Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

Kilboor wrote: »
    GME
    thats looking at the graph its might be a nice one to analyse

They are the most heavily shorted stock out there, 80% or 90% of outstanding shares are short so unless you know what you’re doing and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

RIGOLO wrote: »
    If you think those are bat**** crazy then Chineese coffee is Pangolin**** crazy, LK is up 50+% pre-market.
    I hope some of you took my investment advice, could be a double bagger from when I tipped them yesterday.
    Get in and get out quick as the lady of the night said to the bishop...
    ...By the way no one should ever take investment advice from strangers on public discussion boards..

So which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Lol. The US jobs report had a note at the bottom stating error 😂

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

XMG wrote: »
    So which is it?

why both of course.

my dear fellow I sincerely hope you dont rush out and drop 20k on some ticker symbol some randomer on this site has mentioned.

I sincerely hope you do your own DD and look at the balance sheet, earnings report, competitors, whats in the shop windows, the weather, what kim kardashian just tweeted, geo-political situation, what Trump just tweeted... etc etc. AT least thats what I would do .

Like all things in life that materially affect your way of living you should always take as much input from as many sources as you can before making your ultimate decision.

This is not a 'theres a prize for everyone' competition, other than on good faith and track record you have no idea what side of a trade I am really on. Am I a deramper or a pumper.
    Having said that , I will claim to be 100% of good faith in what I post. I wish everyone the best of luck in their trades for we all have mouths in which to place silver spoons.

Speaking of the weather , the first storm, Hurricane Christobal, of the season is tracking across the Gulf , are your oil picks exposed with platforms in that basin, if it makes landfall in Louisiana theres money to be made if you play your cards right. Some rigs are already shutdown and evacuated, this should impact positively on inventory stockpile. long APA and MRO

I have taken a punt on PTI currently trading at $1.51.
    Its a cystic fibrosis play, heres hoping they can make some improvements in the lives of peopel who suffer from that disease.
    Holding long until 2021 as their CF trials progress.
    The are also making a last ditch effort to catch some of the OWS windfall so who knows they may pop earlier.
    If I lose the money, so be it, one could make the case for it being a charitable contribution to a worthy cause.

• Advertisement

Anyone else feeling a pang of guilt at making so much money out of so much suffering.

30 years of investing and the gains Im making will see me and my family into a very comfortable retirement.
    The Covid dip was a once in a lifetime oppurtunity , probably they best ever as it has all been condensed into a short period , thus far.

Money doesnt drive me, its just a neccessary of life, like wearing shoes , you need to put them on, money you need some in your wallet.

So pay it forward fellow investors if you have done well. Not everyone is doing so in this tough period.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Some week.

Decided to cash in 50% of my Carnival shares on Friday and buy Coke.

Annoyed that I held onto my Slack shares which I'd seriously considered selling midweek.

Hindsight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Some week.

Decided to cash in 50% of my Carnival shares on Friday and buy Coke.

Annoyed that I held onto my Slack shares which I'd seriously considered selling midweek.

Hindsight!

Nice idea buying coke, good way to relax for the weekend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Anyone else feeling a pang of guilt at making so much money out of so much suffering.

30 years of investing and the gains Im making will see me and my family into a very comfortable retirement.
    The Covid dip was a once in a lifetime oppurtunity , probably they best ever as it has all been condensed into a short period , thus far.

Money doesnt drive me, its just a neccessary of life, like wearing shoes , you need to put them on, money you need some in your wallet.

So pay it forward fellow investors if you have done well. Not everyone is doing so in this tough period.
    I'll pay it forward when i can put a roof over my head. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Reading in the Washington Post that there may have been an error in the unemployment figures that drove the surge yesterday, which had the effect of understating the rate by about 3%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Ya but it is a known error going back to March and they were transparent in calling it out. So I don't think they have discovered anything new. The same issue was in prior months numbers. So I think the theme is unchanged that the job numbers were lot better than expected. But it is clear that they are struggling to properly identify the correct number.

I think markets gone way too hot. Like Dax 30 is up about 25% in a few weeks. Energy stocks about all I like the look of. But that is just long term play and they will have lots of ups and downs. Best of luck calling bottom.

Like yes things might reopen but I think demand will be much slower coming back. People spend less when there is uncertainty. The governments can only spend so much but at some time the supports will go. Only then will we see the real impact.

I am not necessarily saying we revisit March lows but think last couple weeks have been crazy.

One sector worth a punt is potentially insurance. Legal reality is they should not be on hook for pandemic but governments might see all those billions of capital as too easy to go after. On face of it I think they have taken way too big a hit. Like Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

Still some value in superdry (sdry) down 65% ytd.
    Currently at 177GBX looking to get to 225GBX before selling :)

any other nerds listening to the OPEC+ meeting
    Iraq has announced agreement to keeping the cuts in production as is .

Iraq renews its full commitment to OPEC+ decisions
    Vienna, Austria, 6 June 2020--Iraq has renewed its full commitment to the oil production adjustments decisions reached in April 2020 by OPEC Members Countries and non-OPEC oil producing countries participating in the Declaration of Cooperation, noting the importance of team spirit and joint efforts to achieve stability and balance in the global oil market.

https://www.opec.org/opec_web/en/5962.htm

Good for Brent exposure, but WTI will also benefit.

EDIT : Iraq the buggrs had been the only ones who hadnt implemented the agreeed upon cuts from last month , but announced the will be good boys going forward, either way a positive for oil to gap up 45 .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I’ve bought “heavily” on Sea Limited. Check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭in2dark

Scottie99 wrote: »

All time high. Maybe way too late to buy now. But well done to you :-)

in2dark wrote: »
    All time high. Maybe way too late to buy now. But well done to you :-)

If you're in for the long term, I think it'll be a bargain. I plan to add more at the end of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 9,363 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Scottie99 wrote: »
    MotleyFool and MyWallSt podcasts both featured it a while back. I've bought 3 batches, at $51, $62 and $81. Has great financial indicators and lots of heavy supporters, only think I've concerns about is given what it does (gaming, online sales etc in South East Asia), I haven absolutely no eperience of what it does, and know absolutely nobody show uses it. My experience of it is almost completly just the performance of the share price.

Which I'd imagine is exactly how a lot of Lucking Shareholders were 2 months back

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

any other nerds listening to the OPEC+ meeting
    Iraq has announced agreement to keeping the cuts in production as is .

Iraq renews its full commitment to OPEC+ decisions

https://www.opec.org/opec_web/en/5962.htm

Good for Brent exposure, but WTI will also benefit.

EDIT : Iraq the buggrs had been the only ones who hadnt implemented the agreeed upon cuts from last month , but announced the will be good boys going forward, either way a positive for oil to gap up 45 .

OIL is my best pandemic investment so far. As much as I didn't (and still don't) believe in the magical recovery in stocks, I'm fully convinced the OIL will pick up rapidly when restrictions start to be lifted. There are some predictions that the same way that OIL prices went negative for a while, the opposite may happen in July, when there's loads of demand already while the supply has been massively surpressed.

I'm long on OIL and wait for the market squeeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

voluntary wrote: »
    OIL is my best pandemic investment so far. As much as I didn't (and still don't) believe in the magical recovery in stocks, I'm fully convinced the OIL will pick up rapidly when restrictions start to be lifted. There are some predictions that the same way that OIL prices went negative for a while, the opposite may happen in July, when there's loads of demand already while the supply has been massively surpressed.

Agree, picking up some more next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Opened a Degiro account mid March, I could see there were opportunities and luckily got in before the stampede. Was a subscriber to my previous company's ESPP and always made a great return but that was about the amount of my exposure to shares. As a prize bond holder, I'm used to not seeing returns lol but this was a no brainer (thank you Donald)

Overall +36%, top 3 to date - Boeing +23%, VMware +39% & Amphenol +36%. Of the 9 companies only 2 are negative and that comes to -$100, so wont lose sleep. Going to hang on to Boeing & VMware for a while.

Kicking myself that I didn't buy Comerica and Halliburton a few weeks ago for a quick turnaround but such is life.

Overall very happy, committed what I could afford to lose and a good experience to date. I know a lot on the prize bond thread swear by them but I have "made" as much in 1 day (CGT allowance) as I did in 1 year with prize bonds (2015-16 - when the percentage dedicated to prizes was far higher then it is now and my "investment" was multiples of the amount I have in shares).

I am in no way endorsing anyone buying shares in the companies listed above, I am an amateur and it's more being in the right place at the right time then anything else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

voluntary wrote: »

Are you buying companies that produce oil or barrels

OPEC+ are meeting Saturday. This being the broader major oil producers including Russia.
    They are bringing this meeting FORWARD from its original date, also word is this is to allow them make an EARLY decision on maintaining the cuts the announced mid Covid.
    OPEC+ have nothing to gain in their economies to start fighting just yet on oil price , I expect them to announce continued cuts to end of July.
    There isplenty more upside for Oil stocks.
    Increased my position in APA ($15:60) which has jumped 20% today.
    You can take your pick, OXY, DVN, FANG MPC
    If you believe the economy is coming back, or believe the perception that the economy is coming back then oil is a great short term play to carry over into Monday.

nailed it..
    will top slice and continue to play with house money
    Hurricane season has begun

omerin wrote: »
    Opened a Degiro account mid March, I could see there were opportunities and luckily got in before the stampede. Was a subscriber to my previous company's ESPP and always made a great return but that was about the amount of my exposure to shares. As a prize bond holder, I'm used to not seeing returns lol but this was a no brainer (thank you Donald)

Overall +36%, top 3 to date - Boeing +23%, VMware +39% & Amphenol +36%. Of the 9 companies only 2 are negative and that comes to -$100, so wont lose sleep. Going to hang on to Boeing & VMware for a while.

Kicking myself that I didn't buy Comerica and Halliburton a few weeks ago for a quick turnaround but such is life.

Overall very happy, committed what I could afford to lose and a good experience to date. I know a lot on the prize bond thread swear by them but I have "made" as much in 1 day (CGT allowance) as I did in 1 year with prize bonds (2015-16 - when the percentage dedicated to prizes was far higher then it is now and my "investment" was multiples of the amount I have in shares).

I am in no way endorsing anyone buying shares in the companies listed above, I am an amateur and it's more being in the right place at the right time then anything else

BOEING ($205)
    Al Baker (not the North of England comedian, but Sheik h'Al Back-ur Chairman of Qatar) had a good interview overnight on daybreak Middle-East.
    Qatar Airways have publicly stated they dont want to take delivery of any new planes until 2022,. Ive no doubt other airlines are in the same position. Im not sure Id want to be invested in a company thats taking their customers to court to buy their product. And the phone is probably not ringing for orders. Plus Elon has stole a march on the CST100 Starliner. It was a good call to pick them near bottom but I expect another prolonged dip, so I wouldnt play BA long unless your 2 years out. My contacts in the buisness tell me they have rivet corrosion issues with the Max also . Maybe Im just bashing them cos Im bitter from my years working there, course mgmt knew how to build decent planes back then. Do your own DD.

VMWARE was a great call... strong hold on that.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    MotleyFool and MyWallSt podcasts both featured it a while back. I've bought 3 batches, at $51, $62 and $81. Has great financial indicators and lots of heavy supporters, only think I've concerns about is given what it does (gaming, online sales etc in South East Asia), I haven absolutely no eperience of what it does, and know absolutely nobody show uses it. My experience of it is almost completly just the performance of the share price.

Which I'd imagine is exactly how a lot of Lucking Shareholders were 2 months back

Much of the large hedge funds are buying into it. I had opportunities to buy at $43 but was focusing on Datadog, Fastly and Invitae.I’m averaged in around $64\6

Early May was ranking day for Russell 3000 and Micro-Cap, with reconstruction and communication coming late June . Preliminary additions have been announced, google is your friend
    Looks like a few of my plays APT,AIM,CODX during lockdown will be added , Less than 5% of my portfolio pure punts wit hsome gains top sliced, but they will benefit from some ETFs and index funds action pickup in the secomd half of 2020.
    Also lets hope all the robinhood millenials are back on their smartphones this week feathering my nest.
    GLTA

• Registered Users Posts: 9,363 ✭✭✭Shedite27

So given the big rally Friday off the jobs news....
    And subsequently finding out that news was incorrect....
    We expecting a big red day tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭peterofthebr

... im still unconvinced about those job numbers.. Im heading back to sit on the fense...but as the FED is buying into the system NASDAQ/DOW might get to their all time highs-soon. getting myself ready for the next crash dip!! ..to get

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shaharziv/2020/05/10/dont-be-fooled-by-official-unemployment-rate-of-147-the-real-figure-is-even-scarier/#64a2c3d555dd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I'm expecting a red Monday. Stupid rally with stocks going +20% in a few hours.

If it isn't red, god help us all. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

fridays buys are believed to be mainly retail investor's (maybe FOMO)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

Non-event, error with figures has been known since the March numbers.

Advertisement