Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Introduce yourselves

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Best of luck with the lessons, theres no way to avoid the inevitable aching muscles at the start but its well worth it! You might even be checking back in tonight to tell us you have found your rythm, honestly, its a bit of a eureka moment when it happens! Happy Riding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Cheers Bendihorse - Will let you know on Monday if Eureka strikes...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,246 ✭✭✭✭fits

Whyner wrote: »
    I'm a Whyner and have been wrecking heads today asking questions about rising trot and diagonals....complete newbie........apparently I'll be back in a few weeks time saying how easy it all was :eek:

Not at all. I enjoy giving advice to beginners.
    Right now my under carriage isn't looking forward to tonights lesson.

male? tight underpants are the thing to have seemingly... ;)

Yes. I only wear jeans and hiking boots at the mo. I've heard about these jods but they don't provide protection for when I mistime my sit, do they?

Will invest in some gear soon enough. Will it get rid of the pinch??

Yes. I only wear jeans and hiking boots at the mo. I've heard about these jods but they don't provide protection for when I mistime my sit, do they?

I've even heard some say cycling shorts would be a good idea under the jeans, or under tracksuit bottoms.

It has to be said though, men learn the basics quicker because there is a 'vested interest' :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Which pinch are you referring to, The one from the stirrup leathers on your inside calf and thigh or the one up farther? :o

I think its a case of gathering it all out in front of you but im not an authority! Togster might be the best man to tell you how best to arrange your tackle on a horse!! :D

Do report back, will be looking forward to hearing how you got on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 RozzBurrows

you can get jods with padded seats and apparently they make a huge differense, although, ive also heard once you get used to riding in them you cant ride in anything else.

that pinch.... its coz your wearing jeans and not correct foot gear. good pair of jods, a cumfy saddle pad that fits ontop of the saddle and some good chaps and boots, youll be sorted

(and poor!)

My name is Rozz, Im a 4th year in the uiversity of Limerick studying equine science!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Bendihorse wrote: »
    I think its a case of gathering it all out in front of you but im not an authority! Togster might be the best man to tell you how best to arrange your tackle on a horse!! :D

No advice at all really. I have to say though, people talk about how sore it is to get a kick in the nuts but baing launched from a horse and then landing square on the pommel on the saddle is real pain!! So Whyner no advice rally other than, get used to it!;)

I'm going to get jods, chaps, boots and a helmet........just the lower pinch Bendihorse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tuper

Whyner - Yes, jods/chaps should get rid of the lower pinch. I have scars on my legs from riding in jeans!

• Advertisement

....and since this claims to be the introduce yourself thread, I figure I'd do it! :D

I joined this board to try and find some info, only to realize after my post about it was deleted that I was probably going against some copywright issues. So Mods, sorry about that! I didn't think about it until the post was gone!!! :o

Anyway, now that I'm here, I guess I should say a little about me!

I have 2 horses, 3 ponies, and a baby on the way! So I stay pretty busy. My main horse is an eight year old American Mustang, Tempo. He's my heart in the equine form! He was my first horse and I love him to death. I also have a sixteen or so year old quarter horse named Kendall. Then there is my Nellie, an ex-race TB. She is bred and is due to foal at the end of May. She is bred to a quarter horse stallion. Then there is April, my 6 year old Haflinger/Cob cross. She is a project pony that I am training to sell, but I am going to have a hard time getting rid of her, I love her a lot! Lastly, I have a 4 year old mini named Midget. He's a bit of a turd, but I love him anyway.

Here are some pics....hope this works!
    My Tempo:
    100_2091.jpg
    SCAN0005.jpg
    (He looks great in this, but I have bad form, don't look at me! ;))
    IMGP1934.jpg

Kendall:
    horsesandcats016.jpg

A very pregnant Nellie:
    catandhorse012.jpg
    Before she was bred:
    NellieTrotApril06.jpg
    This is the stud she's bred to, and I can post his pic because he's owned by a very good friend of mine:
    000b0141.jpg

April - This is an old picture, she's gained some more muscle and weight since this:
    ponies016.jpg

Midget:
    Kendallsleg023.jpg

Sorry, I'm a bit of a picture-aholic! :o

Nice to "meet" you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 RozzBurrows

These dont look like they were taken in ireland?

Hi Rozz! They weren't! :D I live in the states. I guess I should have pointed that out! :o

Like I said before, I joined this board to try and get some info on a horse related TV show that aired over in Ireland. But you guys seem like a nice bunch, so I figured I'd hang out a bit.....if you don't mind! :) Besides, I have ALWAYS wanted to come visit Ireland. I took a trip to Europe when I was a teen and vowed to come back. I enjoyed it incredibly, and bet I would have more fun now as an adult!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 boggle69

Hello there,

First time on a forum, but saw this and thought might be nice place to meet other horsey people. I'm 29, living in Dublin and have a bay, 16.2 gelding called Clyde in Swords. c4.jpg

Owned him 12 years and he's 20 now! Brought him over with me from the UK along with my chestnut mare, Holly, who I sadly lost to colic two years ago.

holly.jpg

Used to compete showjumping (but just at local level) now just a happy hacker with a BA Hons in Equine Studies. Been doing Natural Horsemanship with Clyde who loves it and did our first dressage test last year.

DSC00125.jpg
    Pic taken today!!

Sorry all pics are from mobile phone so not sure how big they'll be...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

This is Millie
    Millie001.jpg
    PoniesHorses0282.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LauraAppleby banned.

xxKarenxx please use the report post function... much more useful than that awful smiley.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 sunnyholly

571021501a5292778583l.jpg3352899751a7478090822ml.jpgHi!!! there my ponies harry on the left he's 138 nd i do showing on him. that pic was taken last year . . . its ruby on the right he's my new 5 yr old conemara..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Hi Sunny!! Welcome and what a smashing pony :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Hey, New on here too, thought I would come say hello!
    here is a pic of my horse Caramel, he is such a poser!!!!

k850i2ndjuly2008004ui2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Hi all, I'm new here as well :) I don't have my own horse...yet. But I have lessons once or twice a week and am saving as much money as possible for my own horse :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Meganee

hi everyone,

i'm brand new to boards.ie. just hoping to catch up with some fellow horsey people...

a little about me. i am a dressage rider who has (unfortunately) been on a small hiatus from the horsey world while i've been travelling the world and getting a postgraduate degree. back in the u.s. (i'm from new mexico), i have a lovely and feisty oldenburg/arabian filly that will eventually be under saddle (she is kind of a late bloomer). i'm hoping to bring her over, as soon as i figure out a way to stay in ireland permanently.

i grew up on horses and started as a working student for an FEI dressage rider when i was 11 - competed yr's and all that. i have worked as everything from a trainer at a private breeding facility to an assistant to a show groom to an overall muck hand. :) have also trained and cliniced with some big dressage names.

i would love to do some freelance training here or possibly find a place to ride. i know the dressage world isn't huge in ireland, but if anyone has any suggestions, i'll take 'em!

nice to meet you all!
    megan

hi Megan,
    I went to college in New Mexico....NMSU. Funny that we should "meet" on an Irish bulletin board! I am still living in the states, but I WILL visit Ireland one day! :D

hey tuper!

how funny - i graduated from unm (evil!). did you study equine science or something like that at nmsu? where are you living now? and what brought you to an irish horsey board?

:)

Meganee wrote: »
    hi everyone,

i'm brand new to boards.ie. just hoping to catch up with some fellow horsey people...

a little about me. i am a dressage rider who has (unfortunately) been on a small hiatus from the horsey world while i've been travelling the world and getting a postgraduate degree. back in the u.s. (i'm from new mexico), i have a lovely and feisty oldenburg/arabian filly that will eventually be under saddle (she is kind of a late bloomer). i'm hoping to bring her over, as soon as i figure out a way to stay in ireland permanently.

i grew up on horses and started as a working student for an FEI dressage rider when i was 11 - competed yr's and all that. i have worked as everything from a trainer at a private breeding facility to an assistant to a show groom to an overall muck hand. :) have also trained and cliniced with some big dressage names.

i would love to do some freelance training here or possibly find a place to ride. i know the dressage world isn't huge in ireland, but if anyone has any suggestions, i'll take 'em!

nice to meet you all!

megan

Hi Megan,
    Welcome along to this lil forum!

Maybe you can come put some manners on my horse!! lol

:P

thanks kamili!

is that your horse caramel in the photo above? he looks like s/he's got quite a personality on him, alright! trickster, i say!

what is his age/breed? do you keep him at home or a stable?

you're all so friendly! thanks for the welcome! :)

Meganee wrote: »
    thanks kamili!

is that your horse caramel in the photo above? he looks like s/he's got quite a personality on him, alright! trickster, i say!

what is his age/breed? do you keep him at home or a stable?

you're all so friendly! thanks for the welcome! :)

Thats him alright, he is a total pet, very quiet and has such a relaxed outlook on life but is very fun loving at the same time. Nothing ever really seems to get to him and he takes it all in his stride. He is quite obedient and fun to ride but I'm hoping to progress him a little bit!

He's coming up on ten, and is an ISH. He's the best horse I could ask for, I have him at a yard in wicklow and he's very happpy there! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭SanNJay

Hi All

I'm Sandra, 21, and I started horse riding three years ago when i met my boyfriend Jason, 22, hence the name SanNJay.

I've 6 horses - 1 sportshorse, 1 Irish Draught, and 4 Connemara's and Jason has 5 - 3 TB and 2 Sportshorses

Jay does all the huntertrials all around the country and i'm his no 1 cheerleader! haven't the confidence yet to do many but I rode in Annaharvey last year. Pics to follow if i get some good ones!

Hope to get lots of tips off ye! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭tisme

Hi there, have already been looking for help and didn't introduce myself. After MANY years without a horse or horse riding I finally gave into it and recently bought myself an adorable 6 yr old connemara gelding. He is a darling. So I may be here a bit looking for advise/tips etc....Its all new to me again, but its great :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

Its a little rude of me not to have posted here. Like alot of you I've ridden all my life and it is the only profession I have ever known though Motherhood took over and now I ride for fun. I must excuse the ridiculous name needadvice when I first posted on boards it was because I was asking advice and needed a name to register. Makes me sound very needy or shockingly obnoxious so aplogies for daft name.

Advertisement