Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snooker Shoot Out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Tried watching it for a while but had to switch off. Where do they find the crowd? Local Spoons?

Yep they sound like a right mob, especially when the sing the Pink Panther tune !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I really don't get this format though. Usually when they try to radically change a sport they focus on the things that are good about the sport. So in snooker, the best parts in my mind are break building and thoughtful tactical play. This format supports neither. Instead it supports rushed shots and misses. It's turned a great game into a nonsense with good players looking ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Peter File

It is good fun to watch and gives a lot of the lower ranked players the opportunity to play in front of a big albeit rowdy crowd and the tv cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Jesus fergal was robbed there. Bit of a setback as needs every £ he can get to save the tour card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Only a bit of fun i guess but the crowd is off putting. Some mouthy kid roaring 'ole' after every pot yesterday forced me to turn it off. It's for the short attention span darts crowd. I hate darts and the constant loud noise so snooker is like the antidote to that debauchery and now this Shoot Out has lost it's snooker morals and become like a weekend in Temple Bar. I'll dip in and out and watch the finale on Sunday evening when the money, alcohol consumption and nerves ratchet up a notch or two.

• Advertisement

Just watched the ronnie match to see how bad things got, it was raucous but not wildly so. Ref got herself in a panic, ordering ronnie to stop while down on a shot. Ronnie just ignored her and played on, all good in the end.

Poor Fergal was looking good for a much needed win but the Chinese lad potted a few outrageous long shots to pip the Lucan man at the death. I counted 3 very low percentage shots the Chinese lad potted. Poor Fergal just can't catch a break.

Nice again from hill. Got his chance and took it, did nothing rash. All you can ask for in this format.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

Just watched the ronnie match to see how bad things got, it was raucous but not wildly so. Ref got herself in a panic, ordering ronnie to stop while down on a shot. Ronnie just ignored her and played on, all good in the end.
    Looked to me that O'Sullivan might have fouled on his previous shot but didn't call it on himself and the ref missed it. Then maybe the marker or someone brought it to the ref's attention but she couldn't stop Ronnie before he took his next shot.

Of course, the Eurosport lads never brought it up afterwards.

Crumbs wrote: »
    Looked to me that O'Sullivan might have fouled on his previous shot but didn't call it on himself and the ref missed it. Then maybe the marker or someone brought it to the ref's attention but she couldn't stop Ronnie before he took his next shot.

Yes the shot he played after the yellow was a foul and he should have been pulled up on it. I wonder if it was any other player would the foul have been called. And your correct about Eurosport, Andy Goldstein couldn’t bring it up because he’s tongue is too far up Ronnie’s ****.

Also great to see young Hill win today

• Advertisement

Those noises you are hearing from the crowd are just spontaneous sounds. Brain dead patients often display this and it shouldn't be confused with an improvement in their condition.

Crumbs wrote: »

Yeah, thats obviously what happened. It seems they can use the new technology but once player has got his next shot off, foul doesnt count. Way ronnie plays, that could be an issue with him in any tournament with or without shotclock. Maybe she could have called the foul, had balls replaced, though dont think you can stop the clock here. Just think they could have greater clarity on it one way or the other.

Didn't see that Ronnie foul? Do you guys think he knew he fouled it? I remember he made a veryblatant foul last year by hitting a ball with the restand he never called himself on it and acted all surprised in the Eurosport studio post match when asked about it. To me he cheated as anyone knows anything about snooker there was zero chance of not noticing that foul.

Watched it a few times, its not blatant like the one with the rest last year but marker clearly spots it. You could tell ref was flustered because she forgets to respot green couple of shots later.

Didn't see that Ronnie foul? Do you guys think he knew he fouled it? I remember he made a veryblatant foul last year by hitting a ball with the restand he never called himself on it and acted all surprised in the Eurosport studio post match when asked about it. To me he cheated as anyone knows anything about snooker there was zero chance of not noticing that foul.

To be fair to him when that shot was replayed to him after the match he was genuinely embarrassed and even offered to play the game again. Across the game 99 % of the players will call a foul, look at Barry Pinches yesterday , he calls a foul and loses the frame over it. Without naming names there are however two players who have previous and are well know for it.

Regarding the yellow last night, I’d ask anyone out there who plays or has played the game , has it ever happened to you ? I’ve seen it happen quite a few times, not for one minute saying she’s not a top ref but it’s happened the top guys too.

FR01 wrote: »
    To be fair to him when that shot was replayed to him after the match he was genuinely embarrassed and even offered to play the game again. Across the game 99 % of the players will call a foul, look at Barry Pinches yesterday , he calls a foul and loses the frame over it. Without naming names there are however two players who have previous and are well know for it.

Regarding the yellow last night, I’d ask anyone out there who plays or has played the game , has it ever happened to you ? I’ve seen it happen quite a few times, not for one minute saying she’s not a top ref but it’s happened the top guys too.

Personally i wouldn't give Ronnie any credit for being embarrased post match or offering a rematch. To me it was just Ronnie being regretfup about not owning up to a blatant foul. He then went out and lost his next match 5-1 or something to a player he'd usually beat in his sleep (cant remember exactly who but wasn't a top player). Looked like he wanted out of the competition. I suppose there's always a 2% chance he didn't notice but he cheated 98% for me. And a very blatant one at that. The Eurosport lads didn't question it for long. And that was the end of that.

Its here at 3.46 if anyone wants to judge for themselves. Its a tough situation for ref, not sure what more she can do in the circumstances.

https://youtu.be/Tp90TiNm7so

Its here at 3.46 if anyone wants to judge for themselves. Its a tough situation for ref, not sure what more she can do in the circumstances.

https://youtu.be/Tp90TiNm7so

Thanks for that. Watched it. Again that is quite blatant cheating in my book. Black moved quite a bit. Was very obvious. Referee obviously saw it and quite rightly asked Ronnie to stop but he ignored her and played on. I feel bit sorry for her there. Ronnie had to here her but played on and that is very poor form. Hard to believe that actually. He should have forfeited the frame for ignoring the referee.

Thanks for that. Watched it. Again that is quite blatant cheating in my book. Black moved quite a bit. Was very obvious. Referee obviously saw it and quite rightly asked Ronnie to stop but he ignored her and played on. I feel bit sorry for her there. Ronnie had to here her but played on and that is very poor form. Hard to believe that actually. He should have forfeited the frame for ignoring the referee.

Not sure what the actually ruling is there?

No, the ref doesnt see it, but is obviously hearing it from the marker and tries to intercede before ronnie takes the shot. Question is should she still have called the foul anyway? There's no precedent for it so i cant see its her fault. Whether ronnie knew he'd fouled is another thing, with the rest incident i have little doubt, but this one is nowhere near as blatant so i dont know.

• Advertisement

No, the ref doesnt see it, but is obviously hearing it from the marker and tries to intercede before ronnie takes the shot. Question is should she still have called the foul anyway? There's no precedent for it so i cant see its her fault. Whether ronnie knew he'd fouled is another thing, with the rest incident i have little doubt, but this one is nowhere near as blatant so i dont know.

Last night you could write off as a mistake on both parties involved, even McManus should have said something. I’m still off the opinion that last years foul wasn’t intentional, but you know what they say about opinions !

And how about Carter recently ? Says he hit the ball but tv replays clearly say he didn’t !

Final word should rest with the ref, as in case with Jan Verhass in the World final 2 years ago.

Not sure what the actually ruling is there?

Not sure myself but its bang out of order ignoring the referee calling out his name in a quite loud manner. Even if he was mid shot he should have acknowledged her after that shot but continued to ignore her. I think its a disgrace. I was always a big fan of Romnie's talent and playing style but i have lost a bit of respect for him for his bulllying of referees and cheating and basic lack of manners and courtesy over the years. Really hope he doesn't win this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭BQQ

Why not call a spade a spade?
    Ronnie O’Sullivan and Ali Carter are cheats!

The issue last night is more about technology than what players do or dont do and to whom and why we should give benefit of doubt. I dont see why there cant be a decree arrived at setting out what this technology can do and how it is going to be used. Explain it to everybody, refs, players, fans. Not a learn as we go along thing. Last night is just the shootout so nobodys too bothered, but wait for it to happen in a deciding frame at the crucible and then what?

The issue last night is more about technology than what players do or dont do and to whom and why we should give benefit of doubt. I dont see why there cant be a decree arrived at setting out what this technology can do and how it is going to be used. Explain it to everybody, refs, players, fans. Not a learn as we go along thing. Last night is just the shootout so nobodys too bothered, but wait for it to happen in a deciding frame at the crucible and then what?

Shoot Out or not i think its deplorable that the games greatest player cheated and then made it worse by blatantly ignoring a referee calling his name in quite an audible manner. What kind of an example is that setting for respecting referees'? Everyone is afraid of Ronnie and you lads said nothing was even said about it on Eurosport post match. Don't question or upset Ronnie seems to be the mantra as he will make your life difficult.

If the have announcements for time, and noises for seconds remaining, surely they can have a time off sound that either referee can signal. O'Sullivan should be disqualified, but then again the ref should've been more assertive. She made a few mistakes, also put the yellow on the green spot at one point.

If the have announcements for time, and noises for seconds remaining, surely they can have a time off sound that either referee can signal. O'Sullivan should be disqualified, but then again the ref should've been more assertive. She made a few mistakes, also put the yellow on the green spot at one point.

She made that mistake on the yellow because understandably she was a bit rattled due to Ronnie blatantly ignoring her calling his attention. No way is it her fault. If Ronnie had any decency he would have acknowledged her and she would have told him about the foul and that would be the end of it. What was she to do, scream.a little louder for him to stop?

She made that mistake on the yellow because understandably she was a bit rattled due to Ronnie blatantly ignoring her calling his attention. No way is it her fault. If Ronnie had any decency he would have acknowledged her and she would have told him about the foul and that would be the end of it. What was she to do, scream.a little louder for him to stop?
    I agree with you. What I'm saying is if there was a noise that either the referee or the scorer could initiate to signal time off, it woukd be beneficial for all. The ref obviously didn't notice the foul but the scorer did. He should have been able to stop the clock and clear up the issue.

No excuse really, she’s the ref, if she’s easily rattled then choose a different sport to officiate in.

My question still remains as to why didn’t McManus pipe up ? He’s not one to sit on the fence, he certainly calls a spade a spade.

• Advertisement

No excuse really, she’s the ref, if she’s easily rattled then choose a different sport to officiate in.

My question still remains as to why didn’t McManus pipe up ? He’s not one to sit on the fence, he certainly calls a spade a spade.

She asked Ronnie to stop? What more can she do if he ignores her and carries on? Disgraceful lack of sportsmanship.

Advertisement