Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amsterdam Marathon

• 19-06-2016 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

apologies if this post is in the wrong forum, and feel free to move it, if it is.

I am thinking of doing the Amsterdam Marathon this Oct, looking for a flat course to give myself every chance of breaking 3 hours.

Just wondering if anyone has ran Amsterdam before and could share some tips and if anyone could recommend accommodation thats handy for the start area.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

If your running the marathon stay out of the coffee shops and don't eat space cakes for breakfast haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Maybe a Mod could move this to the Events forum, will get more traction there I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yeah, open the events forum and search for Amsterdam, you'll find lots of discussion of the race

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Have done the half there, starts a few hours after the marathon.
    The marathon starts and finishes at the Olympic stadium which is a little outside the city, but well serviced by the tram/train system. When I was there you were able to buy a discounted travel pass after collecting your number.
    So get a hotel in the city center it will be much better 'craic' afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Pros:

Easy to get to
    Flat as fook
    Nice finish in Olympic Stadium
    Ok support on the route

Cons:

Bit congested leaving the stadium at the off
    Water in cups (if that bothers you)
    Course is boring (if that bothers you)
    Weather can be hit and miss, I did it two years ago and it was hot and humid

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Pros:

Easy to get to
    Flat as fook
    Nice finish in Olympic Stadium
    Ok support on the route

Cons:

Bit congested leaving the stadium at the off
    Water in cups (if that bothers you)
    Course is boring (if that bothers you)
    Weather can be hit and miss, I did it two years ago and it was hot and humid

TbL

Also: dodgy sub-3 choice, potentially. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Amadeus 2014

Absolutely my fave race with only Rotterdam getting anywhere close. It's a few years since I ran it but it's probably your best option for a fast autumn marathon.

The race starts and ends in the old Olympic Stadium and there is a hotel pretty close to there (easy walk before, very hard walk after!) that I would recommend. I can't remember what it's called but it is right next to the train station with a direct line to the airport and just a couple of stops from the city, google will find it pretty quickly. My own view is its better to stay near the race to minimise temptation to go for a wander the night before and ease hassle on the day. You can always hop a stop or two into town for a beer (or whatever...) after you have had a post race rest.

The course isn't great but has a decent stretch by the river. Supply proof of prior times and you'll get into a pen near the start with minimal / no congestion off the line and there is no better race feeling than coming in the stadium and doing half a lap on the track to finish (with the probable exception of the Berlin finish there aren't any better). Course could not be flatter but there are some slightly broken surfaces around halfway to watch for.

Not much of an after party though - because there are so many bars in the center and the race is out of town people seem to disperse. Great option though, especially for a sub 3

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ploughon

Hi Folks,

thanks for all your replies.

The course (as long as its flat) or the crowds, wouldn't bother me, but I will have to get some practice in drinking from a cup (while running:, I can usually manage it at home, usually).

Hotel near the start/finish would be the way to go for me too, thanks Amadeus.

Flights and accommodation don't look too bad at this stage...time to get of the fence and commit...soon!

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Amadeus 2014

The name of that hotel came back to me :) The "Qbic", pretty basic but did the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Was only looking at Qbic last night, €230 a night be best I could see. I'm also in the ...time to get of the fence and commit...soon! category.

• Advertisement

Off the fence now...hotel, flights and race booked:eek:

Amsterdam here we come!

Starting to get off the fence - airport hotel booked for the Sat, probably just going to go over Sat am and back Sun night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Been there, done that. Olympic stadium yada, yada, exorcise your inner Fanny Blankers-Koen etc, etc (contd p. 94).

Other than the Rijksmuseum and a few other points of interest in the city the course is staggeringly dull with long stretches along a dreary canal. It's flat sure - it's the Netherlands, after all.

On the plus side the Expo is good (Mizuno, etc), and AMS is easy to get to from DUB (you can even get in a quick 5K warm-up from the arrival gate to the lobby of Schiphol). In all, if you're new to the marathon game, this is a good one to do. It won't kill you and you can easily knock off the Dublin marathon after it too.

On the downside ,once you register it will be about 2 weeks before the event before you hear from the organizers again re: final arrangements and pick up: this can be slightly nerve-wracking re: accommodation and flight booking. But it will be OK... they know what they are doing.

Try eBookers or AirBnB for accommodation. Public transport in AMS is good and I took trains and trams throughout (get yourself an OV Chipkaart at Schipol). I flew in on Sat morning from DUB and out again on the Monday.

No bother to you at all.

Bump.

Anyone else heading for Amsterdam ??

Yep, I got off the fence, went with Sat morning flight, airport hotel and back Sunday night. Training was going well, minor injury niggling now but still hoping to get Flatline done this weekend.

"Yep, I got off the fence, went with Sat morning flight, airport hotel and back Sunday night. Training was going well, minor injury niggling now but still hoping to get Flatline done this weekend."

Hi Shuttle666,
    hope that injury settles down and good luck with Flatline.

We are getting close now!

I havent got around to practicing drinking from a cup at MP yet, that will be fun.

I havent heard anything back since I registered, have you?

Hate water in cups, but if I want a gel bad enough, I'll slow down not to choke on it! Haven't heard anything from them, but previous poster suggested you don't, so not going to worry about it.

Shuttle666 wrote: »
    Hate water in cups, but if I want a gel bad enough, I'll slow down not to choke on it! Haven't heard anything from them, but previous poster suggested you don't, so not going to worry about it.

Good idea to slow down a little to get the fluids in. Read a post here from someone who ran sub 3 (i think) and walked through the water stations to get the drink down, might have to be done if the day is warm.

I got an email today( "Your In"), to say the entries are now closed and we will get an email on 8th of Oct with details for number pick up etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Hi,

Doing this on Sunday as well. Looking forward to it, also due to the novelty/excitement associated with it being my first marathon and all...!

Quick query that I saw someone ask in another internet forum but that went unanswered and which may be applicable to all marathons, not just Amsterdam: do people typically bring an old top/jumper with them into the starting area to keep warm in the 30mins or so before the race kicks off and then discard it just before the start? Just noting that the recent email from the organisers said that loose clothing would not be allowed into the starting area.

Just trying to think of how best to manage the waiting around period. Will be a fresh 9 degrees or so when it starts on Sunday morning, so don't want to be freezing waiting around before it kicks off!

Any suggestions on that would be great (and of course any other tips on pre-race practices if people want to proffer!)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Hi,

Doing this on Sunday as well. Looking forward to it, also due to the novelty/excitement associated with it being my first marathon and all...!

Quick query that I saw someone ask in another internet forum but that went unanswered and which may be applicable to all marathons, not just Amsterdam: do people typically bring an old top/jumper with them into the starting area to keep warm in the 30mins or so before the race kicks off and then discard it just before the start? Just noting that the recent email from the organisers said that loose clothing would not be allowed into the starting area.

Just trying to think of how best to manage the waiting around period. Will be a fresh 9 degrees or so when it starts on Sunday morning, so don't want to be freezing waiting around before it kicks off!

Any suggestions on that would be great (and of course any other tips on pre-race practices if people want to proffer!)

Thanks

An old top or alternatively wear a bin liner by cutting a hole in it and pull it over ur head. Keeps you very warm and easy to discard. Also can't be classed as "loose clothing" :)

TbL

• Advertisement

An old top or alternatively wear a bin liner by cutting a hole in it and pull it over ur head. Keeps you very warm and easy to discard. Also can't be classed as "loose clothing" :)

TbL

Ah the old bin liner, had forgotten about that as an option!

Cool, will rummage around the wardrobe later for an old jumper or else stick a couple of liners in the suitcase.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks

I saw that being mentioned, but I took it to mean that anything you bring into the stadium is disposable (they mention will be going to charity) and that you can't go back out to the left luggage area. Don't think they can police what's loose or not, put your bib on the old jumper or whatever if there's any issue??

plus one on that shuttie666.

Heading over tomorrow.

The weather looks good for Sunday morning.

Best of luck to you both and anyone else heading over.

Enjoy!

Well........how did you get on folks?

The heat got to me and I ended up well off my target.

Great event...few bottlenecks early on and water in cups!!...apart from that...great event

Yeah, unseasonably warm weather for it but it was manageable with the excellent water (and sponge!) stations throughout the course.

I can see why some people may complain about certain parts of course - section from c. 25k to 30k was faceless industrial park - but I found it generally good and the crowds were fantastic.

Coming back into the stadium to finish after those few hours out on the circuit will stay long in the memory as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

Yeah, unseasonably warm weather for it but it was manageable with the excellent water (and sponge!) stations throughout the course.

I can see why some people may complain about certain parts of course - section from c. 25k to 30k was faceless industrial park - but I found it generally good and the crowds were fantastic.

Coming back into the stadium to finish after those few hours out on the circuit will stay long in the memory as well.

Yeah, but how did you GET ON? (Time?)

Itziger wrote: »
    Yeah, but how did you GET ON? (Time?)

Ha, straight to the point!

Went around in just under 3.20. Debut marathon so that's the marker laid down now to try and beat in the future (should I ever decide to put myself through that pain again!)

Went around in just under 3.20. Debut marathon so that's the marker laid down now to try and beat in the future (should I ever decide to put myself through that pain again!)

Good time for your first Marathon, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

What pain? ;)

Good stuff. Helps to have a marker for sure. Now you'll have a much better idea of what you're capable of. Most on here will have run a good few before finding their best time.

And some of us are still looking.

• Advertisement

Marathon #5 for me, only done Dublin, Dingle, Lock out the Year up to now. 5 minutes off Dublin PB, but happy enough with 3:34:50 - had planned on sticking with 3:30 pacers but they went off at some pace, caught them at 10km and dared go in front of them for the next 10-15 km. Wheels came off the wagon from 35km and I had to drop the pace quite a bit.

It's the start of the season in another sport I play, so speed sessions in the run up and tapering week before suffered, but that's a choice I made. Overall, it was a good experience, would go over a day earlier if doing it again. Route and support were better than expected, especially the bit out along the river, but I can imagine this would not be too pleasant in wind or rain. Stations were fine, the water from the cup bearable, and the sponges unexpectly useful as the temperature rose.

Flew home Sunday evening, was back playing badminton on Tuesday night and got in 6k on grass at lunchtime so recovery coming along!

Advertisement