Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaders Debate part 2 :)

• 14-02-2011 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

The second televised general election debate will be held in the Irish Republic on Monday night.

MOD EDIT: Watch it here: http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0214/election_tracker.html#article

The leaders of Fianna Fail, Fine Gael, the Labour Party, the Green Party and Sinn Fein are taking part.

The debate will be broadcast live on RTE as part of The Frontline programme.

Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny, who is widely tipped to be the next prime minister did not take part in the first leaders debate last week. Mr Kenny said it was due to "scheduling".

Meanwhile, the potential coalition partners continued to trade blows over their economic plans.

Labour Party leader Eamon Gilmore again pointed to what he said was a 5bn euro gap in Fine Gael sums, while Fine Gael's Michael Noonan insisted the Labour platform was built on unattainable growth projections.

I am really looking forward to tonights debate,they are all snipping at eachother like class room rivals lol So anyone see these inconsistency's in FG sums Labour is talking about?
    Good luck to Gerry tonight.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

caseyann wrote: »

:confused:

Anyhoo, looking forward to it. Is it just an hour long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

:confused:

Anyhoo, looking forward to it. Is it just an hour long?

It seems,it is only on for half hour :confused: That cant be right can it?
    The other main party leaders will be preparing for this evening's five-way debate and attending policy launches.

Labour will be launching its plan for Jobseekers at a news conference in Dublin, while Sinn Féin is launching its health policy document on Kildare Street in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭RetroBate

I am really looking forward to tonights debate,they are all snipping at eachother like class room rivals lol So anyone see these inconsistency's in FG sums Labour is talking about?

Gave your game away there.

Probably will watch it and think one or two of them came across well and then listen to the apré-debate experts to be informed that someone else "won hands down".

I've already made up my mind how to tactically vote in this election.

RetroBate wrote: »
    Gave your game away there.

Probably will watch it and think one or two of them came across well and then listen to the apré-debate experts to be informed that someone else "won hands down".

I've already made up my mind how to tactically vote in this election.

How so? What is my game? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭GSF

Why Gerry? Do you think he will need it? Why not best wishes to Enda? ;)

• Advertisement

GSF wrote: »
    Why Gerry? Do you think he will need it? Why not best wishes to Enda? ;)

With all the SF bashers and haters he is going to be ten fold having to get his point across tonight.Will the Irish who are blah blah blah about SF actually going to open their ears and minds and listen before making judgment? Lesson to be learned they only jump on band wagons alot of them as you can see on boards.
    And i dont like any of the others to wish them any luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭GSF

With all the SF bashers and haters he is going to be ten fold having to get his point across tonight.Will the Irish who are blah blah blah about SF actually going to open their ears and minds and listen before making judgment?

Listening to Adams talking economics allowed me to form a judgement that he hasnt a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭Trampas

what happens if kenny misses his flight back from germany?

could it happen?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't think this is going to be an actual debate. Afaik it's going to be a question and answer session with each leader taking questions from a (hand-picked) member of the audience. I assume we will get questions like, "I just lost my job, I'm very angry, what are you going to do about jobs?", etc.

I think I'll give this one a pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

this is going to have the feeling of a party political broadcast for FF, if they have their usual audience

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭RetroBate

What happens if kenny misses his flight back from Germany?

Could it happen?
    Yes, as anyone who has been to Berlin Knows they have 2 of everything there (a legacy from when it was divided), so he might go to the wrong airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Ray Burkes Pension

The second televised general election debate will be held in the Irish Republic on Monday night.

Copy and pasted from BBC?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

The where?

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

First 800 years of oppression, now this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

The Irish Republic was a de-facto state that existed between 1916 and 1919 that covered the entire island of Ireland. What exists today is Ireland (someones called the Republic of Ireland though not constitutionally although it is a republic) it came into being in 1949.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

darkman2 wrote: »
    The where?

What?

Yar!! He certainly isn't a free stater that's for sure! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its 90 mins, or rather its 90 mins minus opening credits and intro chat, 3 ad breaks (prolly) winding up and end credits so about 65 mins, then take into account the time taken to ask the questions and some cross-chatter and I reckon each candidate will have to avoid dropping a clanger for all of 9 mins.

Listening to Adams talking economics allowed me to form a judgement that he hasnt a clue.

Ah but the people you have put in power for the last how many years are masters on it(stones glass houses and all that ;) )

LOL sorry yes copied from BBC,forgot to add the link :o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12445851

I don't think this is going to be an actual debate. Afaik it's going to be a question and answer session with each leader taking questions from a (hand-picked) member of the audience. I assume we will get questions like, "I just lost my job, I'm very angry, what are you going to do about jobs?", etc.

I think I'll give this one a pass.

I heard them on the news about tonight,and they said it is going to be a very tight schedule suits them all if they dont get cornered on the issues people are actually not happy with for each party.As something as important as a meant to be debate and answers you would think they would say feck savage eye and put on later stage :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

The Irish Republic was a de-facto state that existed between 1916 and 1919 that covered the entire island of Ireland. What exists today is Ireland (someones called the Republic of Ireland though not constitutionally although it is a republic) it came into being in 1949.

I agree. Its Ireland

I don't like it when i hear sinn fein refering to the free state either or british media refering to the irish republic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Well if the format is anything like Frontline then we can expect FF bias all the way. Shall we just give it to Martin now as the winner, just like the late late on Friday....there was no need for the others to perform as it was going to be Jedward from the start.......oh cynical me and my loss in faith with RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I say Adams is probably the most skilled and charismatic out of the lot, home he comes across well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Will this be broadcast around the world on RTE News Now/RTE Player?

I assume everyone watching all over world not sure if they would broadcast it though.

If Sinn Féin answer the question that people are worried about pertaining the Pension fund and it meets and adds up with their policy.Will people change their views and vote SF?
    It will be good if they actually can answer this question,if they are allowed to.

If Sinn Féin answer the question that people are worried about pertaining the Pension fund and it meets and adds up with their policy.

Eh, what?

Seems to be a common question in this thread...

Eh, what?

Seems to be a common question in this thread...

If they can answer the question that people are using to say their policy is not going to work,then will people change their minds.

If they can answer the question that people are using to say their policy is not going to work,then will people change their minds.

How to make 2+2=5?

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I say Adams is probably the most skilled and charismatic out of the lot, home he comes across well.

He will come across well,if it is not indeed a debate where rte takes sides and keeps stum and gives fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Looking forward to seeing Adams, he'd be an asset to the Dáil. Would be interesting to see how he comes across.
    Hope Gilmore shows more passion. He came across as restrained on TV3 which doesn't suit his usual speaking style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

right we all know that a lot of you guys think that gerry's policies and knowledge is abysmal yes....

but FF have proven to be abysmal at making economic policies so why doesn't anyone laugh when they make their speeches:confused:

and what's so different about FG's proposals to FF's that makes FG's so much better??

the FF strategy has been proven to be completely wrong hasn't it - give me one example of where SF's policies have put the country where it is today

we're screwed either ways - why not just try to go for the radical actions and see how that goes and go out with a bang rather than a limp weak attempt to please the bondholders who made silly decisions with their money when they invested in ireland....

if I invested in this and decided to put it in rural leitrim when it failed should I get my money back - nope because i was a gob****e who though it was a good idea day 1...

the bondholders seeing as they should be economic experts should have been able to see the crash coming seeing as my father who is farmer kept preaching for years that there was going to be a crash....

it's disgraceful in itself that we should be expected to bail them out because they're big players at the expense of the ordinary person in ireland now today...

Advertisement