Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Go Monthly ticket

• 07-02-2012 12:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭

http://www.sky.com/ireland/tv/sky-go/get-it-now/

for €18 you get the sky entertainment package

for €50 you get the sky entertainment package and the sky sports channels

no dish is required

I think this price might come down if netflix gets more subscribers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wouldn't like to try and watch it using a dongle for my broadband.

It'd be a great help to anyone living in an apartment complex with decent broadband,makes the 'no dish' rule of some places redundant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

The channel selection is nothing like what is offered via a dish

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    The channel selection is nothing like what is offered via a dish

You're right. Apart from the movie and sports channels, only Sky News and Sky Atlantic. The quality is amazing, though.

NewHillel wrote: »
    You're right. Apart from the movie and sports channels, only Sky News and Sky Atlantic. The quality is amazing, though.

You do get a few more when accessing via a PC. This what's available at the moment

Sky 1
    Sky Living
    Sky Atlantic
    GOLD
    Sky Livingit
    MTV
    Sky Arts 1
    Sky Movie Channels
    Sky Sports Channels
    Sky Sports Xtra (usually red button stuff)
    ESPN
    ESPN Classic
    Sky News
    National Geographic
    Nat Geo Wild
    History
    Eden
    Crime
    Cartoon Network
    Boomerang
    Nickelodeon
    Disney XD
    Disney Channel
    Nick Junior

I don't know of anyone who has subscribed to this alone. Anyone I know that uses it does so in conjunction with a television subscription.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

You do get a few more when accessing via a PC. This what's available at the moment

Sky 1
    Sky Living
    Sky Atlantic
    GOLD
    Sky Livingit
    MTV
    Sky Arts 1
    Sky Movie Channels
    Sky Sports Channels
    Sky Sports Xtra (usually red button stuff)
    ESPN
    ESPN Classic
    Sky News
    National Geographic
    Nat Geo Wild
    History
    Eden
    Crime
    Cartoon Network
    Boomerang
    Nickelodeon
    Disney XD
    Disney Channel
    Nick Junior

I don't know of anyone who has subscribed to this alone. Anyone I know that uses it does so in conjunction with a television subscription.

How do I get a Sky Go Monthly Ticket?
    Customers can sign up for a Sky Go Monthly Ticket online here. You'll need to create a Sky iD and have a credit or debit card to hand to set up your account. You can sign up for as little as one month or simply auto renew your ticket each month.

Can I change my Sky Go Monthly Ticket after I've brought it?
    With a Sky Go Monthly Ticket you pay up front for one month's access. If you upgrade your ticket during this time it will take effect straight away. If you downgrade to a lower value pack then your ticket won't change until your current one runs out.

How do I cancel my Sky Go Monthly Ticket?
    With a Sky Go Monthly Ticket you pay up front for one month's access. To cancel all you need to do is stop your auto renewal. You'll still be able to use your current ticket until it runs out. After this you'll need to buy another ticket to start watching again. To cancel your auto-renew go to skygo.com, log in and click on settings and my Sky Go.

What happens if I already subscribe to Sky Player online?
    Customers who subscribe to Sky Player online have been contacted to inform them of the changes to their subscription. All customers will be moved to one of the new Sky Go Monthly Tickets in early August. Your e-mail included information on your new subscription, the new price and when the changes will happen.

The Entertainment Pack for €18 from the Sky Go monthly ticket includes:
    Sky1
    Sky Atlantic
    Sky Living
    GOLD
    MTV
    Sky Arts 1
    Sky News
    National Geographic Channel
    History
    Nat Geo Wild
    Eden
    Crime & Investigation Network
    Nickelodeon
    Disney Channel
    Cartoon Network
    Boomerang
    Disney XD
    Nick Jr
    British Eurosport
    Eurosport 2
    ESPN Classic
    All available online on your Xbox 360, laptop, PC or Mac

The Sports and Entertainment Pack for €50 includes all of the channels from the Entertainment Pack plus:
    Sky Sports 1
    Sky Sports 2
    Sky Sports 3
    Sky Sports 4
    Sky Sports News
    All five Sky Sports channels are available online and on your iPhone or iPad with the Sky Go app.

if people are smart they would cancel their sky subscription, keep the dish for freesat, get a outdoor tv aerial for saorview

options
    get a combo receiver for freesat/saorview
    get a humax freesat+ to record freesat
    usb device to record saorview

• Advertisement

Only one small problem with your suggestion FTAKeith:

Much of Ireland hasn't the broadband service to match their needs regarding SkyGo.Hard to stream live tv with unreliable broadband or prohibitive download caps.

Pity as it would be a decent service.

zerks wrote: »
    Only one small problem with your suggestion FTAKeith:

Much of Ireland hasn't the broadband service to match their needs regarding SkyGo.Hard to stream live tv with unreliable broadband or prohibitive download caps.

Pity as it would be a decent service.

I say most of sky's satellite customers here are in areas that do have decent broadband

ftakeith wrote: »
    I say most of sky's satellite customers here are in areas that do have decent broadband

I would say otherwise. Sky's main catchment area is areas without cable. Broadband in some parts of the country is still non existant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Sky announced a new online Movie streaming service to compete with Netflix last month, although I'm not sure how it will differ from Sky Go Monthly Ticket. It will have to alter the price anyway, as it's over €50 currently to subscribe to Movies on Sky Go! If done right, Sky could have a winner on their hands as they have a better range on movies and have the added benefit to be able to download films for offline viewing!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399632,00.asp

Dman001 wrote: »
    Sky announced a new online Movie streaming service to compete with Netflix last month, although I'm not sure how it will differ from Sky Go Monthly Ticket. It will have to alter the price anyway, as it's over €50 currently to subscribe to Movies on Sky Go! If done right, Sky could have a winner on their hands as they have a better range on movies and have the added benefit to be able to download films for offline viewing!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399632,00.asp

I became an above subscriber today, €18 per month for the entertainment package for live tv and on demand tv, not a 12 months contract, I will end it at the end of june 2012

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

IMO this is another rip-off by $ky. Hopefully there will be a low take-up so they can bugger off and revise their prices downward by a considerable percentage. Anyone who wants to watch footy without Sky know where to go to get it on the net.As for the movies,etc in their packages, there is a very good choice in the FTA domain. Its impossible to watch everything and to pay $ky's exhorbitant charges is foolhardy, especially when you look at the other choices available.

IMO this is another rip-off by $ky. Hopefully there will be a low take-up so they can bugger off and revise their prices downward by a considerable percentage. Anyone who wants to watch footy without Sky know where to go to get it on the net.As for the movies,etc in their packages, there is a very good choice in the FTA domain. Its impossible to watch everything and to pay $ky's exhorbitant charges is foolhardy, especially when you look at the other choices available.

sky go's €18 will come down to €10 when netflix and other providers take up subscribers, then sky go will be value for money

sky go's €18 will come down to €10 when netflix and other providers take up subscribers, then sky go will be value for money

You'll be waiting a while i'd say

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

LOL, yeah right!

Did you get fed up with just FTA television, Keith? :)

byte wrote: »
    LOL, yeah right!

He gave up FTA for Lent:D

For someone who doesn't want to commit to a year's contract ala FTAKeith,this is a decent service with everything in the one package from the likes of SkyAtlantic to Docu channels.
    A customer can dip in and out whenever they want,during the Summer if we get some decent weather then don't subscribe,a long miserable Winter then subscribe for a few months.Plenty of stuff not available on FTA available for the price of a few pints.
    Sky will keep the price near to the satellite prices although it's cheaper due to less channels as they don't want to alienate the millions paying satellite subs.If they reduce the online price then they'd have to drop the satellite price & that won't happen.
    BTW,Netflix are due to raise their prices;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I presume this doesn't include the mix package too Without rte bbc etc, this isn't worth it imo.

byte wrote: »
    LOL, yeah right!

some of the unspoken avenues in watching some of the content have become very erratic apart from sports content

sky go monthly ticket is not bad
    I don't watch live tv I just watch the sky-od content
    I watched luck this afternoon
    for €18 its not bad and I am not stuck in a 12 months contract

when mad men and game of thrones finish I will switch it off by the end of june 2012
    I am cherrypicking the content

Isn't Sky tv only a 12 month contract if you take out a HD subscription?

byte

Nah, all new subscribers face a 12 month contract.

I'm not sure how it goes for "second hand subscribers"

if you have decent broadband

there is a legal way of getting sky sports very cheaply from sky, no need
    of a dish or upc tv, not tied to a 12months contract

for 50euros what you get through the 'sky go monthly ticket' is the
    following
    the sky entertainment package and the sky sports channels

if you are smart, if you can get someone else in a decent broadband area
    also and likes sky sports, split the 50euros cost to 25euros, as one 'sky
    go monthly ticket' account can be accessed anywhere in the uk and ireland
    between 2 computers only at the same time

its a process that sky don't promote with sky go,

I got the sky entertainment package on saturday afternoon for 18euros,
    I don't watch live tv from the 'sky go monthly ticket', I just watch the
    on-demand tv from sky go, I will end it by the end of june 2012, I am
    cherrypicking content, a family member is the 2nd computer accessing my
    account and we split the costs down the middle

• Advertisement

if you have decent broadband

there is a legal way of getting sky sports very cheaply from sky, no need
    of a dish or upc tv, not tied to a 12months contract

for 50euros what you get through the 'sky go monthly ticket' is the
    following
    the sky entertainment package and the sky sports channels

if you are smart, if you can get someone else in a decent broadband area
    also and likes sky sports, split the 50euros cost to 25euros, as one 'sky
    go monthly ticket' account can be accessed anywhere in the uk and ireland
    between 2 computers only at the same time

its a process that sky don't promote with sky go,

I got the sky entertainment package on saturday afternoon for 18euros,
    I don't watch live tv from the 'sky go monthly ticket', I just watch the
    on-demand tv from sky go, I will end it by the end of june 2012, I am
    cherrypicking content, a family member is the 2nd computer accessing my
    account and we split the costs down the middle

better than netflix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

zerks wrote: »
    He gave up FTA for Lent:D

For someone who doesn't want to commit to a year's contract ala FTAKeith,this is a decent service with everything in the one package from the likes of SkyAtlantic to Docu channels.
    A customer can dip in and out whenever they want,during the Summer if we get some decent weather then don't subscribe,a long miserable Winter then subscribe for a few months.Plenty of stuff not available on FTA available for the price of a few pints.
    Sky will keep the price near to the satellite prices although it's cheaper due to less channels as they don't want to alienate the millions paying satellite subs.If they reduce the online price then they'd have to drop the satellite price & that won't happen.
    BTW,Netflix are due to raise their prices;)

Actually, if you access it on an Xbox, you get another huge bonus: Sky Anytime. You have access to all the archive material for the channels you subscribe to....so even with the entertainment package you have a decent "on demand" library of past episodes....for Sky Atlantic (Boardwalk Empire etc.) it's great.

We have decent, not great eircom broadband and on a 32" TV it is about the same as SD material; on a 40" TV you do notice the weaker picture quality.

I don't know how it works on other platforms, but it's certainly pretty good on the Xbox

Neffa2 wrote: »
    I don't know how it works on other platforms, but it's certainly pretty good on the Xbox

Sadly not available on other consoles :-(

byte

Presumably, you also need to have a Gold subscription to XBL to access it?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

if people are smart they would cancel their sky subscription, keep the dish for freesat, get a outdoor tv aerial for saorview

options
    get a combo receiver for freesat/saorview
    get a humax freesat+ to record freesat
    usb device to record saorview

At the moment there isnt a box that has the two that will allow you to record and watch one saorview channel while watching another. But you could get a tv with saorview built in and buy a cheap saorview box so when you record you could watch saorview on your tv while recording the saorview channel on the box. Get a humax freesat +box for your satellite channels.

teednab-el wrote: »
    [/B][/B]

At the moment there isnt a box that has the two that will allow you to record and watch one saorview channel while watching another. But you could get a tv with saorview built in and buy a cheap saorview box so when you record you could watch saorview on your tv while recording the saorview channel on the box. Get a humax freesat +box for your satellite channels.

I use the humax freeview+ to record saorview

also use the humax freesat+ to record freesat

sky go monthly ticket compliments freesat/saorview, just one snag FX is not part of it so far

I use the humax freeview+ to record saorview

also use the humax freesat+ to record freesat

sky go monthly ticket compliments freesat/saorview, just one snag FX is not part of it so far

noticed some decent documentaries I watched on sky go monthly ticket, much better than netflix

You say Netflix doesn't have decent documentaries? You might want to have a look again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Whats to stop someone with a home sky package giving out their log in details for sky go so they can watch it for free?

Advertisement