Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Back in my day...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

You could get a provisional licence, buy a car and drive off - without ever having learned to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Sally O'Brien, and the way she might look at you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

You could get a provisional licence, buy a car and drive off - without ever having learned to drive

I done exactly that.... you know, back in my day:D

The guy in the garage actually had to come out and tell me to take off the handbrake as the car kept cutting out as i tried to pull off and i had no idea why!

I soon as that was pointed out to me, it was out into rush hour traffic on the greenhills road - shítting myself!

Fúcking madness when you think of it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

branie2 wrote: »
    We had to change the TV channels on the TV itself via knob
    I was usually the knob that had to change the channel in our house.

I went to the cinema on rare occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

- glass Lucozade bottles in the grandparents drink cabinet contained Poteen.
    - computer games loaded up from cassettes
    - Mars bars were the most expensive item in the sweet shop at 28p
    - free kicks in GAA were taken from the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Be right back

branie2 wrote: »
    And Glenroe signalled the end of the weekend

And panic to get the homework done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

When I went to the Classic cinema at Harolds Cross Dublin, we queued up Outside the front door. Think it was girls queued on the left, boys the right side. Movie stopped half way through to top up on grub. This was the time of Ghostbusters and Scrooged movies

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

When you went to a nightclub you got a voucher at the door for a meal, usually some supernaturally delicious chips and cocktail sausages or something along those lines. Hit the spot nicely at 1:00 am or so after a feed of pints!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Ryertex

Job ad in the news would say, “Shop assistant required. Apply to PO box 24”
    And that was it, no mention of what kind of shop, location, wages etc. But being desperate for work in the eighties you applied anyway and of course rarely got a reply.

• Advertisement

..soccer was a contact sport and putting in a fair crunching tackle was part of the game and not a hanging offence
    ..sheep/cow **** on the pitch was normal (or a burnt out car if playing in Cork city's north side)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

A glass bottle of Lucozade and a bunch of grapes wrapped in brown paper was mandatory if visiting someone sick in hospital.

And you got money back if you returned the bottle to the shop :)

Back in the day we knew what dinner was going to be every day because the menu stayed the same 7 days a week every week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

we walked to school hail rain or snow . took longer walking home on a wet day because we played ''boat races '' in the drains with bits of sticks . On frosty mornings we often arrived in school with bruises from sliding and falling on the frost and ice .
    A bath every saturday night '' whether you needed it or not '' . It consisted of a tin bath on the kitchen table , carbolic soap and kettles of hot water . Skin would be raw from scrubbing with bar of soap. Last one of us was often dirtier after the bath than before . Hair combed with a fine comb to remove tangles and ''stuff'' . Tea before 7 as we had to fast for 12 hours before being marched off to mass next morning , skin still glowing red from previous evenings scrubbing with soap and flannel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Tatyo was 2p and you could only see in Black & White

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Back in my day my duvet was an FCA greatcoat.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,453 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That was our duvet.
    “ Mammy my foot is stuck in the pocket of the duvet”.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

The Diceman used to scare the sh1te out of us kids on Grafton Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

..soccer was a contact sport and putting in a fair crunching tackle was part of the game and not a hanging offence
    ..sheep/cow **** on the pitch was normal (or a burnt out car if playing in Cork city's north side)

That was always so incredibly annoying and inconvenient.

You need a second car the other post.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Duvets used to be called continental quilts.

Bosco was king.

• Advertisement

Holidays on the costa del Waterford, Wexford or Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

SAMTALK wrote: »
    ...Back in the day we knew what dinner was going to be every day because the menu stayed the same 7 days a week every week

Ha ha. I remember that. "What's for dinner Ma?". And she'd shoot you a quare look.

The makings of us sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

If a young lad wanted to get the ride on a regular basis he just had to join the alter boys.

Disgusting comment. Not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

When you went to a nightclub you got a voucher at the door for a meal, usually some supernaturally delicious chips and cocktail sausages or something along those lines. Hit the spot nicely at 1:00 am or so after a feed of pints!

Or chicken curry and rice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teroknor83

Eating my body weight in breakfast cereals just to get some little plastic toy in the boxes was a big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

teroknor83 wrote: »
    Eating my body weight in breakfast cereals just to get some little plastic toy in the boxes was a big deal

And the disappointment when you got 2 of the same one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The world didnt go into a panic over a bit of flu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Crock Rock wrote: »
    Disgusting comment. Not funny.
    every thread , there's always one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Queuing up outside a phone box to ring somebody, with a bag of 5p pieces and when the operator connected you, you pressed button A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

When you were playing cards at the Custom House and if you're Big Dawn was caught trying to cross on a short suit....you were fooked in the River Liffey

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Advertisement