Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

State Examinations Superintendent

Options
  • 13-05-2019 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering when I find out where abouts I will be doing superintendent for the coming state exams? I received an acceptance form from the Department and I responded saying I would take the job but haven't heard anything since.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

You will receive notice of your centre during the last week of term. It's usually around the Wed or Thurs so 29/30 May.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

sitstill wrote:
    You will receive notice of your centre during the last week of term. It's usually around the Wed or Thurs so 29/30 May.

Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Aquals

It’s awful how late they leave it to inform us. I know that giving out about this is like banging your head off a brick wall, but it makes planning for anything in June very difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

sitstill wrote: »

Bear in mind you won't actually know your schedule though till the Tues when you collect your box of papers.
    Got caught one year when I realised I had 3 students with the extra 20 mins for breaks in a leaving cert centre and couldn't arrange childcare for that time - english wasn't finishing till something like 5.40 or something and my creche - a good 40 mins away closed at 6. No accounting of family commitments taken. Or you're not even sure of end date till you open the box on the tues. Its a right pain

Could anyone give me a quick run down of what the job entails? Is it just collecting the papers and distributing them to the students then sending them back? Sorry but I have not done it before and I haven't spoke to anyone who has yet. Curious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,109 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Before you start.
    Collect big box of papers from large local centre. Make arrangements to store it securely in school or Garda station.

Before exams.
    Check centre(s). Not sure if you have to put the numbers on the desks, but if you don't make sure they are done properly.

First day of exams
    Explain rules to candidates. Check ID of any external/adult students. Make sure they are in their assigned centres (if you have 'Reasonable accommodations' candidates). Make sure the supervisors of any RA centres know to come to your centre in good time to get their papers each day.

Each day
    Get a student to sign paper packet to make sure it has not been interfered with.
    Supervise exam according to the rules. If anyone from the school tries to get into the room tell them no. Stick strictly to the rules and you cover yourself.
    Do out a plan of the room showing where everyone is sitting and write a record of anything unusual that happens.
    Following each day's exam, get to the Post Office to send papers back to Athlone, or if exam finished too late, make sure they are stored securely in the safe.

It's been a while since I did it, but that's more or less it, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

spurious wrote: »
    Before you start.
    Collect big box of papers from large local centre. Make arrangements to store it securely in school or Garda station.

Before exams.
    Check centre(s). Not sure if you have to put the numbers on the desks, but if you don't make sure they are done properly.

First day of exams
    Explain rules to candidates. Check ID of any external/adult students. Make sure they are in their assigned centres (if you have 'Reasonable accommodations' candidates). Make sure the supervisors of any RA centres know to come to your centre in good time to get their papers each day.

Each day
    Get a student to sign paper packet to make sure it has not been interfered with.... AND IT'S THE CORRECT SUBJECT / PAPER / :D
    Supervise exam according to the rules. If anyone from the school tries to get into the room tell them no. Stick strictly to the rules and you cover yourself.
    Do out a plan of the room showing where everyone is sitting and write a record of anything unusual that happens.
    Following each day's exam, get to the Post Office to send papers back to Athlone, or if exam finished too late, make sure they are stored securely in the safe.

FYP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,109 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I forgot something. In some schools you are responsible for paying the student who sits outside your door too.

spurious wrote:
    Each day Get a student to sign paper packet to make sure it has not been interfered with. Supervise exam according to the rules. If anyone from the school tries to get into the room tell them no. Stick strictly to the rules and you cover yourself. Do out a plan of the room showing where everyone is sitting and write a record of anything unusual that happens. Following each day's exam, get to the Post Office to send papers back to Athlone, or if exam finished too late, make sure they are stored securely in the safe.

spurious wrote:
    First day of exams Explain rules to candidates. Check ID of any external/adult students. Make sure they are in their assigned centres (if you have 'Reasonable accommodations' candidates). Make sure the supervisors of any RA centres know to come to your centre in good time to get their papers each day.

spurious wrote:
    Before you start. Collect big box of papers from large local centre. Make arrangements to store it securely in school or Garda station.

spurious wrote:
    Before exams. Check centre(s). Not sure if you have to put the numbers on the desks, but if you don't make sure they are done properly.

spurious wrote:
    Before you start. Collect big box of papers from large local centre. Make arrangements to store it securely in school or Garda station.

spurious wrote:
    Before exams. Check centre(s). Not sure if you have to put the numbers on the desks, but if you don't make sure they are done properly.

spurious wrote:
    First day of exams Explain rules to candidates. Check ID of any external/adult students. Make sure they are in their assigned centres (if you have 'Reasonable accommodations' candidates). Make sure the supervisors of any RA centres know to come to your centre in good time to get their papers each day.

spurious wrote:
    Each day Get a student to sign paper packet to make sure it has not been interfered with. Supervise exam according to the rules. If anyone from the school tries to get into the room tell them no. Stick strictly to the rules and you cover yourself. Do out a plan of the room showing where everyone is sitting and write a record of anything unusual that happens. Following each day's exam, get to the Post Office to send papers back to Athlone, or if exam finished too late, make sure they are stored securely in the safe.

spurious wrote:

Thanks for this. Sounds a bit daunting to be honest. Do they provide adequate training for new superintendents beforehand? I'm assuming that will be the Tuesday before if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Thanks for this. Sounds a bit daunting to be honest. Do they provide adequate training for new superintendents beforehand? I'm assuming that will be the Tuesday before if so.

If you are doing it for the first time, you are required to watch a video prior to collecting your box of papers. Or view this https://www.examinations.ie/?l=en&mc=cs&sc=cs

It is very daunting to begin with but once you follow instructions - you'll be fine.
    Ask other superintendents if you need to. The exam secretary was very helpful to me in my first year.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the information. Will I be working for the entirety of the exams or how long does someone typically 'superintend' for? I was taking it for granted that I'd working until the final day of the leaving cert but that doesn't seem to be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Thanks for all the information. Will I be working for the entirety of the exams or how long does someone typically 'superintend' for? I was taking it for granted that I'd working until the final day of the leaving cert but that doesn't seem to be the case.

From what i experienced the minority subjects were at the end so the rooms shut down and consolidated. The junior superintendents finished up first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Post for examination aide went up in my school today. Bit late no? I'd be interested but don't know anything about the pay. What's it like? Presumably no mileage allowance. And do you HAVE to be there every day? I'm marking and my conference will be one of the first so exams won't be finished in our school by then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Post for examination aide went up in my school today. Bit late no? I'd be interested but don't know anything about the pay. What's it like? Presumably no mileage allowance. And do you HAVE to be there every day? I'm marking and my conference will be one of the first so exams won't be finished in our school by then
    Is it for reader etc?
    You get paid per exam. It is something like €56 (the daily rate divided by 2!)
    In my school you are assigned to a student based on what days you want and also say if you have French/German etc!
    Honestly not worth it as I would need childcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Millem wrote: »
    Is it for reader etc?
    You get paid per exam. It is something like €56 (the daily rate divided by 2!)
    In my school you are assigned to a student based on what days you want and also say if you have French/German etc!
    Honestly not worth it as I would need childcare.

Exams aide is different - you're the person meeting with superintendents, setting up centres and dealing with any problems that occur. I think the pay is the same pay as superintendents daily rate but you'll be there until last exam so more pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Exams aide is different - you're the person meeting with superintendents, setting up centres and dealing with any problems that occur. I think the pay is the same pay as superintendents daily rate but you'll be there until last exam so more pay.

Oh yeah that person! They get €112 per day I think no mileage etc....not worth it as they need to stay until the end of the day...until last person is gone!
    In my own school it is a retired teacher who does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rossean

Letters out today assigning centres to superintendents.

rossean wrote: »
    Letters out today assigning centres to superintendents.

Being sent out today (arrival Monday) or delivered today?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rossean

Being sent out today (arrival Monday) or delivered today?

Delivered today.

• Advertisement

I didn’t get mine with today’s post :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Mines an absolute disaster. Don’t know what to do? I’ll have to resign.

Postgrad10 wrote:
    Mines an absolute disaster. Don’t know what to do? I’ll have to resign.

How bad? Long commute?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I applied and got an appt letter a few months ago but don't think I'll get a centre due to requesting short stint. No letter here either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

Didn't get location letter either. Some colleagues did and others didn't. We would all have got appointment letter. Assuming it will come Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Aquals

I requested to finish on Tues 11th June and that’s exactly what I got in my letter yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Green_Zero

Sorry if this has been asked before but what is rate of pay per exam for Superintendents?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

It’s per day for SEC appointed superintendents. School attendants get paid by exam , not sure how much they get.

The letter that we get tells us to ring the school to tell them at what time we will arrive on Tuesday. Do people actually do this? I have found that every year when I ring, the person on the other end of the phone - secretary presumably - has no idea what I am talking about. I was assigned to a different school this year and just made the phone call and there was the same confusion on the other end, so it made me think that maybe Superintendents don't actually bother to do this?

• Advertisement

sitstill wrote:
    The letter that we get tells us to ring the school to tell them at what time we will arrive on Tuesday. Do people actually do this? I have found that every year when I ring, the person on the other end of the phone - secretary presumably - has no idea what I am talking about. I was assigned to a different school this year and just made the phone call and there was the same confusion on the other end, so it made me think that maybe Superintendents don't actually bother to do this?

I did it yesterday and thankfully she knew what I was talking about but I was full sure she wouldn't before I called!

Advertisement