Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Will Christmas Day Be Like In Your House?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

Not great. My dad recently died so it's gonna be hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Sorry to hear that Shady Acres. While it will be a difficult time, I hope you can do something nice for yourself during christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,822 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

ShadyAcres wrote: »
    Not great. My dad recently died so it's gonna be hard.

My thoughts are with you ShadyAcres , lost our dad a few weeks back also . Look after yourself .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Our Christmas is very quiet. Just the two of us and our two pets in the house :)

It's our 2nd one as a married couple so we started a new tradition last year after we got married. Up about 11 or 12...a fry up for the two of us. Give the animals their presents :) Watch something Christmasy or whatever Pixar movie is on. I'll do dinner...last year was my first year cooking it! After dinner, hubby will drop me and our dog off at my home house, he'll head down to his for an hour or so and then we'll spend the evening in my family home eating trifle and swapping pressies. We'll head home and relax on the couch for the evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

^^ 11 or 12!! That's a Christmas present in itself. Our mutt whines and howl/moans if we're not up and about by 8 at the latest no matter what day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Jude13 wrote: »
    ^^ 11 or 12!! That's a Christmas present in itself. Our mutt whines and howl/moans if we're not up and about by 8 at the latest no matter what day.

The benefits of having a lazy lurcher :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

@shadyacres and @eggsfordinner I have had those Christmasses. Once was while my father was dying, and the other was the first one after he died. I also had difficult Christmasses when my baby was born a few weeks prior.

Sometimes you can celebrate just getting through the day. Find the happy bits when you can, and take time for your sad times.

A few years ago you would have seen me prepping for Santa, with bags of gifts, laughing with my kids at ice skating. You wouldn't have seen me later on crying in my car by myself or into my pillow or on my husband's shoulder, because I was able to hide my pain in public (apart from.one time buying Christmas decorations when I LOST MY SHTT in Blanchardstown centre).

Hugs to you and anybody else who has a challenge at this time of year. Like everything, it gets easier

• Registered Users Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Quiet, tis always quiet. I am well used to it by now.
    A friend often rings - lovely to chat with him :) on Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I find that if you have a good lash of pints on Christmas Eve you will get through most of the big day without having to get up at all

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

For some reason (tradition) our Christmas is always soundtracked by that great Christmas legend Leonard Cohen ;) we have him on low volume during the day.

Breakfast is usually a fairly quick affair. Sausies and home made brown bread and damn good coffee.

Then high Mass and carols. All the trimmings. As a believer this is the most important element of the day. It’s all about a baby born in a manger.

Then home and usually neighbours in for G and Ts. Then dinner. The usual. Turkey and ham. Brussels sprouts pan fried with pancetta. Christmas pudding and cake. Fresh cream :). Great tea and coffee. Lots of chocolates.

Following that we retire to the sitting room. Tv on. Movies welcome. Board games. Books. Bliss really. Few jars had before bed time around 11 unless pulp fiction or a coen bros classic is on then all bets are off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Edgware wrote: »
    I find that if you have a good lash of pints on Christmas Eve you will get through most of the big day without having to get up at all

In my own damn painful experience a level 9 hangover (so very bad) ruins Christmas Day.

Was stupid enough to do it once. Never again.

Then;

Up very early to help my mam with the turkey. I'm a terrible cook so was more of a hindrance than a help :p We'd head off to mass then in our new "Christmas clothes". Mammy wearing something I bought her, earrings or perfume or a nice dress. Daddy resplendent in his patterned jumper which also came from me :p

We'd get home and have a fry. I remember even as an adult feeling excited to leave mass so we could have the fry. It was nearly better than the dinner :D My uncle would arrive complaining of his hangover. We'd put on paper hats and play silly games. Then the cries of "don't be spending your money" "sure I didn't want any presents" :)

After dinner we'd play more games. Old fashioned ones like snakes and ladders. Eat a load more food. At this stage I'd be in the pjs and half comatose. Or I might pay a visit to a good friend for a few hours in the evening.
    Night time would see us watching television. Mammy would have the chair brought in to the fire. Chatting about Christmases past.

Now;

Daddy wakes at his usual time. I'll drag myself up around 9 Or 10. We might have a visitor or we might not. I don't go to mass anymore. Dad would have gone the previous night. Throw something on and visit mammy in the nursing home. The staff do a really great job on the day, and every day. Go back home. Pjs and bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Pretty quiet. I’m traveling to New Zealand for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Most of the family doesn't talk to eachother so it's just get through the day so they can go back to not having to look at each other. I just stay well out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Christmas is mostly religious for me now. I love the seasons, Advent and Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Ine word twill be, war, same as every year

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Quiet enough. I work Christmas so I don't drink or go mad. I'll be home in the morning so will get to do the Santa thing and help with dinner. Will have a few hours after dinner before work. Work will be great fun, we'll have a big meal and have a bit of a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Quiet, tis always quiet. I am well used to it by now.
    A friend often rings - lovely to chat with him :) on Christmas.
    The same. I don't have kids, or siblings, and my parents are dead. I don't do traditional dinner, just eat whatever, could be chocolate for breakfast! Good fire, telly, wine. The Queen's speech makes me sad, all my family in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

madmaggie wrote: »
    The same. I don't have kids, or siblings, and my parents are dead. I don't do traditional dinner, just eat whatever, could be chocolate for breakfast! Good fire, telly, wine. The Queen's speech makes me sad, all my family in the UK.

Its never the most jovial thing :D Traditional dinners only good if theres a crew because its handy, cant beat a few bottles of red and homemade pizzas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Will fly home a day or two beforehand, no one knows. Get last minute shopping and stay in Dublin. Then drive home Christmas Eve. Early morning. Arrive around 12, before the whole family start arriving and I have time for a Mam hug..;)

Family all start arriving around 2pm to early evening.

Put up the lights I bough outside.. its pretty mad lighting wise.

Spend evening chatting catching up and meeting friends calling to the house, then crash.

It is a late start on Christmas morning as we are all tired. Make breakfast, chat and catch up some more. Have a laugh and just enjoy each other’s company. Raise a glass to all we have lost and wish they were with us.

Open presents, which takes a LONG time.

Dinner is late, and huge. Running for an hour or two.

Just love being with my family and enjoying them all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

love christmas:)
    up usually by 10. turn on oven. turkey all ready to go. veg etc ready since night before . im working christmas night again this year so dinner at 1. pressies before that and walk doggy or she wont speak to us all day!
    ive work at 6 so leave family and fire and roses and head out into dark .
    but i love christmas:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Working (in a hospital) from 8am to 8.30pm. Going to have fun with the patients. It's the best day of the year after all!! Will head off to a close friend's after (no family in Ireland). That sounds a bit depressing but it will be fun and I'm use to not being with family as they live on the other side of the world :)

Loooove Christmas day!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

I work in retail so I'll wake up in my house Xmas day feeling so very tired but grateful for a day off. I'll head to my parents for dinner and chill there for a few hours before heading back to mine for a few cans and throw a bet on whatever Turkish football is on that day. I'll watch Mrs browns boys and then go to bed early before work in the morning, screw you retail!!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Shop40

harr wrote: »

Coffee on and the likes.. kids come down and it’s great excitement. We have a special needs child who doesn’t really get the whole Christmas thing so we let him off to do his own thing, which can be a bit sad for us. He might eventually have a nose around his gifts but not big into toys and hates the change to his routine.

Same situation in my house, SN child hasn’t yet got the Christmas thing. I hope you have a lovely Christmas. This year we are keeping it very simple, will visit family early in the day and have dinner in our own. I’m looking forward to it as usually there is too much going on and both kids more comfortable at home x

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Not sure. No kids so we're going to try something different and are off to Spain for Christmas. Weather should be decent enough. Where we're headed, there's a tradition of music, barbeques and a few drinks on the beach Christmas Day, so looking forward to trying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Juat a day with my dad over and the kids. Dad cooks turkey and ham at his place and bring sit over. General play time with the kids and their new presents. Have a few to drink. Generally try to make it a nice day with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Not sure. No kids so we're going to try something different and are off to Spain for Christmas.

We're in the same boat and this is on the to-do list within the next couple of years, would love to know how it goes for you, what the atmosphere is like, etc. Saying that we're off to Spain early in the new year :)

Advertisement