Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tax Calculation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59,542 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

* PRSI and USC are both charged on gross earnings minus any 'salary sacrifice' deductions (e.g. bike to work or travel saver tickets). PRSI is generally 4% for most employees. USC is at various rates on various bands of income.

* PAYE on gross earnings minus any 'salary sacrifice' deductions and any pension or income protection (PHI) deductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Hi, I'm a PAYE worker, but this year was paid for some design work. Using myaccount on ros.ie what exactly do I declare this additional income, as I'm not registered as a sole trader or anything other than a PAYE worker?

I assume either untaxed income arising in the state or Emp/Off/Pen not subject to PAYE?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 spoiler

You would wait till next year and file a form 12 for 2018. There are two ways you can declare the income you could declare it as a trade if there were expenses related to it you would do it this way and pay the tax on the profit or if there were no expenses related to it then you would enter it in fees, commissions etc.

Entering it as a trade on a form 12 the profit would need to be 5,000 or less if greater will need to register as a tax assessable person and file a form 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

spoiler wrote: »
    You would wait till next year and file a form 12 for 2018. There are two ways you can declare the income you could declare it as a trade if there were expenses related to it you would do it this way and pay the tax on the profit or if there were no expenses related to it then you would enter it in fees, commissions etc.

Entering it as a trade on a form 12 the profit would need to be 5,000 or less if greater will need to register as a tax assessable person and file a form 11.
    Aha, so non paye money earned in 2018 is declared in October 2019?

Ooops.....hope I can delete that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

My job is meant to have a flat rate expense of 520 or so...

I was only credited with 113 or something like that.

Is this a very basic mistake or something I can fix with a phone call I wonder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

My job is meant to have a flat rate expense of 520 or so...

I was only credited with 113 or something like that.

Is this a very basic mistake or something I can fix with a phone call I wonder

These exps just reduce the amount of income that is taxed , so if you are on the lower rate of tax you get 520 X 20% back

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hi all,
    Just a query. My wife is currently on illness benefit, and unsure when she will be able to return to work (has been on illness since last August). As I am the main earner, we were thinking about allocating her tax credits to me. The question I have is, should she go back to work, can the tax credits be reassigned back to her next year, or is it a case of once assigned, it cannot be reversed? Also, she currently has unused HRI credits from last year, can these also been assigned for me to use?

The other option is that she doesnt go back to work, what way do the tax credit works.

For mathematical reasons lets say:

My income 75k
    Her income 25k or Illness Benefit of 10000
    Or another option is that she goes back part time (doctor depending) and could get 8k a year income, so 75k + 8k (sorry, mathematical reasons skew here! :D )

Not sure how to work out tax from that, as the tax bands get confusing as it says "€44,300 @ 20% with an increase of €26,300 if married and both with income"

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What do you mean exactly by "unused HRI credits from last year"
    How did they arise in her name?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

What do you mean exactly by "unused HRI credits from last year"
    How did they arise in her name?

She pays the property tax on our home, so it automatically went to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

My query relates to this page regarding tax bands and rates.

I am married and earn approx €44K gross pa. My wife has just started part time work and will earn maybe €10K gross this year. We also rent out a house (which I bought before we got married) and this takes in approx. €8K gross pa. Approx. €62K gross pa in total.

Will I be taxed on the €8K rental income at 20% or 40%? In other words can this €8K be taxed under the €26,300 max under my wife's allowance or does it have to be put against my income which means 40%? Thanks for any guidance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭sacamano

As far as I know you'll be taxed as follows, but I'm open to correction:

44,300 @ 20%
    10,000 @ 20%
    7,700 @ 40%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

sacamano wrote: »
    As far as I know you'll be taxed as follows, but I'm open to correction:

44,300 @ 20%
    10,000 @ 20%
    7,700 @ 40%

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 justme34

Hello ,
    I am a single man 35 currently working in two jobs ,first job in retail with annual income around 18000 euro paid montlhy and second job as a firefighter with estimated income 18000 -20000 euro paid quarterly.Both jobs will give me very similar income .Because I started work as firefighter in middle 2019 I have been taxed very hard . I want setup my tax credit and rate band on revenue site for 2020 so I kindly ask here for advice .Thanks Lukasz

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Probably a dumb question but need to do tax return on a rental property we started earning income on from September 2019.

We are using a letting agent who pay us the rent less their fee each month, when calculating the income I'm assuming we use the full gross amount to received, then when calculating taxable expenses we include the letting fee there OR do we use the net amount (the rent we physically get paid in to a bank account after the letting fees are deducted) and them deduct all other expenses after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FifaClubs Conor

Hello, I have a couple of questions in regards to tax due on dividends and CGT on US stocks. I received about 400$ in dividends from these shares this year, which incurred 15% tax on source from US side. My only other income from this year was from online poker, this is not taxable as it is treated as gambling winnings. Do I owe further tax on these dividends to revenue? My understanding is I don't as I fall below the minimum taxable income, but would like to double check. If I don't, do I still have to file and declare the income?

Also in regards to CGT, I made disposals for the year which fall below the 1270 euro annual allowance. Do I still have to report this to revenue even though I have no tax on it due?

Appreciate any responses, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Lads, I have some real dumb questions here. I don't understand this myAccount business at all. Sorry but I don't understand why it's so full of detail yet absolutely nothing is explained.

Wtf is a statement of liability vs an income tax return? Why is there no income tax return for 2019? Why can I "request" a statement of liability for 2018 but only "edit" it for 2019? If I choose 2018 > Edit Income Tax Return > Tax Credits and Reliefs I have 3 check boxes to "confirm". What actually happens when I confirm these, and why would I even need to do it?

Mucc3tj.png

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Lads, I have some real dumb questions here. I don't understand this myAccount business at all. Sorry but I don't understand why it's so full of detail yet absolutely nothing is explained.

Wtf is a statement of liability vs an income tax return? Why is there no income tax return for 2019? Why can I "request" a statement of liability for 2018 but only "edit" it for 2019? If I choose 2018 > Edit Income Tax Return > Tax Credits and Reliefs I have 3 check boxes to "confirm". What actually happens when I confirm these, and why would I even need to do it?

Mucc3tj.png

This explains a lot of what you asked
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/end-of-year-process/statement-of-liability.aspx

2019 is different to other years as it is the first year under PAYE modernisation.

Up to 2018 you could request a statement of liability (p21 in old terminology) in 2 ways. Either (A) request one and revenue would issue it based on what documentation they had for you or (B) complete tax return with any additional items you felt were relevant which revenue mightn’t know about unless you told them, e.g. medical exp.

For 2019 the only way to get the sol is to complete a tax return. Your preliminary result for the year might show a refund but if you want it you have to complete a return. That way you are declaring the income and claims to be a complete and true reflection of the year.

You need to confirm the items you showed so revenue know that you agree that you’re entitled to them. If anything is there that shouldn’t be have the option to edit or remove it ( some things can’t be removed as they are statutory items such as your personal credit ).

Once the return s submitted the sol will issue and any under or overpayment will be recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Ok thank you very much for that, so by clicking confirm and completing the 2018 tax return it tells the revenue that all of these things need to be accounted for, and they will just calculate themselves if I need a refund basically? For example I would have thought I was due €200 for the over €1000 medical insurance I paid in 2018 because apparently that is refunded @ 20% (fingers crossed!).

I also have a crazy situation right now where I thought I was due at least €700 but they are telling me I've been over-taxed throughout the year because I under paid tax during a previous year which I have no idea how that happened as a regular PAYE employee so have to go and dig through all previous years as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Ok thank you very much for that, so by clicking confirm and completing the 2018 tax return it tells the revenue that all of these things need to be accounted for, and they will just calculate themselves if I need a refund basically? For example I would have thought I was due €200 for the over €1000 medical insurance I paid in 2018 because apparently that is refunded @ 20% (fingers crossed!).

I also have a crazy situation right now where I thought I was due at least €700 but they are telling me I've been over-taxed throughout the year because I under paid tax during a previous year which I have no idea how that happened as a regular PAYE employee so have to go and dig through all previous years as well.

Unless the medical insurance credit was just added by you; then you've already received the benefit of it through the year so no further refund could be due based on that relief. Also you may need a refund but unless you are claiming and additional tax credit/relief; have been over taxed due to switching multiple jobs through the year or were emergency taxed; then normally no refund/underpayment should occur as you would have been taxed correctly through the year by your employer.

They will do the calculation once you accept or amend any of the entries.
    If you underpay in a p/yr they will usually collect that in a following year so that might throw you off a bit if you thought you were due something back.
    If you'r enot sure how that happened go to MyDocuments and look out the earlier Balancing Statements (P21) and it will show the year(s) of u/payt and how it was proposed to handle it.

Medical insurance paid directly by you to an insurer already has 20% tax credit (subject to maximum of 20% of €1,000 per adult and €500 per child) granted at source when you pay the insurer. So there is no futher amount on your tax credits. If you are paying medical insurance via employer and the employer is paying portion then you are paying BiK on their portion but may have additional tax credit subject to the maximum applied to your tax credits during the year or you can claim it on a year end review.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wat24

Just looking for a bit of help with my 2019 tax. I was on maternity leave from July-December. I received the 245 a week from maternity pay and my employer topped up my wages to make up my normal salary. What’s confusing me is there seems to be two figures for my gross salary 34363 and 36721 I assume this has something to do with the maternity pay. It states my income for tax is 31,619 is this the figure I should be using to work out how much tax I should have paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Reactor

Im useless at tax calcs and trying and failing to work out my net hourly pay especially when I do overtime and earn double time. If the gross per month is €3125 and I do 18 hours overtime at doubletime for €692.28 these are my deductions:

PAYE 583.58
    PRSI 152.69
    USC 115.36
    PENSION 200.00

What is my net hourly wage for my 39 hour week? And what is my net hourly wage when doing an hour of doubletime please?

Sorry if Im being lazy but Im genuinely useless at this.

Also is it true if you do overtime its taxed at 50% straight away even if you havent gone over the bands or rate limits at €35000 or however it works?

Based on the data you provided, here's my spreadsheet's calculations (month 1 is with overtime, month 2 is without):

64Omxom.png

You can get the simple average for each month by dividing the net pay values by the number of hours worked in the month.

The total deductions from your overtime depend on whether your earnings are over the €35300 standard-rate band- once you're under that, the typical deductions will be 20% PAYE + 4% PRSI + 4.5% USC. However, once you're over the €35,300, the PAYE rate goes to 40% on the excess, PRSI stays at 4% and the USC rate stays at 4.5% (unless you earn over €70K)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Apologies if this has been asked before but my employer contributes €50 per month towards health insurance. This appears on Revenue as "Taxable Benefit." Am i able to get relief on this? I've look and i don't seem to be getting any already - i.e. there is no "Medical Insurance Relief" showing on my list of Tax Credits like an earlier poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

Hi,

I am married and have one child (2 years old now). My wife and I are on Joint Assessment.
    I've been trying to work out if we'll get anything back for 2019. I submitted the return on Jan 1st but still waiting for my SOL. It's been such a long wait, so, I want to now try and calculate it myself to see if we're owed anything back. Due to our situation in 2019, I'm not finding it to be straightforward, so would appreciate any guidance on how to do this.

Me -
    I was employed until the end of August 2019, when I was made redundant. My wife was unemployed when I was working, so I had the following.
    €44,300 SRCOP
    €3,300 Personal tax credit
    €1,500 Home carer's tax credit
    €1,650 Employee Tax Credit

Due to the redundancy, I received a lump sum payment that was made up of the tax-free statutory redundancy payment and an ex-gratia payment which was also tax-free as it was well within the exemption amount.

I was on Jobseeker's Benefit from September to December. I claimed Unemployment repayment in December and got a refund due until 5th December.

My wife -
    She was unemployed most of 2019 but started working in August, just 2 weeks before I finished up. When unemployed, she was not on any pay-related benefit (ineligible).

I didn't transfer the unused rate band and credits to her since it seemed simpler to sort it out at the start of 2020 via a Tax Return. So, in 2019, she had the following.
    €0 SRCOP
    €1,650 Employee Tax Credit

--
    All previous years, I was the only one employed, so I could simply use an online calculator with the status "Married, 1 income". But in 2019, when one of us was employed, the other was not (apart from the 2-week overlap as stated above). So I'm not sure how to even begin the calculation, never mind factoring in other details like the Unemployment refund I have already received. Any pointers would be appreciated. :)

Possibly my spreadsheet will help- it allows you to specify individual SRCOP and tax credits (use the Marital status dropdown for entering these values) and start and end dates for each employment (there's a start/ end date icon for these). See following image:

D1qJeWG.png

It won't factor in your partial refunds arising from unemployment so it's only going to give a ballpark value for expected tax/ PRSi/ USC during periods of employment. Also, it assumes that the values for tax credits and SRCOP are correct- you'd need to be sure that with your spouse partially working that you can claim the Home carer credit. Basically, 'caveat emptor'

Spreadsheet link: http://taxcalc.eu/monthlyss/Employee%20PAYE%20calculator.xlsm

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

Would it be beneficial for a married couple who are assessed separately to be jointly assessed. One is on €63k and the other is usually on €80k but is on 50% of this for Apr and May (at least)?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭irishfemme

I am trying to understand my tax ...

My tax credit is a total of €4950, it was reduced by 20% of an illness benefit received. Ie tax credit is now €4000
    At the end of the tax year, claiming my statement of liability, my illness benefit is added to my total income & taxed again at 20%.
    The question is, I noticed my tax credit is still reduced on my statement 🤔? So, am paying in form of tax credit reduction & also in tax, against the same tax credit. Does this sound right? Or is the tax credit reduced by something else unspecified?
    Let assume my total income, including illness benefit is €20,000, taxed at 20% , that's €4000, I should have the €4950 tax credit, but instead it says, tax credit €4000, tax calculation €4000, no overpayment.
    Shouldn't revenue owe me the €950 unused tax credit?

irishfemme wrote: »
    I am trying to understand my tax ...

My tax credit is a total of €4950, it was reduced by 20% of an illness benefit received. Ie tax credit is now €4000
    At the end of the tax year, claiming my statement of liability, my illness benefit is added to my total income & taxed again at 20%.
    The question is, I noticed my tax credit is still reduced on my statement ��? So, am paying in form of tax credit reduction & also in tax, against the same tax credit. Does this sound right? Or is the tax credit reduced by something else unspecified?
    Let assume my total income, including illness benefit is €20,000, taxed at 20% , that's €4000, I should have the €4950 tax credit, but instead it says, tax credit €4000, tax calculation €4000, no overpayment.
    Shouldn't revenue owe me the €950 unused tax credit?

If your Tax credits are €4,950 and your taxable income is €20,000 which needs €4,000 in tax credits to cover it ( at 20% ) then you have no tax to pay. The extra €950 isn't due to you. It's not tax you've actually paid.

Think of it this way using smaller earnings. A student with a part-time job earns €5,000 pa. The tax due on that would be €1,000. Normal tax credits single person are €3,300 so that covers any tax due. They don't get the other €2,300 refunded to them. However if they earned up to €16,500 the tax due would be €3,300 and the tax credit covers up to that so no tax due.

You could, with tax credits of €4,950 potentially earn up to €24,750 before you'd have tax kicking in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭irishfemme

Many thanks! Whaoo, I feel soo foolish for asking. You know, every little helps. I absolutely understand it now. Thanks again.
    Stratvs wrote: »
    If your Tax credits are €4,950 and your taxable income is €20,000 which needs €4,000 in tax credits to cover it ( at 20% ) then you have no tax to pay. The extra €950 isn't due to you. It's not tax you've actually paid. in.

Advertisement