Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good road bike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

Thanks for the advice! And yes I am pretty clueless about all this :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Seweryn wrote: »

5431110649_934f7f4f71_z.jpg
    She's a beaut. Did you order it on Evans? You just can't get them online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Hungrycol wrote: »
    She's a beaut. Did you order it on Evans? You just can't get them online.
    No, this is 2010 model as far as I know and not available anymore. I bought it last year in February from a dealer in Germany ;). Shame, they do not sell them over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Seweryn wrote: »
    If Cycleways can't do, then no other shop in the country can, as there is no Cannondale dealers here.

I can strongly recommend the SuperSix. I used to ride one (still have it) and I love that bike. This bike would be hard to beat, especially with a good wheelset and I would take the Sram Apex over Shimano 105. Great system.

I think I'm going to go for the specialized bike. I can't really get a Cannondale any way easy and cycleways don't rate them. There is Specialized Tarmac Sora for €1650 and Specialized Elite tiagra for €1700

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I think I'm going to go for the specialized bike. I can't really get a Cannondale any way easy and cycleways don't rate them. There is Specialized Tarmac Sora for €1650 and Specialized Elite tiagra for €1700

Cycleways don't rate Cannondale yet pretty much every review gives them a glowing report. If a bike shop have an issue with mark up/availability/profit they tend to use that old line. Don't read too much into it.

http://road.cc/content/review/50515-cannondale-caad8-tiagra

• Advertisement

I think I'm going to go for the specialized bike. I can't really get a Cannondale any way easy and cycleways don't rate them.
    I would rather listen / read users feedback about bikes than rely on opinion of a single shop.
    For than money I would go for a CAAD10 105.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Definitely Tiagra over Sora. Better shifters and should have 10 speeds on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭billyhead

Did you get a chance to check out the boardman road bikes in Halfords. There is a sale on at the mo

billyhead wrote: »
    Did you get a chance to check out the boardman road bikes in Halfords. There is a sale on at the mo

Yes I checked them out but I wasn't 100% sold on buying something online. I still don't have any measurements and would really like to get a feel of its road handling etc before I get one.
    Definitely Tiagra over Sora. Better shifters and should have 10 speeds on the back.

I didn't know the difference but he did note that there was 10 gears on the back wheel on the standard Tarmac. I think the Tiagra shifts etc better as you say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Yes I checked them out but I wasn't 100% sold on buying something online. I still don't have any measurements and would really like to get a feel of its road handling etc before I get one.

I didn't know the difference but he did note that there was 10 gears on the back wheel on the standard Tarmac. I think the Tiagra shifts etc better as you say.

You can just go into a Halfords shop and try out a boardman bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭billyhead

Seaneh wrote: »
    You can just go into a Halfords shop and try out a boardman bike.

Yeh thats what I did and ended up getting a a road team carbon. Excellent bike for the money

:)

Picked up the Boardman Comp this morning, was reduced even further to 700 (from 1000 originally, must be getting 2013 stock in soon) so I bought a wireless Cat Eye along with other accessories.

Delighted with it so far - my first proper road bike! I need to take it on a long spin (whenever the rain clears :mad:) to get used to the sram apex gears though.

WP_000538.jpg

Surinam wrote: »

Picked up the Boardman Comp this morning, was reduced even further to 700 (from 1000 originally, must be getting 2013 stock in soon) so I bought a wireless Cat Eye along with other accessories.

Delighted with it so far - my first proper road bike! I need to take it on a long spin (whenever the rain clears :mad:) to get used to the sram apex gears though.

WP_000538.jpg

Nice bike ! Hope you get plenty of nice cycles with it. Is that it here ? Whats the weight like ?

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_777713_langId_-1_categoryId_212536

Nice bike ! Hope you get plenty of nice cycles with it. Is that it here ? Whats the weight like ?

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_777713_langId_-1_categoryId_212536

Yes that's the one in the link, they bring the price down to 700 when you are paying, I think he said that offer will be there until next Wednesday.

Coming from the bike I was riding - a Specialized Rockhopper (with attached bits and pieces) - it feels extraordinarily light to me!! I took it for a spin before the rain arrived and couldn't stop smiling, I'm like a kid when Santa comes :D:D I don't have any frame of reference though, this is my first road bike, the one I was riding was a MTB. But I certainly love it so far - I think my Saturday 60k spins will be much more pleasant now.

Everything seems in working order so far, even managed to set up the CatEye properly (aligning the magnets is tricky).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Surinam wrote: »

WP_000538.jpg

€700 for a bike with an Apex groupset group set (minus the break callipers) is fantastic value.

I started this thread looking at Specialized but Cannondale was recommended by several people. Can you tell me what you think of the following ?

Cannondale Caad10 (Shimano 105) €1,749
    2012CAAD10-5%20REP001.JPG
    Specialized 2012 Tarmac (Shimano Tiagra) €1,799
    9026-7149-1.jpg
    Specialized 2013 Sport Tarmac (Shimano 105) €2,050
    Specialized-Tarmac-Sport-2013.jpg

I took both for a cycle today and it was a bit confusing as there was not much in it, Cannondale has an aluminum frame but felt a bit better and the frame was not that far off the cycle I had with the Specialized carbon. The wheels on the Cannondale would need to be replaced, the seat on the Specialized could be better. But the Shimano 105 can be got on both brands now although the parts on the Cannondale are better.

The new 2013 Specialized sport has a new paint job and the Shimano 105

There is a 5 year guarantee with Cannondale (aluminum) and life time guarantee with the Specialized (Carbon)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mcofferon

Hi Aindui80

Its easy to get a bit sidetracked, as everyone here probably has alternative suggestions to the bikes you've listed, I've recently been through the same process, albeit on a tighter budget.

Bottom line, there really are very few bad bikes out there, not even mediocre ones. If you've had a chance to ride all three of your choices, your gut should really be able to tell which one to go for - I'm guessing the Cannondale?

Also I'm guessing that the Specialized bike came with the bare bones Shimano Groupset but with other/own brand brakes, cranks etc. Nothing wrong with that and one reason why they manage to package such good frames at those prices, but for me I'd prefer a full matching set.

Have you talked to the dealer about swapping out the wheels on the Cannondale?

Looking at the guarantee, I would check the small print. 5 years seems pretty much normal for alloy frames, with some quoting 10 years. The lifetime guarantee with the Specialized Tarmac may have exclusions and conditions (like an annual dealer inspection). Its good to see but doesn't necessarily mean one frame is more reliable than another.If you are unlucky to suffer from a bike with a manufacturing defect, it's more likely to show up in the first few months of ownership.

Mcofferon wrote: »
    Hi Aindui80

Its easy to get a bit sidetracked, as everyone here probably has alternative suggestions to the bikes you've listed, I've recently been through the same process, albeit on a tighter budget.

Bottom line, there really are very few bad bikes out there, not even mediocre ones. If you've had a chance to ride all three of your choices, your gut should really be able to tell which one to go for - I'm guessing the Cannondale?

Also I'm guessing that the Specialized bike came with the bare bones Shimano Groupset but with other/own brand brakes, cranks etc. Nothing wrong with that and one reason why they manage to package such good frames at those prices, but for me I'd prefer a full matching set.

Have you talked to the dealer about swapping out the wheels on the Cannondale?

Looking at the guarantee, I would check the small print. 5 years seems pretty much normal for alloy frames, with some quoting 10 years. The lifetime guarantee with the Specialized Tarmac may have exclusions and conditions (like an annual dealer inspection). Its good to see but doesn't necessarily mean one frame is more reliable than another.If you are unlucky to suffer from a bike with a manufacturing defect, it's more likely to show up in the first few months of ownership.

hey Mcofferon ! thanks for the reply, I was looking at all sorts of bikes there for a while and the thread did drift off.

Yeah you're right about the gut feeling, it is Cannondale but it didn't make much sense. When I got it on the road it felt the best ride straight away. The dealer was backing Specialized by in large but I thought lots of things are wrong with Specialized ( saddle, the shape of the triangle, handlebars, groupset) from my novice eyes.

The Cannondale does look like it needs new tyres already :D but the tyres were noted as good grip on the web, good enough over the winter. It is a better looking bike and the parts seem to be better (although I am no expert on all the different parts).

Like you say nothing wrong with the Specialized and it does has the Shimano 105 and a new paint job in the 2013 version but it is more expensive. The 2012 Cannondale already has Shimano 105.

There are things to upgrade on the Cannondale (the bike which I think I will get) but I don't know what exactly apart from a speedometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Does anyone here have an opinion on Thompson bikes?
    I'm new to this and looking to get a decent bike to start on, but don't want to be changing again in 6 months. The chap in the local shop reckoned they were a good bike for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ive a 2011 caad 10 and its a great bike, mind you i didnt pay 1800 for it :eek: where you getting those prices from?

• Advertisement

ive a 2011 caad 10 and its a great bike, mind you i didnt pay 1800 for it :eek: where you getting those prices from?

where did you get it ? i got those prices in cycleways

I see it here at €1528 :O
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/caad10-105-compact-2012-road-bike-ec031694

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

i got mine here, but the price on the site lemag put up is very good

this is a very nice bike for 1500 if a 54 is your size

56cm is my size. I can't believe that leeds website is offering the Cannondale caad10 at £999/approx €1270. Thats quite a drop from the price in the stores here.

56cm is my size.
    Are you sure? I've got a size 52 Canyon and a size 52 CAAD9. The CAAD9 is noticably bigger. If you were already correctly sized in a shop then I guess you'll know.

Lemag wrote: »
    Are you sure? I've got a size 52 Canyon and a size 52 CAAD9. The CAAD9 is noticably bigger. If you were already correctly sized in a shop then I guess you'll know.

I hadn't a clue so I went into a bike store and got my size 56cm. I have a short back and long legs and I think certain bikes fit better than others.

Is the caad9 a year older and a year's technology behind ? one of the few youtube reviews I have managed to find reckons caad9 was/is one of the best aluminum designs ever but caad10 has replaced them. Is caad10 better than caad9 ?

I hadn't a clue so I went into a bike store and got my size 56cm.
    Ok. Different bikes have different geometries though and a stated bike size might not always refer to the length of the seattube, say.
    Is the caad9 a year older and a year's technology behind ? one of the few youtube reviews I have managed to find reckons caad9 was/is one of the best aluminum designs ever but caad10 has replaced them. Is caad10 better than caad9 ?
    It's the only CAAD which I've had so I can't compare from experience. AFAIK, the CAAD10 is supposed to be the next iteration in the development of the CAAD bikes. I doubt that there is much difference though as the 9 was already very highly regarded. I do prefer the look of the 9. It has smooth welds. The 10 does not.

It seems a bit tricky to get a CAAD9 so I will probably go for the CAAD10 as I don't mind the welds compared to the other pet hates on other bikes.

I was looking at the http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk where Icyseanfitz got his bike. There is quite a bit of a price difference to be had compared to the shops here. For example I could have a full carbon Cannondale Supersix 105 Compact Road Bike Replica (2012) bike for the same money as Specialized Tarmac here. P&P seems to be £20.

I'm pretty set on the Cannondale bikes now especially after seeing the same bike in England at a lower price. Does anyone know much about the Cannondale models further up the line like the Supersix etc ? Are the parts carbon frame much better ?

• Advertisement

I'm pretty set on the Cannondale bikes now especially after seeing the same bike in England at a lower price. Does anyone know much about the Cannondale models further up the line like the Supersix etc ? Are the parts carbon frame much better ?
    I have both bikes (or should I say - I used to have, as the SuperSix is a piece of good looking furniture at the moment :D) - the SuperSix and the CAAD 10. Both bikes are excellent and I can talk for ever about how much I like them.

Regarding the warranty, all Cannondale bikes have life time warranty from the manufacturer, as far as I know, not just 5 years.

Go for the Cannondale, you will not be disappointed.

Advertisement