Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airing room for writers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

Im up for next thursday too man!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Jack DeValera

I'm in for next Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

This sounds like an interesting idea....were you thinking of it more from the point of view of people listening to songs and maybe suggesting ideas to better it or just literally to play your song?

I suppose I'm looking at it from the point of view of the singer songwriter nights where there is already an audience, but if it were the case that you talked about the song or whatever then it makes it different to a singer songwriter night

youve probably already started this looking at the date you started the post...how is it going on?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

So can everyone interested give a preference for the 6th (tomorrow) or the 13th.
    Gibson- (this one will be the first one. It's a room with a big table and chairs. Anyone can do what they wanna do for whatever reason. Come along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 JBuffet

hey humberklog, either/or for me as regards which thursday to begin.

• Advertisement

Same as jb. Thanks for reply. i'm gonna be off-line till about 2 tomoro. We can see around then who else is coming. I'll pm you on my ph number then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

This is a great idea, especially if everyone is on the same wavelength as far as constructive criticism is concerned. It's always a nice measure of someone's compliments/advice when you can hear the music they make too.

Think it'll work better if their are a few on a different wavelength Frankie. It's openly open to criticism or comment if that's what the performer wants. Some may not and that's fine. Anyway I'm P.Ming those who've said they'd come along with ph.no. and address. Anyone else?

PMs have been sent to those expressly saying they'd come along. There's still plenty of room for others and as i said befor if not this time around then next time. It's not a band. So anyone else interested?

Yeah, but if you're not open to constructive criticism then what's the point, you may aswell just play at home to your cat. The advantage of this situation is that instead of a crowd of randomers who'll stretch for a "great gig" or "oh I liked that second song", you've got a small group of musicians who can give constructive criticism and help you develop. If not then I say play on your own if you don't like audiences or go to an open mic.

By same wavelength I didn't mean same taste in music etc, I meant an open mind rather then a closed one.

• Advertisement

Personally i am open to any criticism(except for perhaps drawing similarities, ie.that sounds a bit like (name artist). Seems a bit lazy to me). However i can't speak for anybody else. If someone was to say for example... 'a wanna play this and i don't want any criticism',then i'd respect that. You seem to have plenty of ideas so that in some way you need to put parameters around the airing room so you can understand it. Well that's all fair enough for you. But only for you. Why don't you come along? It's looking like starting this thursday and i was thinking of splashing out on an almond ring from superquinn. There'll be plenty to go around.

The advantage of this situation is that..... i
    I mean open mind rather then a closed one.

Just a little trimming on your last line and i think you're there!
    How's that for helpful criticism frankie.

If people didn't want to be criticised, then fair enough, but I'd be asking what the purpose of the meeting is in that case.
    I think it's a very good idea, I said that at the start, but it's a good idea because it's songwriters sharing songs. If you don't want people to hear then I'd suggest playing to yourself, if you're after an audience then go for an open mic night. I think this idea is quite good in points I've already gone through.

I wouldn't go about editing someone's post like that really... someone might take it all completely out of context, despite the point you're trying to make, which is what exactly?

If you get a bunch of open minded people who are open to talking about their songs and other people's songs then bam, you've got a valuable event. If people are closed to discussion and closed to criticism then I don't see the point.

Almond ring sounds like a good plan by the way. I'd pop along but I think I have to go review a play... what time frame are you thinking for this adventure?

The almond ring is inspired however it could be demoted to a half of an oxford lunch. Frankie i think we're two terriers at the same rag as far as commenting further on your/my opinion and could end up chasing our own tails around so lets leave it there(unless you've got a few canine analogies to add). Not sure what time. Expecting about 7.30-10.30. Would be good if people arrived between 7.45 and 8.45. How does that suit everyone else? Frankie I'll pm you details then you'll have'm for either this time or next.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭KeithMaster

hi humberlog
    I havent actually written songs before but am really interested in learning, im a singer in a folk band who have just started up, we are interested in writing our own stuff, would i be out of my depth by coming along?

Nobody will be out of their depth - we're all learning.

By all means come along

Keith i'll pm on details. You won't be outta your depth. Really.

Get you jack! Genuinely cracking material. I gotta pull my socks up, get on the pencil and do some double underlining. No parking in numbered places!

So how'd it go?

It went very well frankie. Numbers were low but that's a good start. The airing room is taking names and dates for next meeting. Anyone interested?

• Advertisement

ye still interested, but need time and place

forget that, i got the details thanks

So anyone interested in next week? Open invite as always to anyone interested in the creative process. (I don't think i can put it simpler than that). Almond ring or oxford lunch? or if anyone has a better chioce for cake then put in your suggestion. (This is not 'your favourite cake to share' thread.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭mada999

sorry lads I'm off on holiday tomorrow so i wont make it this week or next :(
    Hope to make it soon though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Embol

Hiya, sorry couldn't make it for the first week, hope it went well. Is it on this thursday 27th again? I have a job interview that day, so not sure if I'll make it... Damn real world getting in the way of fun! I'm back online now anyway so I'll keep an eye on the thread to see what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Hey all, great to see this taking shape. I'll defo make it along to one of these. Looking a little tricky with Thursdays in general at the moment.

I DEFINITELY can't make next Thursday as a I have my launch gig that night. So if any off you want to join from the airing room and come up to Bewley's Theatre Bar on Grafton st you're more than welcome! More details here

I'll also have details to share soon on a new singer/songwriter night I'm running in town. It should be good. Will come back with more details as soon as.

No worries at all embol. good to hear from you.I haven't any set date for next night and am leaving it open to suggestions to form a consensus so if anyone is intersted them lob in a date on the thread and see where it goes.
    hey frob would be very interested in going along to one of those nights. Not to play but to have a listen. If you put it on this thread also it might gain a bit of interest from people who've been keeping an eye on this thread and if one or two were to go along then it'd be good for your night and a useful network for the airing room. Well it could be. Anyone else have any thoughts?
    And again just to say to anyone that has been keeping an eye on this thread or is reading for the 1st time that the airing room is as said and is open to all.

Numbers were low for the first airing room, but that's to be expected - I'll definitely go regularly if it keeps up, it's good craic.

I can make the 27th, but since there's already 2 who can't, we're probably best to postpone till the following week.

Thoughts?

Hey Jack good to hear from you. How many easter eggs did you get? Yeah definately give the 27th a miss as numbers aren't making sense. I'm personally not against a saturday or sunday,day or evening.

• Advertisement

How would people be about a saturday afternoon? It would save any milling about and it would make it easier for people outside of dublin (or the country as we call it)to come. If it was too big distance for a same day return journey i can accommodate 1 person for the night.

Advertisement