Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a Bass in Dublin

• 30-03-2020 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Hi. Playing guitar a couple of years and would like to give Bass a go. Want to buy local if possible, when we can again.

Is there anywhere in Dublin with a decent selection....have looked at shops websites but very little in sub 500e on offer.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Have you tried xmusic? Other than that Walton's would be worth a gander. Most people buy online as the bargains available are difficult for bricks and mortar stores to compete with.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Thanks. Would like to support a local shop after all this...if I can.

Anything you'd recommend? Sound wise I'm thinking a p bass but haven't had a chance to try one out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

YouTube is the way to go for research. There's a few classic Bass guitars such as Jazz, Precision, Stingray that all have their own distinctive tone. Have a gander at a few comparison vids such as these...

A good old reliable guitar is a Squier. They're owned by Fender and by all intents and purposes are just as good as some mid-tier Fender guitars. There are plenty of comparison vids on YT.

Squier Jazz Bass

Squier P-Bass

Thanks for the links - really. Will have a look in musicmaker when shops reipen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Look in the Music Outlet in Swords too if you can, Niall there will match online prices.

• Advertisement

I'm looking at squier cv 70s precision, sterling sub or ibanez 300

Anywhere in Dublin stock these (have had a look on mm, Walton's websites etc) or will I have to get online?

I like the precision sound but would like something a bit different as k already have 2 fenders. Is the sterling a good buy or safer sticking with the CV especially if I'm buying unseen,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

While I think the buying new from a shop is admirable, It's also a bit mad imo.

The sterling sub for instance - 400 quid means 75 is vat, seller prob has 100 profit, shipping misc etc so it's a 200 quid bass. If you wanted to sell it in six months you'd get 300.

if you bought a half decent bass on adverts etc for say 500, you would prob get that back again. A better sterling option would be the Ray 34. Better than the sub. The Ray 34 is about 1100 new and can be got for around 500 2nd hand in very good nick. I sold one, with case for 550 a while ago and it was as new.

A 70's P bass is a fantastic sounding bass (I have one) but probably way above your budget, but a half decent copy would be good. The squire is a good option.

Advertisement