Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin - Significant reduction in rents coming?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I say that and then see this advertised in D12.

A bedroom in a shared house which is owner-occupied looking for females only at the bargain price of 1100 a month.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/walkinstown/3b-moeran-road-walkinstown-dublin-1167334/

Has the pandemic affected peoples sanity this much?

Wow, that is insanity. 1100 for a bedroom in D12? Slice 40% off that and it would just about be realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Wow, that is insanity. 1100 for a bedroom in D12? Slice 40% off that and it would just about be realistic.

It is obviously an ex-Airbnber that isn't grounded in the new reality just yet.

I say that and then see this advertised in D12.

A bedroom in a shared house which is owner-occupied looking for females only at the bargain price of 1100 a month.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/walkinstown/3b-moeran-road-walkinstown-dublin-1167334/

Has the pandemic affected peoples sanity this much?

Its been online for over 24 hours and has only 98 views and most of that is probably Boardsies gawping.

To the advertiser, think again my dim witted friend.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's definitely not cheap but in fairness that room looks larger than some apartments I've seen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

^^ Yeah that's a sweet looking room.

For 1100 of course it's steep but, looking through daft, jebus - were building standards just that poor in the past?

There are far more dumps than not in the room rental section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭polaco

This another good example house in Crumlin in 1hr went from 1750 to 1950
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-rent/crumlin/290-kildare-road-crumlin-dublin-2036657/
    I think landlords still very confident they can get big money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

polaco wrote: »
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-rent/crumlin/290-kildare-road-crumlin-dublin-2036657/

To be fair it has 3 bedrooms and is very close to the city centre. There's next to nothing on Daft close to the city centre with three beds and being offered for rent of less than €2k.

If the going rate for a room in a shared house was 600/700 we would have a much better rental market!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

Fairly normal to see prices changing in daft, I reckon agents do that to put the listing back on the top of the list as adverts are ordered by date of creation or last update.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

GocRh wrote: »
    Fairly normal to see prices changing in daft, I reckon agents do that to put the listing back on the top of the list as adverts are ordered by date of creation or last update.

Could they be increasing the price based on the number of enquiries received, thinking there is greater demand?

GocRh wrote: »

Could they be increasing the price based on the number of enquiries received, thinking there is greater demand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Jeezus, youd think people would learn how to take decent photos before listing a place at that price.:confused:

Hubertj wrote: »

It could be I dont know but he changed price within few minutes.
    TBH is Crumlin such good place to live I dont know I am not familiar with that area

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ozark707

It could be I dont know but he changed price within few minutes.
    TBH is Crumlin such good place to live I dont know I am not familiar with that area

TBH if the price was changed on the same day I would ignore, that is a regular enough occurrence.

I think demand is still very strong I am getting some emails like "Please be advised that there are a large number of enquiries for this property. We will be in touch if we need more information, or if a viewing becomes available". or I am not getting respond at all.
    Even all AirBnb did help much.

I think demand is still very strong I am getting some emails like "Please be advised that there are a large number of enquiries for this property. We will be in touch if we need more information, or if a viewing becomes available". or I am not getting respond at all.
    Even all AirBnb did help much.

Are these at prices pre-Covid or lower than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

^^ Yeah that's a sweet looking room.

For 1100 of course it's steep but, looking through daft, jebus - were building standards just that poor in the past?

There are far more dumps than not in the room rental section.

What is your issue with the building standards in the pics?

Ozark707 wrote: »
    Are these at prices pre-Covid or lower than that?

Some prices are bit lower. Number of places steady increasing this good sign I hope.

Some prices are bit lower. Number of places steady increasing this good sign I hope.

Supply has gone through the roof since Covid so it is natural that prices have also come back considerably enough as well. The question is whether this was a temporary increase in supply or not.

Supply has gone through the roof since Covid so it is natural that prices have also come back considerably enough as well. The question is whether this was a temporary increase in supply or not.

I wonder if next week when we'll get to "new normal" is going to change anything with supply and demand?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thats just it though- supply has not 'gone through the roof'.
    If you look at the various websites (DAFT etc) there are fewer than a couple of hundred additional units available.
    In the context of the over-all market- that is peanuts.

Its going to take a considerable amount of time for things to 'normalise'- the further opening of the economy today is not a 'new normal' by any means.

Until such time as supply side issues are resolved- and they aren't- prices aren't going to move anywhere fast.

• Advertisement

If you look at the various websites (DAFT etc) there are fewer than a couple of hundred additional units available.

Its going to take a considerable amount of time for things to 'normalise'- the further opening of the economy today is not a 'new normal' by any means.

Until such time as supply side issues are resolved- and they aren't- prices aren't going to move anywhere fast.

It also looks like 3rd level students will have some level of on campus attendance in the next semester so many may decide to look for accommodation in dublin and other cities.

I have been checking Daft almost 3 times a day I started 2 weeks ago so I have few searches saved for example houses/apt 2 bed min up to 2000e two weeks ago 437 today 672 and this number slowly increasing. There other thing big LL like Vesta, Ires or Occu they have only one ad for 1bed, 2bed and 3bed but they have number of them available.I think big jump in supply is going to happen once Cherrywood apartments are finished (3000 units) they meant to be ready in Autumn that obviously changed. I agreed with you still low number but defintely better the 3 moths ago.

I have been checking Daft almost 3 times a day I started 2 weeks ago so I have few searches saved for example houses/apt 2 bed min up to 2000e two weeks ago 437 today 672 and this number slowly increasing. There other thing big LL like Vesta, Ires or Occu they have only one ad for 1bed, 2bed and 3bed but they have number of them available.I think big jump in supply is going to happen once Cherrywood apartments are finished (3000 units) they meant to be ready in Autumn that obviously changed. I agreed with you still low number but defintely better the 3 moths ago.

What I would say in addition to what you have said is that probably 3 months ago the asking price was probably what you paid. Now I have heard of several anecdotes of reductions of ~15% on the asking price. So there is not necessarily a need now to wait for a another couple of months to see if prices continue to go down, if there is somewhere you like and is outside your range see if they will negotiate.

What I would say in addition to what you have said is that probably 3 months ago the asking price was probably what you paid. Now I have heard of several anecdotes of reductions of ~15% on the asking price. So there is not necessarily a need now to wait for a another couple of months to see if prices continue to go down, if there is somewhere you like and is outside your range see if they will negotiate.

Yes I heard the same from agent I have offered 1800 for 2000e cottage but somebody gave 1900.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Blut2

To be fair now:

lH7SzQh.jpg

The figures show supply has most definitely gone through the roof. Thats an unheard of increase in supply in the context of the last decade in Ireland.

I think there's a difference between supply increasing and several months of supply stacking up as a result of suppressed demand.

Graham wrote: »
    I think there's a difference between supply increasing and several months of supply stacking up as a result of suppressed demand.

I would tend to agree with you but the only thing I would say is that even during lockdown people were taking places (I am basing this from what I personally observed when a keenly priced place came along it was let within a couple of weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Blut2

That could definitely be a factor, we should know a bit more in a month or twos time now that Ireland is opening back up. But its still pretty disingenuous to claim supply isn't through the roof when we're now sitting at almost 2,000 apartments available (and increasing fast), compared to an average of around 750 over the last 5 years. A circa 300% increase is "through the roof" by any definition and certainly not "peanuts".

Almost like 3 months worth of supply stacked up together?

No doubt there's almost 3 times the amount of property listed. I genuinely don't think supply has increased much other than a few AirBnBs running for cover.

The immediate question is, has demand been stacking up too?

• Advertisement

Almost like 3 months worth of supply stacked up together?

No doubt there's almost 3 times the amount of property listed. I genuinely don't think supply has increased much other than a few AirBnBs running for cover.

The immediate question is, has demand been stacking up too?

I have noticed a very big increase in places coming on for less than say 1600 (so they were not previously Airbnb as some of them seem pretty run down). That would indicate that demand is slipping lower down the market as well. Now that restrictions around viewings are essentially lifted I would imagine someone who is currently paying a lot (>2400 for example) will possibly start looking around. I can see 2k being the new 2.4k at this rate.

Advertisement