Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant refusing to move out

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

All very nice, but you don't have to do any of it. Tell them the date stands and they are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

OP, did they leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    How did this go OP?

So update. He didn't leave on the appointed day.

So as I told him I was going to do I came home from work and changed the lock and text him to let him know that. I then packed all his stuff and told him I would hand it to him from the door. He then made a threatening remark so I moved all of his stuff outside and put a plastic protective sheet over it and told him I would stay there till he got home to take it and then go inside when he got there. I also contacted the guards and they rang him to let him know they're aware of the situation. That's when he stopped replying.

I believe he tried to go to the guards after he got home first because he just took pictures and drove off but after about 45 minutes he came back and took his stuff with his only last words being that I entered his room without his permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Well done OP, you handled a difficult situation very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Glad to see the Gardai rang him to let him know they were aware, far too often they brush these type of things off until it becomes a full blown problem.
    Happy you got your space back without too much trouble op

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Very well handled OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Blacktie. wrote: »

So as I told him I was going to do I came home from work and changed the lock and text him to let him know that. I then packed all his stuff and told him I would hand it to him from the door. He then made a threatening remark so I moved all of his stuff outside and put a plastic protective sheet over it and told him I would stay there till he got home to take it and then go inside when he got there. I also contacted the guards and they rang him to let him know they're aware of the situation. That's when he stopped replying.

I believe he tried to go to the guards after he got home first because he just took pictures and drove off but after about 45 minutes he came back and took his stuff with his only last words being that I entered his room without his permission.

Did you hear from him again?

JJJackal wrote: »
    Did you hear from him again?

Well it's only been a day but I wouldn't at all be surprised if he tried to claim I didn't return something so I took a bunch of photos as I was packing his stuff and took a video at the start when I entered his room and at the end to show it was empty.

He also tried to claim I had to return the full month of rent he paid when he'd only used up 2 weeks claiming something about the contract. I informed him there never was a contract and his unused rent paid will be returned with the deposit.

I also have security cameras and a self monitored alarm set up should he try anything stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Well it's only been a day but I wouldn't at all be surprised if he tried to claim I didn't return something so I took a bunch of photos as I was packing his stuff and took a video at the start when I entered his room and at the end to show it was empty.

He also tried to claim I had to return the full month of rent he paid when he'd only used up 2 weeks claiming something about the contract. I informed him there never was a contract and his unused rent paid will be returned with the deposit.

I also have security cameras and a self monitored alarm set up should he try anything stupid.

He sounds difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Quandary

JJJackal wrote: »
    He sounds difficult

Just be thankful he was just a licensee and although it might have been unpleasant, it was easy to remove him from your property.

If this guy had a tenancy you could well be looking at over a year to get rid, along with being out of pocket substantial money if he stopped paying rent, as many of these difficult clients tend to do.

Delihhted to hear it went smoothly so far.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

• Well done op.

This is how LLs should be allowed to deal with non-paying or overholding tenants too and not this long drawn out crap they have to go through.

Quandary wrote: »
    Just be thankful he was just a licensee and although it might have been unpleasant, it was easy to remove him from your property.

If this guy had a tenancy you could well be looking at over a year to get rid, along with being out of pocket substantial money if he stopped paying rent, as many of these difficult clients tend to do.

Delihhted to hear it went smoothly so far.

Best of luck.

I completely agree. I would never become a landlord for this reason and this just solidifies my position on it now. I've heard too many horror stories out there and having experienced this I wouldn't put myself in that compromised position.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Delighted he’s gone and Garda actually gave him a call to warn him. But change your alarm code and WiFi password to be on the safe side.

Duvetdays wrote: »
    Delighted he’s gone and Garda actually gave him a call to warn him. But change your alarm code and WiFi password to be on the safe side.

Yeah already done.

Bit of a pain setting up all my devices again but def not worth leaving as some possible access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Well done op.

This is how LLs should be allowed to deal with non-paying or overholding tenants too and not this long drawn out crap they have to go through.

Of course it is.

Yet incredibly, there isn't a single political party in Ireland today which has the integrity, the moral strength or the cojones to defend property owners' rights in such a situation. They're all so completely terrified of the media hysteria about homelessness that they are quite happy to trample property owners' rights into the mud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Glad it worked out OP. Pray for the next property owner who ends up stuck with this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Well done op.

And banks/lenders should be able to do the same with defaulting home/business owners? At what point do you want due process to start? Streamlining the process for landlords is required but not a simple ejectment. A lodger rightly has fewer rights than a tenant of a whole property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Marcusm wrote: »

And banks/lenders should be able to do the same with defaulting home/business owners?

Naturally - although a bit of leeway would be allowed in the case of a family home. What could possibly be wrong with that?

(In the same way that repo men are allowed to reclaim leased cars when the agreement isn't being honoured.)

It's a complete no-brainer, you borrow money; you agree to repay it - fail to honour your agreement and there are predictable consequences.

What viable alternative system of commercial lending are you proposing?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

Marcusm wrote: »
    And banks/lenders should be able to do the same with defaulting home/business owners? At what point do you want due process to start? Streamlining the process for landlords is required but not a simple ejectment. A lodger rightly has fewer rights than a tenant of a whole property.

Of course banks should be able to eject non paying mortgagors within a reasonable timeframe (3 to 6 months).

You know very well that before RTA 2004 peaceful re-entry for non paying tenants was the norm after a 28 days notice and rent arrears and overholding problems were minimal like it is now for commercial leases in Ireland. Ejectment timeframe could be more than the old 28 days, but definitely not the joke it is now in Ireland where non paying tenants and non paying mortgage holders are literally taking the proverbial.

Partly it is do-gooder thinking like yours that has screwed the rental market in Ireland and mortgage rates are so high (combined with policies screwing supply).

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

You definitely got some good advice :D

• Advertisement

GGTrek wrote: »
    You definitely got some good advice :D

It's handy knowing people in the know about this stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭paska

A good result.

Advertisement