Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Making Elderflower Presse/Cordial

• 02-06-2020 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

I have lots of elderflower growing in my garden so this summer I’d like to have a go at making a cordial or presse.

I’ve had a look online for recipes but some of them contain a serious amount of sugar. I was hoping to make a drink that was healthier than the shop bought drinks.

I would appreciate any advice/recipes you might have.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

All/most the cordials would need a lot of sugar. Either that, or a lot of alcohol. They're acting as preservatives. Without those the cordial would ferment or rot or go mouldy. The alternative would be to freeze the liquid (with as little sugar as you want, even none at all) in ice-cubes and take out as much as you need each time, but that would take up a serious amount of room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I was thinking of doing the same as we have some in our garden also. Many of the recipes use citric acid, any idea where to get this?
    I also see that several recipes suggest picking the flower heads early in the day as leaving it until later can give the cordial a slightly unpleasant taste.
    The sugar is what helps it to last longer, you have to remember that you will be diluting it down with something else so the overall sugar content wont be as high.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Seamai wrote: »
    I was thinking of doing the same as we have some in our garden also. Many of the recipes use citric acid, any idea where to get this?
    I also see that several recipes suggest picking the flower heads early in the day as leaving it until later can give the cordial a slightly unpleasant taste.

Any decent chemist would have citric acid. Probably health food shops, too, but I never looked too hard. You can use lemon juice instead, too, it's just that it wouldn't be as concentrated.

A friend of mine has a great recipe, I'll ask her.

Oh, very important: check the flowers very carefully for bugs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Seamai wrote: »
    The sugar is what helps it to last longer, you have to remember that you will be diluting it down with something else so the overall sugar content wont be as high.

You can get citric acid in ethnic shops, East End brand

Advertisement