Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(International) Guess the Location (see rules post 1)

• 21-02-2015 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

Guidelines for posting

1. Post a screen shot of a town or city outside of Ireland;
    2. Picture should contain at least one public point of reference. i.e. Church, monument, pub, river, cliff, mountain;
    3. Where the pic is proving too difficult the poster can give clues or post a further more obvious pic of the town or city should be posted;
    4. Correct guesser gets to post next, unless they waive their go on thread;
    5. Correct guesser should wait for confirmation from the poster that they are actually correct before posting, unless the poster hasn't come back to the thread for a few hours or they can post the same pic from street view;
    6. If the correct guesser hasn't posted a pic in 24 hrs or has not responded to a guess within 24 hours it's open to the community to post a new pic;
    7. 1 guess per post and no successive posting;
    8. OP doesn't confirm/deny the country/continent for the first 20 guesses or 24 hours;
    9. keep it light-hearted and fun.

Here is how to post a pic
    1. Find a place on Google Streetview
    2. Ctrl+PrntScrn
    3. Open MS Paint or something
    4. Paste
    5. Scribble over any indentifying features
    6. Save the file on your computer
    7. Add it as an attachment to your post
    8. Follow the link in your own post, and Copy it
    9. Edit your post, and click on the little mountains & sun icon with the yellow sky
    10. Paste in your link, and Save your edited post.

There's a popular thread in this forum called Guess the Location (town or village) and the locations are always in Ireland.

So I was thinking, might be fun to have a parallel thread where you can guess the location around the world. The rules would be similar but they might evolve a bit differently. I think that each pick should be distinctive enough to make the country chosen reasonably easy to guess. Once a poster got that far, the originator would confirm and perhaps provide a framework for getting closer to the target. For example, if the guess were New Zealand, you could say now which part of the two main islands do you think, if you're not able to guess a location. And it would narrow down that way.

I would propose to start with the following, and no it's not in Canada (like me).

339585.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Cuba?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Not too far off but not very close, won't begin to give clues yet. Except I would say, don't forget that shadows in the tropics and southern hemisphere would follow different logic(s) than for places in the northern mid-latitudes. So keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Gonna guess Brazil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Spain

Brazil has now moved us onto the right continent (but not the right country yet). Proceed ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Venezuela?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

If you like this sorta thing, try
    https://geoguessr.com

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I don't have a bulls notion; gonna thrown Peru into the mix anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Colombia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

A coastal country so Ecuador?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Buenos Aires, Argentina?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Santiago Chile

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I'm just watching Dara & Ed's Big Adventure on the RTE Player, and they visited a place that reminded me of this thread.

Is it Mazatlan, Mexico?

So sorry, it was a sunny Saturday here and your obedient servant was on the golf course until now. So the country has now been established, it is Chile. But not Santiago which is inland some distance. Proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Found it because of the port in the background.

First I got out google maps and started checking out cities by the sea. No luck.

Then I googled for "chilie main ports" and found this site with a list of em:
    http://www.indexmundi.com/chile/ports_and_terminals.html

The last port in the list is the one we were looking for. The shape of curve of the land was the only port to suit the photo.

Then it was a matter of zooming in and then getting the streetview. Here it is:
    https://goo.gl/maps/CJmDc

That's it, Valparaiso. Also it is the second largest city in Chile after Santiago, the picture was a bit tricky because the coast runs east-west for a few miles there, hence the mid-day shadows pointing south and the ocean to the north in this westward view.

So if the previous poster would like to post one, if he says no later on, anyone else feel free, I will most likely be asleep as I live on the Pacific coast myself and it is now approaching 0100h.

Just try to pick a location that has some distinctive regional details to narrow down the possibilities.

Ok, here's the next one. Might be too easy or too hard. Not sure. First time I've done this :)
    339705.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭Mech1

51.541005° 0.001637°

Copy into google.

Wow, so fast! Correct!

You're up :)

Edit: The reason I picked it is because it's beside the Olympic Statium in London

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭Mech1

pass.

• Advertisement

This place has no street views so I have poached a picture from google earth, hopefully the properties will not give it away. However, I don't expect this to be up too long.

One clue -- a very significant event reported in the New Testament of the Bible is traditionally believed to have taken place just behind the point where this picture was taken.

339724.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Kusadasi / Turkey?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Patmos, Greece

Good call, the picture is taken on Patmos and shows the port of Skala. Behind the location of the photographer is the Shrine at the presumed location of the Cave of Patmos where John (of the final chapter of the New Testament) obtained the Revelation of the future that is often called the end times. This is famous for any number of images, the New Jeruslaem, the Beast, scenes of judgement, the four horsemen, trumpets, seals, Babylon, the number 666 etc. Some Biblical scholars have estimated that the Revelation (or Apocalypse) took place in or about 96 A.D. although some prefer an earlier date. The generally accepted date would pretty much mean that the Saint John who received these visions cannot be the same man as the Saint John of the four gospels and a later epistle.

Well, if the previous poster would like to take their turn, I will wait to see if we have a new contest, or if we need a new location for tomorrow perhaps. If they bow out, anyone is welcome to post one.

Well, here's one that should provide plenty of clues and last maybe an hour or two ...

339889.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

Is that the Danube?/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Colonge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

It's Pittsburgh.

Somebody else can have my go.

• Advertisement

So that answers the question about the Danube. Anyway, it is a view of downtown Pittsburgh PA from the west, looking to the point where two rivers join to form the Ohio River which then flows west to join the Mississippi where Illinois, Kentucky and Missouri meet.

Go ahead anyone who would like to post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement