Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Max Powers wrote: »
    if you have no hope, you have nothing.

There is always a way, just before you jump the ship to the USA, (this is meant to be a positive thread so I cant understand some other poster talking about things closing down) there is hope, you must be able to see the good things happening down in the V.T. There are free retraining options, im sure there are people in worse positions than yourself, if you are posting here, presumably you have a roof over your head, food in your belly and a laptop to look on here.
    If you move to another country, you will miss a lot of the things you have here, not just the blaas, countries such as the US which we all kinda look up to in a way have far worse labour practices, less time off, a bit less personal.

Yeah and Australia have big nasty spiders! Guy i know got into his van for work and looked around and found a Red back just behind his head! took a photo and got out of his van and waited for the man who can!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

• We (Waterford People) done an amazing job in funding the setting up of the Solas centre.
    • The Ryan and Ethan appeal for the 2 kids from Tramore needing expensive treatment, saw mother of kids on WLR saying thanks to people of Waterford.
    • Cystic Fibrosis kids rooms campaign for WRH, there seems to be a good few events happening in support of this worthy project also. Just normal Waterford people pledging €, cycling to donegal and doing other stuff. I dont know how far they are but think they need about 200k

All in all, examples like above renew my faith in my local comrades and is something we can be positive about especially if you gave a few quid.

There is a good bit of positivity in relation to various civil construction works that are due to start soon in the Munster Express, page 3 I think. If all get going, they will hopefully create a few jobs and will definitely improve the look of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

There is a good bit of positivity in relation to various civil construction works that are due to start soon in the Munster Express, page 3 I think. If all get going, they will hopefully create a few jobs and will definitely improve the look of the place.

Don't have the paper but presume it mentions the Glanbia plant at Belview and the New Ross Bypass? Any others?

Theres suppose to be that big development where waterford crystal is, if its done right it can be seen as a positive!

• Advertisement

tonc76 wrote: »
    Don't have the paper but presume it mentions the Glanbia plant at Belview and the New Ross Bypass? Any others?

Tonc, its not related to those things, its civil works around the quays, waterside, the mall, waterside and other stuff around the city that are all positive.

everyday hero here in Waterford. Take a bow Harry.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hero-harry-has-saved-his-sisters-life-more-than-20-times-29292497.html

LITTLE Isabelle doesn't need a superhero in her life – she already has her eight-year-old brother who has saved her life at least 20 times.

Now 18-months-old, Isabelle was born at 28 weeks and her prematurity is responsible for her having 'apnoea of prematurity', which regularly causes her to stop breathing for at least 20 seconds.

Harry saved her life after putting into practise the basic life-saving skills he learnt with the Irish Red Cross T-Bears – aka the Teddy Bears. The course teaches those aged between five and 10 first aid.

"He is very calm and was sure of himself because of the practice he had done using mannequins. I am a Red Cross leader in another group but I haven't saved anyone's life and Harry has," said Maria.

The family were in their Waterford home when Isabelle stopped breathing for the first time.

"She had cried a little then gone silent and turned blue. Harry was holding her and he tapped her foot and called her name. Then when she didn't respond, just like in his training, he breathed twice into her mouth and she came round.

"She would have passed away but for his quick thinking."

As a result of the condition, there is a special alarm in Isabelle's cot.

Maria said that more often than not Harry is faster out of bed when he hears it and, "he has saved her life at least 20 more times".

"He is an amazing son and brother and I am very proud of him."

Harry is delighted with a certificate of merit award he received from the Irish Red Cross.

"I am really happy I was able to save Isabelle's life and maybe if you join the Irish Red Cross you would learn how to save a life too."

Harry's T-bear group was trained by Maria's brother Derek Condon (39), while her other daughter Molly (5) also knows basic first aid.

Darren Ryan, chairman of the Irish Red Cross Youth Working Group said: "Harry's heroic actions show that first aid training for young people can really make a difference."

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The former Brunch restaurant which closed in Georges Court is being re-opened as "No. 9" serving Breakfast, Lunch & Tea. The same people who manager Eat Me Sandwidch Bars, Lily O'Briens, The Chocolate Cafe, The Ship Restaurant in Dunmore East and Chez K's are running this restaurant.

Also Clark's Shoes in the City Center is being refitted at the moment, which is a positive sign. We also have Penny's extension, so that's good to see investment in the City Center.

Local Business Groups have launched 'Friday After 5';

- Free parking from 5pm in all City Council Car Parks, the Aldi Car Park and Tracey's Hotel Car Park.
    - Free on street entertainment
    - Promotions in participating shops.
    - Family Friendly
    - Restaurant & Pub Offers.
    - Shops Opening Late.

https://www.facebook.com/WaterfordCityCentre?fref=ts

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Also in the positive news today;

- Unemployment dropped in Waterford*
    - Betapond announced a 2million investment (The company emerged from Waterford and has grown to include offices in London, Dublin and San Jose, California.)

Sully wrote: »
    Also in the positive news today;

- Unemployment dropped in Waterford*
    - Betapond announced a 2million investment (The company emerged from Waterford and has grown to include offices in London, Dublin and San Jose, California.)

Betapond, never heard of them but great news. What are the new unemployment figures?? (WARNING: we all know its a figure that is too high, even with a drop, this is a positive thread)

• Advertisement

Betapond, never heard of them but great news. What are the new unemployment figures?? (WARNING: we all know its a figure that is too high, even with a drop, this is a positive thread)

I meant to add the small print from my *

When not compared with immigration figures.

:pac:

Not sure about Waterford figures wise, bit of a decent drop around the country if I heard the news correctly.

Onwards and Upwards - I get knocked down etc. :)

Nice to see positive stories on here! The ol crystal site seems to be having bit of work doin on it, maybe its the start of something big!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Because we Are the Sunny Southeast again.....

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Because we Are the Sunny Southeast again.....

You beat me to it, nice to see the sun again!

Positive with some possibly temporary negative with this one.

Quay works from GPO to Clock tower to start Monday (10th), this is I presume to do with the previous works (GPO to Greyfriars) and making the quay specifically a more pedestrian friendly area for us locals and tourists.

(Please do not leave negative comments about 'needs of drivers' etc. All the issues have come up in a previous thread and most people thought although roadworks will be a pain, outcomes will be positive.

Positive with some possibly temporary negative with this one.

Quay works from GPO to Clock tower to start Monday (10th), this is I presume to do with the previous works (GPO to Greyfriars) and making the quay specifically a more pedestrian friendly area for us locals and tourists.

(Please do not leave negative comments about 'needs of drivers' etc. All the issues have come up in a previous thread and most people thought although roadworks will be a pain, outcomes will be positive.

Have to admit i saw one good point in having that roudabout its generally just used for people coming towards the tower to swing round and make their way back up the quay, its mainly bus's i see doing this though.

The Castle got Best Hotel Restaurant award for all of Munster and The Tannery in Dungarvan got best Restaurant in Ireland overall. Have had the pleasure of eating in both, both absolutely amazing. Fair play to Paul Flynn in Dungarvan, always promotes Waterford and its produce, the chef in the Castle does similar work too.

http://www.irishrestaurantawards.com/winners-finalists.html#&panel1-1

With the above, other excellent places in the city and Michelin starred Cliff-House out in Ardmore (out of my price range for now), craft beers, Waterford is well placed for food lovers.

+blaas best of all

was down around the park there enjoying the fine weather at the weekend and the flood works that are happening look pretty good and will make the place look better, nice stone wall etc. In fairness to the council, i was sceptical about the glass wall on the quay, but it looks well, I presume it has been tested by high waters at this stage too so no major issues.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/waterford-amateur-phelan-seizes-us-open-opportunity-1.1428670

Kevin Phelan doing well at the start of the US open. What are the odds on him beating tiger on the final day, im sure he would say slim but sure fair play to him.

Bausch and Lomb looking for PP for 2 storey extension to factory. More jobs hopefully. Very happy to see this, B&L was taken over by a Canadian Company couple weeks back. Hopefully it will all run smoothly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

SPRAOI 2013 is coming up soon & they are looking for volunteers!

**** CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS ****
    Hello all... its just another Manic Monday... here at the Spraoi Studios, dont forget about our drop in VOULNTEER OPEN EVENING this Thursday between 7pm and 9pm out in our lovely Spraoi Studios in Carrickpherish (beside An Post Sorting Office), All welcome - whether you're already a volunteer, or you want to sign up for the first time. Remember though - you must be 16 or over. Lots of information about Spraoi Festival 2013, so come along and have a cuppa and sign up for the 2013 festival. Looking forward to seeing you all!

https://www.facebook.com/SpraoiWaterford

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭decies

Just down in city centre , quay car parks full, great young band playing in red square yet the town seems deserted . Where do people disappear to ??

decies wrote: »
    Just down in city centre , quay car parks full, great young band playing in red square yet the town seems deserted . Where do people disappear to ??

Seemed busy enough when I was there a while ago, and the band had only started. The band is promoting Daytripper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Bausch and Lomb looking for PP for 2 storey extension to factory. More jobs hopefully. Very happy to see this, B&L was taken over by a Canadian Company couple weeks back. Hopefully it will all run smoothly.

They got the planning permission rumours going around that they could be taking on up to 250 people which if true is great news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

The sun is out again. Nice.

The Dumore East "Food Festival" is on this weekend, although i didnt think it was much of a food festival more a bits and bobs sale. I think a few years ago they had lots more stalls with Actuall food i mean really nice food on display, this might have something to do with the whole New Ross celebrations this weekend, Hopefylly it will have more stalls at it tomorrow.

Over 50 new jobs announced yesterday for Waterford with the opening of a new restaurant where Brunch was and somewhere else I can't recall. Heard it on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Sully wrote: »
    Over 50 new jobs announced yesterday for Waterford with the opening of a new restaurant where Brunch was and somewhere else I can't recall. Heard it on the radio.

New Restaurant beside Bodega - opening next week

jennygirl wrote: »
    New Restaurant beside Bodega - opening next week

Yeah don't think that was the second jobs announcement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Hugely succesful DayTripper Festival. Roll on DayTripper 2014.

Advertisement