Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disciplinary process.

• 02-06-2020 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi. Apologizes if I picked wrong topic, but this is as close as I could find.

In work I was stopped and accused of using my phone. I had a wireless ear bud that I forgot to take out when was rushing to start my duties. I admit that regardless to the fact that I wasn't listening to anything I shouldn't have had that thing in my ear.
    However, supervisor has lectured me in front of clients and staff. This could have been avoided if only she would give me a signal or a sign. But no, she had to make a scene and raised her voice at me when I was trying to explain.
    Then she called me into a room and started to give out and pressure me and threaten with dismissal and stuff. And all that with no witness in the room.
    How legit her actions were and should I report the incident to HR? Thanks in advance
    How

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

What do you mean by lectured? Is it possible they used a raised voice as they thought you couldn’t hear as you had headphones in?

If wearing headphones in work is not permitted, then your manager is within their rights to discipline you.

It’s possible you are embarrassed by the mistake you made and looking to make excuses. Going to HR could backfire and you may find the headphones-wearing going on your record.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭b.e.s.s.

Batgurl wrote: »
    What do you mean by lectured? Is it possible they used a raised voice as they thought you couldn’t hear as you had headphones in?

If wearing headphones in work is not permitted, then your manager is within their rights to discipline you.

It’s possible you are embarrassed by the mistake you made and looking to make excuses. Going to HR could backfire and you may find the headphones-wearing going on your record.

I admit that warning those ear buds wasn't the right thing, and I don't mind having this on my record, as long as it is done with competence and in a professional manner. I'm only there two months and still learning after all.
    My question is regarding her approach, was it a professional one? Including telling me that my age may be the cause of all problems. And no, there was no need to shout as we were 3 meters away from each other. She just decided to make a scene. And I'm not the first person experiencing this kind of treatment from that supervisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think going to HR would be a massive overreaction and most likely have your cards marked as a trouble maker.

Yea she seems to have gone off on a run but the context was correct and you were found flaunting the rules.

Best action now is head down and give no reason to draw attention to yourself.

You need to differentiate between shouting or raising your voice in an industrial setting to make sure your heard. Shouting isn’t right, but I’d only make a deal of that when you have witnesses. And I wouldn’t complain, I’d ask there and then to talk calmly rather than shouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Did the others report and if so how did that play out for them?

_Brian wrote: »
    I think going to HR would be a massive overreaction and most likely have your cards marked as a trouble maker.

Yea she seems to have gone off on a run but the context was correct and you were found flaunting the rules.

Best action now is head down and give no reason to draw attention to yourself.

You need to differentiate between shouting or raising your voice in an industrial setting to make sure your heard. Shouting isn’t right, but I’d only make a deal of that when you have witnesses. And I wouldn’t complain, I’d ask there and then to talk calmly rather than shouting.

Thank you. No I am not planning on going to HR, but rather trying to understand if I can defend myself on that level if I was called for a meeting and wanted to know whether her actions were adequate.

I get your point. But we work in a small hospital where there is no noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭thomas 123

What kind of business do you work in?

Were you clocked in?

I feel it would be worth highlighting to HR of you were threatened with dismissal over something so minor.

Nobody should have to worry about their job over a personal non-consequential oversight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭thomas 123

What kind of business do you work in?

Were you clocked in?

I feel it would be worth highlighting to HR of you were threatened with dismissal over something so minor.

Nobody should have to worry about their job over a personal non-consequential oversight.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Lily_Aldrin7

My opinion is different here. While you should’ve taken the earbuds off, I think your supervisor should still have treated you with dignity and respect. There was no need for public humiliation. You weren’t given the chance to explain and the way she approached you wasn’t right, IMO

Did the others report and if so how did that play out for them?

Latest person was going to take superviser to court, but management has settled it somehow and now there is no visible issue there between them. It seems that the supervisor just found another toy and if I will endure I'll break down.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

b.e.s.s. wrote: »
    Hi. Apologizes if I picked wrong topic, but this is as close as I could find.

In work I was stopped and accused of using my phone. I had a wireless ear bud that I forgot to take out when was rushing to start my duties. I admit that regardless to the fact that I wasn't listening to anything I shouldn't have had that thing in my ear.
    However, supervisor has lectured me in front of clients and staff. This could have been avoided if only she would give me a signal or a sign. But no, she had to make a scene and raised her voice at me when I was trying to explain.
    Then she called me into a room and started to give out and pressure me and threaten with dismissal and stuff. And all that with no witness in the room.
    How legit her actions were and should I report the incident to HR? Thanks in advance
    How
    Her actions were over the top and unprofessional. You made a mistake and instead of dealing with it professionally she let the company down by her poor behaviour, especially in frount of clients.
    Try and write down everything she said, and that she'd raised her voice and who was there - everything.

I wouldn't go to HR, yet, because you've only been there a short while, but keep a record of everything she says/ complains about so.if she is causing a problem further down the line you will have a record of how she treats you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

If there are any further outbursts Infront 9f clients or colleagues speak with management if that doesn't help write to HR if it is a passing incident move on and try not to draw any further attention to yourself. If this supervisor has a rep for calling out things like this try to avoid triggering them as it definitely sounds like no quarter given, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Latest person was going to take superviser to court, but management has settled it somehow and now there is no visible issue there between them. It seems that the supervisor just found another toy and if I will endure I'll break down.

If management have defended this person before, they’ll do it again.

You’ve only two months under your belt, you’ve broken the rules and you know this person has management on their side.

As was said, the best thing you can do is put the head down, follow the rules and give her no reason to call you out on anything.

Thank you all for your time and consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Thank you all for your time and consideration.

Please make a note somewhere of the time and date of that incident and who else was present, and any further incidents. That may not seem important at the time but can prove very valuable if you ever end up in a meeting with HR . You are in a vulnerable position right now as you are there such a short period.There are no bad jobs, only bad managers.
    Give yourself enough time when you get to work to get ready to be on duty, it decreases stress levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, I would do the same, take notes in case it happens again. I don't own any businesses, but I would be disgusted if I thought one of my employers did something like that in front of other colleagues, and especially clients. There's a proper procedure for everything, and she completely went beyond it on what I can only fathom is a power trip. We're adults, not children, and your workplace is supposed to be professional, especially by management. And threats are completely unjustified.

When I was younger, I would take it, but not nowadays. But as mentioned, because you're still quite new there, take a note, and try to ensure you don't break similar small rules if possible. Don't give them any ammo. (And leave for work 5 minutes earlier in future!)

Advertisement