Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭OrdeP

Manion wrote: »
    There are no solid walls in the house, you need to be extremely careful hanging anything on the walls. You should you plaster board wall plugs.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭OrdeP

Nhol78 wrote: »
    Eir is lying to you, I am going to talk to Open Eir tomorrow as they manage the infrastructure, I think Vodafone is probably being more realistic.

Maybe they are
    Please let me know how the conversion with open eir goes. I can definetly put some more pressure there if it may bring the ETA down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Has anyone wall mounted a tv in the top floor bedroom, main living room or back living room?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭maciektok

If wanna mount the tv on the wall in the living room remove a cover on the on that box in the middle of the wall, have a look inside and you will see a stud on your left, another stud is 40 cm to the right, you can attach wall mount in the these two studs, well that's what I've done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

OrdeP wrote: »
    Thank you.
    Look for Molly bolts, DIY shops have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nhol78

Eir is lying to you, I am going to talk to Open Eir tomorrow as they manage the infrastructure, I think Vodafone is probably being more realistic.

Maybe they are
    Please let me know how the conversion with open eir goes. I can definetly put some more pressure there if it may bring the ETA down.
    I called Open Eir to be told that they do not deal with these queries, I then ended up back with Eir and some one actually told me the truth, She said there was no cables and that the next update would be late June around 23rd and that they would call me.

You learn new things every day when you are buying a new house :)
    The houses are not wired for a motion sensor in the hall, If you want one you need to pay 260 euro extra to get one that is wireless . If your house is not built yet and you want one ask the electrician to add the extra wire, it will cost next to nothing.
    Our fridge is not working, freezer is fine, The kitchen company are saying that if they send an engineer out and they think that it is not faulty then we have to pay for the engineer... Has anyone else had this experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

The houses are not wired for a motion sensor in the hall, If you want one you need to pay 260 euro extra to get one that is wireless . If your house is not built yet and you want one ask the electrician to add the extra wire, it will cost next to nothing.
    Our fridge is not working, freezer is fine, The kitchen company are saying that if they send an engineer out and they think that it is not faulty then we have to pay for the engineer... Has anyone else had this experience?

The hall is definitely wired for an alarm motion sensor in the herron. I think you're being ripped off by whatever company. If your house does not have a wire it's a fault.

I'm happy to share photos

Manion wrote: »

The hall is definitely wired for an alarm motion sensor in the herron. I think you're being ripped off by whatever company.  If your house does  not have a wire it's a fault.

I'm happy to share photos
    Please do share the photo's, thank you in advance, maybe the wire is buried in the wall..

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

Please do share the photo's, thank you in advance, maybe the wire is buried in the wall..

We have PIR wired in hall of Heron. One company we got a quote from told me it wasn't possible but the others said that the wire is in the wall but needs to be dropped down. It took the installer a bit of of time to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

So I contacted Sky about getting a TV/Broadband bundle only to be told that because its a new build they wouldn't be able to provide broadband and that only Eir would be able to provide it.

Not sure why they would turn away business like that.
    I've had ADSL with Smart Telecom many years back and they were able to get Eircom to hook up the line, and they then included line rental in the cost of their package.. what gives? Are they telling me porkies..

The way it works is Eir installs the line and if you go with Eir the line is free, if you go with another provider you need to pay Eir to for the installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

What have people done for shelving in the small family room?
    The built in unit in the show house was nice but out of budget.

We were looking at the ikea besta, but with the lack of solid walls, its not an option.

Looking for ideas for people who have moved in have done.

fret_wimp2 wrote: »

We were looking at the ikea besta, but with the lack of solid walls, its not an option.

Can you not use a stud finder?

The way it works is Eir installs the line and if you go with Eir the line is free, if you go with another provider you need to pay Eir to for the installation.

Nope: Is this what Eir told you?

OpenEIR own the network, and will install the Fiber to the "curb" distribution box. (Big 1 meter square boxes in the foot path, every 7 or so houses. They will then install a coper line (looked to be standard cat 5 cable) into the box outside your front door. Thats them finished.

KN will then come out and install the vDSL splitter box in your home and telephone access point. They also go back to the Fiber cabinet and make the broadband connection live.

At no point do you need to arrange installation with Eir and then swap. Infact if you arrange your line install via Eir they will lock you into an 18 month contract. You should be able to go with any number of providers. Vodafone offers a deal in the estate which is not better, just marginally different than the standard offer, however there is an Irish vodafone guy dedicated to getting new customers onboard. Having a number you can ring up and get information on when the line will be installed is good. I regret a little bit not going with that option.

The point is, you definitely dont need to deal with Eir directly. The following are all providers who where happy to arrange installation in royal canal park.
    • Vodafone,
    • Magnet
    • Pure Telecom

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gloria6232

My wife and I have just been offered a cancellation on the herons facing the canal on royal canal avenue. Loads of useful information on this thread and was just hoping to get some advice from anyone already in similar house...

Do the herons facing canal get any sunlight in the back garden?

Can a 2nd parking parking space be added in time to houses with only 1 parking space & the flower bed where the 2nd would be?

Has anyone fully removed the whole wall between the living room and kitchen in a heron?

The proposed kitchen layout doesnt seem brilliant (to my mind), will the kitchen company allow adjustments to the island or alternative islands?

Thanks

The Garden gets plenty of sun during the summer months. You won't have a lot of light coming into your kitchen nor on your patio area.

You won't be able to add a second parking space as legally you don't own the parking space nor the flower beds. Our solicitor explained it's more akin to an exclusive use agreement. Even if you could, about a quarter of the flower bed is across the property line.

The builder up to now has facilitated putting an opening from the sitting room into the kitchen. They won't remove the full wall.

The kitchen people will accommodate changes. They are not the best to deal with. I'd recommend calling out in person to the factory and also make sure you get drawings of any changes. Alternative islands may be restricted by other factors.

thanks a mil Manion, appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 andreionut

Hi,

Sorry if it sounds a silly question. But have you hanged some bathroom cabinet on the wall? Could you let me know what screws you've used or what type of wall is behind the paint?

Thank you

Like others mentioned, the walls are plasterboard. It looks thicker than what I saw before, so that's good. You can hang heavy stuff like cabinets with special fixings. I hanged a few things (cabinet in utility room and a tv stand) and I always try to find the studs. Generally I saw that they are 60cm or farther apart, but it varies as the sockets are installed on a stud generally. If they don't line up for your cabinet try to add an extra fixture in the stud. Get some heavy duty plasterboard fixings from a diy shop, they generally act like anchors.
    fret_wimp2 wrote: »

I hanged a besta tv stand and the rail they have helps you to use as much of the studs as possible. IMG_1492.JPG

If you don't want to do that, you can build units that sit on the floor.
    I noticed that the besta units have thick margins and that will use some space compared with other storage systems.

• Advertisement

Would anyone be able to PM contact details of kitchen company (or people in the company ypu dealt with? We would just like to look at options for altering the island/appliances/layout with them.

It's a statement of fact that fitzgeraldkitchens.com are the kitchen suppliers for Ballymore on this site. Eamonn is the main guy dealing with the site.

Note to all newcomers to the area (myself included in that) on feeding swans/ducks. One of the swans regularly at our lock hasn't been seen in months and last reports indicated he'd been taken away by DSPCA for treatment. A lot of people were seen feeding these swans white bread and even sandwiches as they had taken to nesting down by Ashtown train station. The RCP facebook page had some info on this.

The below link has a good description on what to feed and what not to feed swans on the canal.

http://grandcanaldublin.com/?p=326

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tippmon

Hi all

Sorry if this has been covered already but we are trying to decide between the vertical radiator and a spit radiator as we have gone with the pocket doors in the living room (Herron).

Does anyone have pictures of what has been done? I'd be interested in seeing how the vertical one looks in the kitchen?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sunshine135

We snagged out house (Ash) last Friday.

Our snagger seemed very thorough and picked up many things we wouldn't notice, followed with 9 pages report and the pictures.

We were happy that there seem to be rather minor issues. The biggest issues were: the condition of the garden wall (large deep mark, plaster splashes and some chips), some squicky steps in the staircase and different showers fitted (we paid extra for different showers).

We were happy to see that the kitchen, which many people seem to be dissatisfied with, seemed to be fitted really well, especially that we asked for some changes.

Also, the house was painted "brilliant white" colour, which we really liked (we always preferred white over grey in the showhouse). It's a bright pure white colour, not some hideous shade of white, so no need to repaint (we plan to repaint only few rooms where we want a different effect).

Overall really happy, good luck to everyone with your snagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

Doubt there'll be news for months yet.
    They haven't broken ground on the supermarket unit yet so unless Aldi make an announcement or another application for planning permission goes in we won't get an update.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ant034

Quick question

So I completed the snagging of one of the Ash and there is a couple of pages of stuff to fix. Liston solicitors have been on to mine though looking to close the deal in the next 14 days while the completion of the snag list will not be completed by the time I would be finalising this. Can you hold off on completing the sale until you verify that the snag list is fully completed? Or does it matter?

Ant034 wrote: »
    Quick question

So I completed the snagging of one of the Ash and there is a couple of pages of stuff to fix. Liston solicitors have been on to mine though looking to close the deal in the next 14 days while the completion of the snag list will not be completed by the time I would be finalising this. Can you hold off on completing the sale until you verify that the snag list is fully completed? Or does it matter?

I presume you are paying your solicitor for services, speak to him about it and if you would rather wait then he can pass on that message.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

Quick question

That was our case as well (also with Ash). Our solicitor told us to make sure we were happy with the snag list, and then promptly notify him when it was completed to our satisfaction. We closed on the house in about three weeks from snagging. I think Liston just follows their standard procedure, and if your solicitor is the least bit assertive, he'll push back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Quick question

yes you can. We had 300+ things in our list. most were simple things like "dirty handprint on the wall" or "white paint on door hinges".
    In the list we had a small number of things we wanted fixed, the rest were just dressing.

Get these sorted, then close.
    After you recheck the snag, some of these items wont be done. You walk around the house with a Ballymore snagger who says he will sort them.
    We found most of these items were still not resolved when we got the keys, so push for confirmation they are fixed or will be fixed, as its a lot more difficult to get them sorted after closing.

Advertisement