Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bubbles on wood when varnishing

• 03-06-2020 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

I am varnishing a table with polyeurathane. It’s looks like some bubbles have developed from the first coat.

I had completely stripped the wood which looks like a veneer mahogany or teak. I then put 2 coats of wood dye on, and then started with the varnish.

Any thoughts on why this has happened, and how I can avoid? I wouldn’t like to have to sand them back as I don’t want to damage the varnish.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Sounds like you did a lot of prepping and that the surface is quite nice wood. Don't worry too much about it, it is normal to have a few bubbles from air buildup. You could sand it with very fine sandpaper like 600 grit or finer, but with a light touch. It is also normal to sand between coats, so it is okay to take your time with this. If you sand and take away the dust with a slightly damp rag, let the surface dry or dry it with a good soft dry one to make sure all the residue is gone and that the humidity doesn't create more bubbles. You can actually do a couple of sand, rag and varnish passes to make your project better. Is your varnish water based or oil, lacquer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

It is either air bubbles from the brush or silicone contamination from a polish.
    They can be fixed by sanding back carefully starting with 240 grit up to 320 or 400 if you can. Buy a dedicated varnish brush from a good paint shop - they are about 10 euro and make all the difference.When the surface is ready vacuum the top ( compressed air is better is you have it ) and wipe down with 'Panel Wipe ' or 'Cellulose thinners' as a second choice. After that its a few coats of poly with a good brush -- air bubbles are less likely to form if you keep the coats thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Just make sure that if you are using a compressor that the air supply is filtered, most compressors put a small amount of oil into the air and that also leads to fish eyes developing in varnish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Thanks for the advice everyone, appreciate it.

Separately - the lacquer is a bit too glossy for my liking. I have heard that rubbing with wire wool and a top coat of bees wax is good to reduce the sheen but still have a nice satin finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Thanks for the advice everyone, appreciate it.

Separately - the lacquer is a bit too glossy for my liking. I have heard that rubbing with wire wool and a top coat of bees wax is good to reduce the sheen but still have a nice satin finish?

Yes , wire wool with wax will give a lovely sheen - make sure its 0000 wool. Wax should be given a few hours ( preferably overnight ) to evaporate before buffing. I use a rounded brush in a drill for this - saves a lot of 'elbow grease.':D

• Advertisement
Advertisement