thru FamilyTree DNA. His haplogroup is R-P312, a sub-group of R-M269. Can anyone explain more about this? Is the sub-group common in Ireland? Does anyone know anything about either of these haplogroups? Thanks.

That’s still a pretty wide net. P312 can be broken i to three more subgroups: Df27 which is more common in Iberia, U152 which is common in Central Europe and L21 which is mostly found in Britain and Ireland. As he’s Irish i’d guess he‘s L21. This can then be broken into other groups, from what I understand these subgroups can correlate roughly to historic kingdoms and dynasties. His surname may give an indication but if the people he matches with have tested in more detail then most likely he would have the same result as them.

That is very interesting info, Ipso, thanks. Ancestry's DNA ethnicity estimates show my brother as 96% Ireland-Scotland and me as 94%. That reflects the records I have researched thru to the early 1800s, as far as I have gotten. But we do have a great-grandfather from the north coast of Spain--Asturias. He is our father's father's father. And the line continues back in Asturias. So maybe that Iberian subgroup is the one. Asturias and Galicia are different in many ways from Spain south of the mountains, differently peopled, green and rainy. Still a strong Celtic influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Within those subgroups I mentioned are more subgroups. I don’t think ancestry looks at Y haplogroups at any depth. To get better information he’d be better testing at Family Tree DNA.

He did--mentioned that in first post. Ancestry only does autosomal. The data is from FamilyTree and I think Living DNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

It's guarantee that his terminal SNP isn't just P312.

P312 arose in a single man probably some time in late Neolithic/Early Copper age. Nearly all R1b men in Ireland are P312+ (most are positive for it's major branch L21), the other major branch of R1b that you see is it's 'brother clade' U106. Which is mostly associated with surnames of more English origin in Ireland.

You mentioned that he tested at FTDNA, did he do a SNP bundle test to get to P312? In context of Ireland if he's P312+ and L21- then good probability he would test positive for DF27.

Back in 2013 Hammer had following map in a presentation, obviously 7 years is a long time, not only do we have better understanding of the phylogeny we also know that the idea of R1b arising in Anatolia is probably wrong given Ancient DNA evidence.

M269-Hammer-2013.png

Thanks for this. I don't know any more than what I posted. He did Ancestry, FamilyTree & Living DNA. I appreciate the further explanation and map.

Has anyone tried using the Leeds Method to organise your matches?

I only have 11 shared matches between my 2nd and 3rd cousins. I can identify the matches on my grandmother's side (maternal) and grandfather's side (paternal). But lacking matches on the other sides.

Out of curiosity I added 100 4th-6th cousins to the list and again they mostly fall in to the first two clusters. I have four colours and one colour just has three matches out of 111, which seems quite low but maybe this is normal.

• Advertisement

I started trying to do it but it was a bit beyond me.

My Heritage does an auto-clustering thing for you which is similar (I think).

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement