Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭farmerval

Finished Margaret Atwood's The Blind Assassin. Brilliant finish to the book, thought it dragged for a while, disparate threads for well over half the book. In other time might not have finished it.
    Still the last third of the book was really good.
    Off to find something different now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I’m currently halfway through This Is Going To Hurt, Adam Kay’s description of life as a junior doctor with the NHS in the UK. I know it’s not exactly as bad here in Ireland ... I just hope it’s not worse, since I have some fairly major surgery coming up here in a few months. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

bnt wrote: »
    I’m currently halfway through This Is Going To Hurt, Adam Kay’s description of life as a junior doctor with the NHS in the UK. I know it’s not exactly as bad here in Ireland ... I just hope it’s not worse, since I have some fairly major surgery coming up here in a few months. :eek:
    It's a terrific book and eye opening, he is hugely engaging.
    His small book set at Christmas is also good too.

I've just finished Thud by Terry Pratchett. I'll start Snuff tomorrow. I've really enjoyed the city watch series, Night Watch was outstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

just fin ished Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World mark kurlansky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Ann Devine, Ready for Her Close-Up by Colm O'Regan

Very easy read, enjoyed it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,302 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I've just finished Thud by Terry Pratchett. I'll start Snuff tomorrow. I've really enjoyed the city watch series, Night Watch was outstanding.

Night Watch is one of his best. Young Nobby and anything to do with the shades in that book cracked me up

• Registered Users Posts: 15,983 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Global Crisis: War, Climate Change and Catastrophe in the Seventeenth Century by Geoffrey Parker

Taking a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

After I finished it, I looked him up to see if I knew any of his work in his new role as a TV writer, and was surprised to learn that he's gay. He makes numerous references to his partner in the book, but only by the letter H. I wonder was that driven by a desire for privacy, or a fear of homophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

mikhail wrote: »
    After I finished it, I looked him up to see if I knew any of his work in his new role as a TV writer, and was surprised to learn that he's gay. He makes numerous references to his partner in the book, but only by the letter H. I wonder was that driven by a desire for privacy, or a fear of homophobia.

I'm pretty sure he used male pronouns when referring to him a couple of times in the book?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I'm pretty sure he used male pronouns when referring to him a couple of times in the book?
    He did I think.

It's no big deal in the book and rightly so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Oh, fair enough.
    gmisk wrote: »
    He did I think.

It's no big deal in the book and rightly so
    Did I suggest otherwise?

The doctor-turned-comedian/comedy writer seems to be a thing in the UK: Phil Hammond, Paul Sinha, Harry Hill. I wonder is a medical career a different sort of 'ghetto' that these guys are desperate to escape from...

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

King Leopolds Ghost - the story of greed terror and hedonism in colonial Africa.I am trying to understand why so many africans want to leave their own continent & come to western Europe . Some shocking tales to be sure.

I just finished Tim Butchers ' Blood River' about the Congo. So i am on a roll.. of african history./ They have been treated **** all through the last 2 centuries its no wonder they have such chips on their shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

irelands own. class stuff :)

King Leopolds Ghost - the story of greed terror and hedonism in colonial Africa.I am trying to understand why so many africans want to leave their own continent & come to western Europe . Some shocking tales to be sure.

Is that fiction or non. I really want to read more about Leopold as he was considered a brutal evil racist b****** even by his peers in his own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭pavb2

Yes I read it a few years ago and the atrocities don’t seem to get the same exposure as those carried out by other colonial regimes. The role of Roger Casement was also interesting.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Is that fiction or non. I really want to read more about Leopold as he was considered a brutal evil racist b****** even by his peers in his own time.
    its factual and gives insight to the character, ambition and the duplicity of Leopold . He was worse than hitler and its cloaked over to be honest a hidden secret.

He was worse than hitler

?s=fatherted&e=S02E09&i=S02E09-NacUZdDG&t1=YOU%20WOULDN%27T%20FIND%20HITLER%20ANNEXING%20VAST&t2=TRACTS%20OF%20JUNGLE%20AT%203%20IN%20THE%20MORNING

Finished McMafia. Got a bit samey by the end.

About 40 pages into the truth about the harry quebert affair. Very good so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Finished ‘Universal Harvester’ by John Darnielle. It’s a good book but the blurb is incredibly misleading.

Sells the it as a “horror”, and while it’s certainly unnerving and creepy in parts, it’s a really more of a mystery.

A young lad working in a video shop gets told by a couple of patrons that there’s some weird stuff on the cassettes. He has a look and sees short, strange, homemade “scenes” spliced into the films and it goes from there.

I enjoyed it, regardless of the possible issue of false advertising. Well, once I got past that long, boring, chunk in the middle. It’s a decent enough story and it’s well written, just could have been very different.

The tide is turning…

its factual and gives insight to the character, ambition and the duplicity of Leopold . He was worse than hitler and its cloaked over to be honest a hidden secret.

The Belgian wing of BLM are gunning for his legacy big time and rightly so by the sounds of it.

Im currently reading "A tall man in a low land" by Harry Pearson if you want to follow it up with a less heavy take on Belgian culture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭pavb2

Just finished An Innocent Man by John Grisham a work of non-fiction . Very unsettling how circumstances and incompetent police And DPP can put a man on death row.

Also watched it on Netflix where it goes into more detail about another two Men charged by The same police and prosecuted by same DPP, chances are They are also innocent but still in prison after 30 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I finished Barrayar by Lois McMaster Bujold. Much better than Shards of Honor, the first book in the Vorkosigan Saga.

Started the Life of Pi, by Yann Martel. It's going great so far.

Still can't get back to Echoes of an Alien Sky...It's such tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Just finished "Conversations With Friends" by Sally Rooney, author of "Normal People" (which I have not yet read.)

Would not recommend. It was unenjoyable, tedious, dissatisfying, and painfully predictable. And not half as intelligent as it's probably supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Just finished "Conversations With Friends" by Sally Rooney, author of "Normal People" (which I have not yet read.)

Would not recommend. It was unenjoyable, tedious, dissatisfying, and painfully predictable. And not half as intelligent as it's probably supposed to be.
    Heard its a mistake to read over normal people because entire characters are essentially a first draft for their normal people version.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭appledrop

I started this + thought it was a load of pretentious nonsense + like something a college student would write( no disrespect to students you know what I mean)

Don't know why I bought it. I will read it as very short but I'd say it will be a bore fest. I didnt even think Normal People was that great as characters were never truly believable until I seen the amazing programme bbc managed to produce.

Very rare for me that film better than a book but certainly the case in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

'The Renaissance' by Walter Pater. Old book written by a 19th century art critic.

Recommended. It's only 200 pages, sort of a gloss rather than a comprehensive history. Good insights.

appledrop wrote: »
    I started this + thought it was a load of pretentious nonsense + like something a college student would write( no disrespect to students you know what I mean)

Don't know why I bought it. I will read it as very short but I'd say it will be a bore fest. I didnt even think Normal People was that great as characters were never truly believable until I seen the amazing programme bbc managed to produce.

Very rare for me that film better than a book but certainly the case in this instance.
    Angst is a very boring subject in a book its best served on a tv programme!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Turtles All The Way Down - John Green

Just started it last night so not much to say about it yet

I finished The Templars: The Rise and Spectacular Fall of God's Holy Warriors by Dan Jones and what I will say is that you need to not be distracted whilst reading it.

Advertisement