Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum time again! This time, it's divorce

1235»

Comments

• SusieBlue wrote: »
    Irish children will be wedding middle aged men in no time, according to these people. We will be forced to acknowledge foreign marriages between children & adults, meaning they can defraud the state of even more social welfare.

Am I misremembering that this was the exact same arguments they used against gay marriage too? Is it that _every_ change we make anywhere even in he realm of marriage makes these people think of bedding children all the time?
    SusieBlue wrote: »
    And we'll also allegedly have to recognise polygamous marriages, which will destroy the structure of the family even further & also cost the state millions.

The funny thing about being in a relationship that has three people instead of the usual two - is that people love putting us in contact with each other if they know people in a similar situation. There does not appear to be a lot of us in Ireland however.

The one thing that seems to unite us though - the ones I have met at least - is that we have absolutely no interest in pursuing any legal marital recognition. It is just not on our radar as something to fight for and in fact if any kind of vote was brought up for it I would actually vote _against_ it. As would the people I have met.

So in my experience at least rhetoric on that subject is at best scare mongering and fantastical. But I find I am genuinely curious how legislating on the waiting period rather than having it in the constitution - is meant to open up the institution of marriage to polygamy. Did they offer reasoning on this in the social media you spotted?

But it is interesting to explore the idea that it would destroy the family structure. I would love to know how. I as of this month now have three children - having had my first with the second of my partners. Our family structure seems to be as tight as any one at all anyone could name. I wonder where it is they see the cracks and what form they take.

The threads the mods alas destroyed in after hours about why children are meant to need opposite sex parents yielded absolutely _no_ arguments suggesting they actually do and made one particular poster suggesting they do look even worse than normal - so it would be fun to see what their arguments against children having _more_ parents they come up with that do not conflict with their children need two opposite sex parents arguments. I expect a serious comedy of errors of them falling over their own arguments with that one. It reminds me of that joke Christopher Hitchens used to make that the Unitarians believe in "one god - maximum"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

It's nothing to do with people in your position AH, just a dogwhistle against muslims

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Voted this morning at 7am,
    Turnout is looking piss poor, (people should be ashamed), I'd still be very surprised if the yes vote doesn't pass.

No doubt we'll get the usual religious fruitloop going to the high court about it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Cabaal wrote: »
    Voted this morning at 7am,
    Turnout is looking piss poor, (people should be ashamed), I'd still be very surprised if the yes vote doesn't pass.

No doubt we'll get the usual religious fruitloop going to the high court about it

Went down at lunch and there was a steady enough flow, I reckon most people vote after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

smacl wrote: »
    Went down at lunch and there was a steady enough flow, I reckon most people vote after work.

Folks in my local station said turnout was "OK", so probably similar to 2014, 43%.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Just voted now. Polling station said they were ticking over nicely.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Just voted too - the polling station in a leafy suburb of South Dublin was busy and turnout, judging from the numbers of crossed-out voters on the voting roll, seemed to be about 40%.

Not sure that the appearance of either Ben Gilroy or Gemma O’Doherty on the EU voting card did anything for my blood pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

robindch wrote: »
    Just voted too - the polling station in a leafy suburb of South Dublin

Relevance? Other than letting it be known that you live in a "leafy surburb of South Dublin". Go on: double fronted Georgian period. Or bedsit?

:)

Glad to see the electorate "are joining the dots" on global warning (sic) and shifting Green. Too late, in my view. But somewhat better than business as usual.

Relevance? Other than letting it be known that you live in a "leafy surburb of South Dublin". Go on: double fronted Georgian period. Or bedsit?
    Tent on Killiney Hill. Much cheaper.

Unsurprisingly, the referendum approved the constitutional amendment regarding divorce - by a strong margin of 82% to 18%:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48410903

Yet another piece of catholic Ireland slips, slowly into the history books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

So, Result is 82.1% Yes from a 50.83% turnout.

7th biggest Yes margin of all Amendments to date, just below joining the EEC.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So, Result is 82.1% Yes from a 50.83% turnout.

7th biggest Yes margin of all Amendments to date, just below joining the EEC.

Lolek Ltd and co becoming more and more irrelevant in Ireland, given that once again they opposed another yes vote in a referendum and they lost by yet another landslide.

Advertisement