Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,911 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

2 calves born today. All good.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Madisonmenece

8 calved here, 8 bulls and only 1 heifer (1 set of twin bulls), percentages not going our way for replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

whelan2 wrote: »
    2 calves born today. All good.

When did you start breeding whelan? 6 on the straw here since sunday. Hopefully theyllnhold out till next week

When did you start breeding whelan? 6 on the straw here since sunday. Hopefully theyllnhold out till next week

Angus bull went with heifers on 9th of April. Another calf born there when I came home from football. First cow. They only started being served on 26th April. I only took the cow out today . Must look up when she was served. 3rd of may service date fr4513

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

20% calfed here started newyears. One fatality a calf missing bit of her gut and had to be put down. Out of 4 heifers calfed with lm2014 2 were jacked and 2 dropped little rabbits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Nothing until late February

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭orm0nd

anybody else getting calves dropped 12 to 18 days early ? calves small but very hardy , up and motoring straight away,

cows dont seem to spring down until 2 to 3 days after calving

cows were getting oats/soya mix for a couple of weeks cos they were on very middling silage

not complaining .. a bit early i know but IMO better than 1st May (we've a couple of late april calvers, but most likely these will carry 3 weeks over :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭tanko

valtra2 wrote: »
    20% calfed here started newyears. One fatality a calf missing bit of her gut and had to be put down. Out of 4 heifers calfed with lm2014 2 were jacked and 2 dropped little rabbits.

Were the two that had to be jacked bulls and the two small ones heifers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭squinn2912

orm0nd wrote: »
    anybody else getting calves dropped 12 to 18 days early ? calves small but very hardy , up and motoring straight away,

cows were getting oats/soya mix for a couple of weeks cos they were on very middling silage

not complaining .. a bit early i know but IMO better than 1st May (we've a couple of late april calvers, but most likely these will carry 3 weeks over :D )

Nothing here yet but two heifers starting to move. With the mild weather it would be nice to be calving them and not in the freezing cold

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

tanko wrote: »
    Were the two that had to be jacked bulls and the two small ones heifers?

Yip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Nothing here yet but two heifers starting to move. With the mild weather it would be nice to be calving them and not in the freezing cold

Youd see a lot more scour in mild weather, a bit of cold is no harm, warm wet weather is heaven for bugs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Maternity ward is busy tonight! vet also on the way to a cow with a twisted womb... lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Good loser

A Her born mar 2018 springing for the last week.
    Hope she calves sat/sun and easily.

One of a bunch of 14.
    Looks like none of the others were rogered. But not sure.

Youd see a lot more scour in mild weather, a bit of cold is no harm, warm wet weather is heaven for bugs

That's true too. Cows all vaccinated yesterday for lepto and scour so hopefully that'll keep all right as well. Cool rather than cold I don't like harsh weather but we'll be out in it soon enough and it won't be too pleasant. I'd like to push ahead and just be in it rather than waiting around. Everything is sitting ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Dunedin

First calf dropped here last night. Calved around 9pm and sucked himself. If only they’d all do the same......

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

first calf dropped friday dinner time 10 days early

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

First lady has just started here. Just spotted her on the camera at work. She normally takes her time calving and I'd expect her to calve away on her own. I'll be there before 5pm anyway just in case. Watch this space.........

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭RD10

Parishlad wrote: »
    First lady has just started here. Just spotted her on the camera at work. She normally takes her time calving and I'd expect her to calve away on her own. I'll be there before 5pm anyway just in case. Watch this space.........

Any news?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Toetohand

orm0nd wrote: »

Noticed that with cows that were AI to FR last year. Once stock bull AA went in it stopped. Only thing that struck me was they were short gestation bulls on cows that were sired by short gestation bulls. Pushed start of breeding back a week as result. Average was 10 days to 2 weeks early. Due to start this year 7/2 but first few will do well to get past weekend. Interesting to see if it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭stanflt

Avg about 6 a day here at the minute- 50 cows in the boxes atm- have 32 heifer calves in on the ground- going well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

stanflt wrote: »
    Avg about 6 a day here at the minute- 50 cows in the boxes atm- have 32 heifer calves in on the ground- going well

How long would you have them in the calving boxes.? Would normally just bring em in here as the pins drop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭stanflt

Mooooo wrote: »
    How long would you have them in the calving boxes.? Would normally just bring em in here as the pins drop

Avg about 3 days- we synced 45 heifers the one day and had 10 cows on 2

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

RD10 wrote: »
    Any news?

Well that didn’t go exactly to plan! Ended up with a section. Calf wasn’t huge but cow just didn’t open up properly. Anyway, healthy heifer calf and cow is ok so far too. What a start to the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Heifer number 3 just calved. All abit earlier than I wanted.

Had a cow calving this morning had one of the legs bent back. Got it sorted and calf out

First set of twin of the year. 2 friesian heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

First set of twin of the year. 2 friesian heifers.

Snap.

Mystic x HMY

First calf last night. First fatality I’m afraid. Calved 2-3 weeks early and my father got her with the calf on the slats and calfbed out. Vet came and it was an ordeal getting it back in. Same one had a calf died at 7 months last year. 2/2 disasters. Wouldn’t be long putting you off giving second chances. No springing no nothing and she was checked yesterday morning. Grim.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    First calf last night. First fatality I’m afraid. Calved 2-3 weeks early and my father got her with the calf on the slats and calfbed out. Vet came and it was an ordeal getting it back in. Same one had a calf died at 7 months last year. 2/2 disasters. Wouldn’t be long putting you off giving second chances. No springing no nothing and she was checked yesterday morning. Grim.
    Ah the first one is always trouble. Hopefully she will come ok. Vet here last year used sugar on the calf bed before he pushed it back in

• Advertisement

Ah the first one is always trouble. Hopefully she will come ok. Vet here last year used sugar on the calf bed before he pushed it back in

Yea my brother in law was saying that last night alright. Long time since it happened round here thank God, ag yea she’s ok like. Lovely animal but that’s twice she’s produced nothing. Hook.

Advertisement