Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spiders in the banana trees.

• 07-01-2009 11:54pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I had these lyrics up about a year ago but didn't post the tune. I'd forgotten all about it for the last few months as I'm very bad at logging or recording tunes. I've lost (forgot) loads. I hadn't played it in ages as I hadn't a capo so I popped new capo on third fret this morning and instintively went to this tune. I was so surprised that I forgotten it and really surprised I remembered it. So ok, ok the recording is duff the singing apalling but I like the tune and the words but don't know if sentiment has sold me a pup. I'd really appreciate C+C on it. If positive feedback comes I'll keep with it and if honest negative stuff comes I'll bin it to return to it another day. I had about 16 songs that I hadn't taken proper care of so I've now gotta go looking with the capo.
    Anyway here's the lyrics and the tunes on the link in The Deathwatch beetle song on this forum.
    (As said singing, playing and recording are pants but hopefully it outlines the direction of it.

SPIDERS IN THE BANANA TREES.

We'd talked about the spiders in the banana trees.
    'bout how they'd fall between the leaves down into your sleeves.
    You held onto to me as though you were losing me.
    Gonna lose me and never get me, myself, back.

But tumbling out here in cold dark deep blue sea.
    All alone out here in the cold, dark, deep blue sea.
    You sent me a whale and on the tale of the whale
    you lifted me up.
    Clear of the sea and into a warm blue sun.

But world don't you owe me nothing?
    And world why do you even care
    But you sent me this whale and on the tale of that whale
    you lifted me up.
    Clear of the sea and into the warm blue sun

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yikes! Put the wrong spiders in banana trees up on myspace. Corrected now. Yhis versions not much better but is a little faster. Here's another one I remembered after forgetting all about it. I put it up a good while back but it wasn't right. Jack Dev then commented on it and I changed it around and dealt with the problems he highlighted on this forum. He was right and it worked to take in his opinions.

Midwiche Cuckoos

Cast a spell to bring you down
    Fallen landscapes, crawling towns will hypnotise you
    And take us far away.

Be near strangers on a train.
    That'll change at every station
    Compulsive fears will bring you down

-Lay back and take it on
    Keeping still. Make no sound.
    Look away and slowly part...
    Holding still without a sound.

Crossed your ankles with a ribbon
    Teased your mouth into submission.
    I made you crawl. Then watched you fall.

Bodies laid out taut and shivering.
    Fingers out-stretched glistening.
    Cum and sweat glide smooth 'cross porelian.

Through motions subtle reaction
    lies a cold and heartless passion.
    Through moistures broke refraction
    shards a glimpse of recognition.
    And takes you down.

Takes you down.
    Be that stranger.
    That will change
    at every station.

Once again this is a really rough recording. An outline of intent if you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭cufroige

Just listened to Spiders in banana trees....I really like that!!!:D

I know you said you're voice is 'pants' but I think it suits!!

The music is Bee-U-tiful..

Very soothing & romantic...

I like it!:cool:

Thanks very much for the very encouraging remarks Cufroige. It can be rather hard to have someone respond on this forum for a bit of C+C. Which is a pity as it can really work wonders for the process. After getting a little lift from your post I re-visited the tune with a refreshed ear. I then remembered that when I last played it (a number of montha ago) I had completed the structure of it. It varies a little from the one on myspace. Without your words I would have stored the song away probably never to be dwelt on again. I'm playing it more confidently now. I'll re-record it over the next few days and pop it on myspace.

Quite a few month back I posted up Midwyche Cuckoos. I was nearly there with the words but something was jarring the fluidity of it. I popped up the lyrics as close as I could get them and JackDev had a read and posted his thoughts on them. I took in the advice and hey bingo...he was right.

This forum is helpful but it really relies on posters putting up there opinions. Positive or negative. Thanks again.

I get ya...

I know, I should contribute more C+C as opposed to just a quick comment/praise..

A lot of the time I'm rushing & don't take enough time to post a decent contribution..

...oh I'm such a busy bee..:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I'll try, I agree it's very helpful..it's great to have a forum on which to do so:D

I was meaning that I really appreciated your contribution. There are a lot of posters that put material up for C+C yet never afford the other posters the same in return.
    Yet it is very helpfull when someone does respond (such as you did).

• Advertisement

Hiya Humber..

So I went & had a listen to your updated spiders in the banana trees & while I was at it, Midwyche Cuckoos (what the hell are they?)

Anyway, because I'm in work I couldn't have a proper listen, I will again on my own time..

I have to say I really like The spiders tune, it's so chill & beautiful.. It's like the musical equivalent of someone playing with my hair (which, I like)
    I'll have to listen to cuckoos again at home..as I just couldn't hear. But I did read the lyrics..

I like the way your lyrics are romantic yet in no way cliched, predictable or mushy & I like they way you're kinda of strange & kooky without it being contrived..

Your voice as I already said is not as bad as you may think, there is an original quality to it & I suspect if you used it more you would learn how to better use it too.. You tend to trail off a bit & some words are not as audible as others..But then again, the more you use it blah blah...

I don't know if you'd run a mile from the suggestion, but there are a few breathing excercises in voice coaching that REALLY can help with the voice, without having to take on singing lessons.. You don't need (or want, I imagine) singing lessons, but a visit with a coach to give you a few simple but very effective excercises in breathing can really transform not only what comes out of your mouth, but your confidence..
    It won't be a Julie Andrews do-ray-me job, lung control.. carrying notes on your breath.. I did same..a few lessons to learn how to breath

I hope that's not a ridiculous suggestion...

More Songs!!!

And as for me sharing my stuff, I'm getting around to that...Have to figure out to work my wonderful new 2nd hand machine...
    I hope I can be happy with the outcome, right now I'm in FEAR!!!
    I think I would feel less afraid if I was to go on the Podge & Rodge show in me nip!:eek::eek:

What if you were to pm them when you've something together rather throwing out to the bigger scarier public?

As for singing...yeah I am gonna treat myself to some coaching. I think it would be an all round useful tool as I'm fully self taught. I have hardly picked up a chord book and started by writing songs rather than doing covers. I still don't know any covers! But in doing it that way I think I missed out a lot on basic ear intake. I still tune off a tuner and I couldn't tell an A chord if it fell on me (ok a bit of exaggeration). I do drift off when singing as I kinda get the yips. Sometimes it feels as though I'm trying to unicycle a tightrope across Niagra and I get a sudden realisation of where I am and fall off.

As for the newer version of Spiders.. I haven't put it up yet.

I've to put up music to another song though. I'm not singing 'til the final chorus bit but it has a working title of 'Who's gonna want me now'. I've got the words but they're on another pc which I'm tracking down so should have them up between today and tomorrow. It'll be interesting for me to re-read them after about 6 months without seeing them. But the tune is ok and I have to take it off the recording equipment now.

I'm keeping this thread going for a lot of tunes that I wrote a little while back and am slowly remembering them. I think I've forgotten some really good one's and that's really annoying me.

humberklog wrote: »

As for the newer version of Spiders.. I haven't put it up yet.

Doh!!! ah, I was listening in work & couldn't hear great.. So I guess I'll wait for the real update!!! lol

I'll pm you a link to wherever I post some music..Thanks :cool:

I don't do covers either..I think a lot of writers don't, why should we? :D

Good for you on the voice coaching..it'll work a treat

I play piano & guitar, but neither of which can I play 'well' , I'm booked in to start lessons this week.. I need to improve big time, I know I can, I just need the homework, some guidance, discipline etc..

I'm classically trained on the piano, which means I'm stiff as a board from learning to play by sightreading & being afraid to put a finger wrong. I haven't 'practiced a scale in about 7 years, give or take.
    I've decided to break me out of this stifness that I need a totally different approach & so am going to be learning trad style piano. I'm excited!!

This evening I changed the strings on my poor guitar, I swear I could hear it heaving a sigh of relief as I don't think I have treated the poor thing to new strings forever! Then again Scar (that's the guitars name) has been in his bag for the most part of the last 3 years I'd say..awwww..

I don't know why I didn't do it sooner, It's sounding so much nicer now & not so hard on the fingers..

Wow...look at that for waffle!

Off to bed...g'nite world

P.s...are we the only two posting on this forum? It's very slow:confused:

I know what you mean about strings. I'd same ones on for a year and could feel the guitar sighing with relief when I changed them. But I picked up ones that are too light. I'll stick with them out of billigence but the sounds too twingy for me. Ah well. I've put up the slightly re-structured Spiders...doesn't start great but I think my voice gets better towards the end. Here's another one from a good while ago.

Cuppasoup.

Mangeant soup.
    'Cup of soup.'
    -Not exactly Heston Bloomenthal.

'Feels hot.'
    -Let it cool.
    -If it's too hot you should just blow on it.

(Whistle and bridge)

Cruton.
    Paper plane.
    Fashioned out of graph paper.

It's a little sceince
    To cross the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Yikes! Put the wrong spiders in banana trees up on myspace. Corrected now. Yhis versions not much better but is a little faster. Here's another one I remembered after forgetting all about it. I put it up a good while back but it wasn't right. Jack Dev then commented on it and I changed it around and dealt with the problems he highlighted on this forum. He was right and it worked to take in his opinions.

Midwiche Cuckoos

Cast a spell to bring you down
    Fallen landscapes, crawling towns will hypnotise you
    And take us far away.

Be near strangers on a train.
    That'll change at every station
    Compulsive fears will bring you down

-Lay back and take it on
    Keeping still. Make no sound.
    Look away and slowly part...
    Holding still without a sound.

Cum and sweat glide smooth 'cross porelian.

Through motions subtle reaction
    lies a cold and heartless passion.
    Through moistures broke refraction
    shards a glimpse of recognition.
    And takes you down.

Takes you down.
    Be that stranger.
    That will change
    at every station.

Once again this is a really rough recording. An outline of intent if you will.

Excellent piece humberklog! Your style reminds of an American band called The Decemberists. Unusual but wonderful use of language. It reads really well and it looks like a song.

I especially like this:

Cum and sweat glide smooth 'cross porcelian.

Top draw!

Where have the links gone? I'd really like to hear this.

All in all, excellent work I think.

• Advertisement

My dad's a big fan of the book - I've seen one of the films. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Cuppasoup is also a winner, I've said that before. I would love to see an animated video clip of that song. I think it would work very well.

MAN ALIVE! Oink I thought the Baloobas stuck you in the pot!
    Yeah very dodgey recordings but I had to put them up as I was starting to forget them and didn't know their worth. Still don't!
    Up for an Airingroom session? I'll give you a text during week.

I wrote a cracking tune in full this morning in a half hour it was job jobbed and I think it could do with your ear thrown over it.

1by1.gif
    Thanks very much Whiskey. Not many have got the reference. I was only having fun naming it that. The recordings, playing and singing are rough as boots but hopefully near enough to get the gist of song across.

Dublin's answer to Tom Waits. :cool:

At work so I can't give it a proper listen 'til later. I'll try and rip 'em to my iPod. :)

Dublin's answer to Tom Waits. :cool:

At work so I can't give it a proper listen 'til later. I'll try and rip 'em to my iPod. :)

God bless your ears! I think I might have to start taking out personal indemnity insurance if people are gonna stick in their ears.

Dublin's answer to nobody (by the by).

Another from the vaults which I've only remembered today. Things pop into the mind from the oddest places in the oddest places. I have the music and am presently trying to record it. But it does have some tricky lines to get over.

Shine Like A Lotus.

All these drunks are just thieves
    who'll cement your beliefs
    and bury you up to your head in the sand.
    You shined like a Lotus
    yet nobody noticed
    those goons and your catastrophic plan.

But I knew you were wrong
    when you told me who'd won.
    Those Mandrills had Montecristos
    and the children they all had guns.

(Chorus No.1)
    I knew you, I knew you, I knew you were wrong.
    But an absurd little jew
    with fake leather shoes
    Was no match for the ana-baptist, the creationist
    or the episcopalian evolutionary guard.

Now there's no use you lying
    'cause I'd seen you crying.
    When you hypothesised you shoulda realised
    Those fools would hang onto every word.

Now the kids smoke cigars.
    Wearing real monkey's furs
    and the grown ups hide in terror
    scrathing zero to Pi on cave walls.

(Chorus 2 and out)
    Lord, I knew you, I knew you, I knew you'd get it wrong.
    But I loved you, I loved you, I loved you and didn't give a damn.
    While I went un-noticed you shined bright as a lotus.
    I was the fool and you you had the master's plan.

(Repeat and change last line)
    I was the fool and you you had the plastic gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

[qothueonoe
    Shine Like A Lotus.

All these drunks are just thieves
    who'll cement your beliefs
    and bury you up to your head in the sand.
    You shined like a Lotus
    yet nobody noticed
    those goons and your catastrophic plan.

But I knew you were wrong
    when you told me who'd won.
    Those Mandrills had Montecristos
    and the children they all had guns.

(Chorus No.1)
    I knew you, I knew you, I knew you were wrong.
    But an absurd little jew
    with fake leather shoes
    Was no match for the ana-baptist, the creationist
    or the episcopalian evolutionary guard.

Now there's no use you lying
    'cause I'd seen you crying.
    When you hypothesised you shoulda realised
    Those fools would hang onto every word.

Now the kids smoke cigars.
    Wearing real monkey's furs
    and the grown ups hide in terror
    scrathing zero to Pi on cave walls.

(Chorus 2 and out)
    Lord, I knew you, I knew you, I knew you'd get it wrong.
    But I loved you, I loved you, I loved you and didn't give a damn.
    While I went un-noticed you shined bright as a lotus.
    I was the fool and you you had the master's plan.

(Repeat and change last line)
    I was the fool and you you had the plastic gun.[/quote]

man those lyrics are nuts man in a good way do:D:D:D

The funny thing is is that they make perfect sense! Straight forward commentary. But it does need to be heard to get it I think. I've got the tune complete but have been away from the guitar and kinda needed that comment to put a bit of sprite in the step. I'll have it up in a day or two. It's a good tune.

The funny thing is is that they make perfect sense! Straight forward commentary. But it does need to be heard to get it I think. I've got the tune complete but have been away from the guitar and kinda needed that comment to put a bit of sprite in the step. I'll have it up in a day or two. It's a good tune.

spite???i meant it as a compliment dude:D:D

• Advertisement

Sprite. A pick-me-up. Sprite. A lift, a bounce, energised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

I'm going to go listen to the tunes in one minute, I'm in the middle of some really impressive African singing on NPR. I've liked the lyrics so far, I'll give you a proper crit once I've listened.

Sprite. A pick-me-up. Sprite. A lift, a bounce, energised.

i beg your pardon humberklog i taught it said spite hahaha:)

Bump for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Just spent this morning listening to your stuff man. Very nice indeed. The guitar work is everything i love about guitar driven music...soft and fragile and delicate so when the strong moments hit they drip intent.

I also like your voice...possibly because you embrace your limitations and work within them...your voice has soul...and a little bit of hurt. That's a good thing.

"Jesus moved ahead in light" is a lovely piece of music...so good in fact i can't get it out of my head and a vocal just seems to be falling into place in there.

It's said the goal of music is to uplift and inspire...i would say you are succeeding.

Dragan wrote: »
    Just spent this morning listening to your stuff man. Very nice indeed. The guitar work is everything i love about guitar driven music...soft and fragile and delicate so when the strong moments hit they drip intent.

I also like your voice...possibly because you embrace your limitations and work within them...your voice has soul...and a little bit of hurt. That's a good thing.

"Jesus moved ahead in light" is a lovely piece of music...so good in fact i can't get it out of my head and a vocal just seems to be falling into place in there.

It's said the goal of music is to uplift and inspire...i would say you are succeeding.

Thank a lot Dragan. As said in PM my voice has got better. I do cringe a lot when I hear it there on the Myspace but that's a good thing too. I'd forgottten all about "jesus moved ahead...". I must lookk see if I can remember the movements. I'm shocking bad at logging down tunes and I've lost a lot of good ones because of this.
    I'm hoping to put up two new ones soon as I have the music sorted perfect. Words are srtruggling but I've set aside this weekend to concentrate on it. I had been writing without stimulants for a while but I'm going out the door to pick up some large rizzlas an d some cheap wine to see if that'll budge the grey matter along a little.
    Feel free to do anything with the tunes you like. I've only been doing rough drafts and would love any input. The next two tunes that will be going up on the Myspace would be far more accessable for another musical spin. they should be up by the end of week. I've just gotta track down a zoom Hd for a half hour.

Advertisement