Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Armstrong 2019/20 season

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 undisputed

Lul means " loads uf laugh"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

If spidersweb would like to bet on Elm Mount or anyone else finishing ahead of Gonzaga A then please get in touch and I will be glad to take your bet. If You want to bet on Ireland winning the rugby world cup or qualifying for Euro 2020 I will be happy to take those bets too!!

Gonzaga A will finish top.
    Gonzaga B will finish middle of the table.
    Ballinasloe and Blanch will be relegated

undisputed wrote: »
    Gonzaga A will finish top.
    Gonzaga B will finish middle of the table.
    Ballinasloe and Blanch will be relegated

Blanchardstown keep introducing unrated players that no one has ever heard of before and who seem to be decent players so I wouldn't be confident in predicting their relegation. It is the clubs that have problems turning out their strongest team for every match that are most at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

sodacat11 wrote: »
    Blanchardstown keep introducing unrated players that no one has ever heard of before and who seem to be decent players so I wouldn't be confident in predicting their relegation. It is the clubs that have problems turning out their strongest team for every match that are most at risk.

Agreed. How can Trinity register 11 players for their team (three more than required), yet only get out three of them on the night? Especially against one of the strongest clubs.
    Was this a deliberate ploy to set a hot pace for the Gonzaga teams?

It makes a mockery of the whole league.

On the other hand, if the policy is to have the team largely consist of current students, that is creditable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

Trinity's problem is quite a few of their registered players do not live in Dublin and have to commute from Cork/Northern Ireland so will never be able to play midweek.

Based on the team lists we have seen so far I would guess it will be Ballinasloe + 1 of Trinity, Blanchardstown, Dublin and Rathmines for the second relegation spot.

Trinity's problem is quite a few of their registered players do not live in Dublin and have to commute from Cork/Northern Ireland so will never be able to play midweek.

Based on the team lists we have seen so far I would guess it will be Ballinasloe + 1 of Trinity, Blanchardstown, Dublin and Rathmines for the second relegation spot.

If Trinity can't field decent teams midweek it undermines the integrity of the whole league. It is not fair that some teams have to meet the strongest Trinity team while others get to play a much weakened version. Rathmines have to play them away for the second year in a row while some relegation rivals get soft home matches against them. Every year Trinity seems to be a problem, the best solution would be if they left the league altogether and allowed their players to return to their parent clubs.

RooksPawn wrote: »
    Agreed. How can Trinity register 11 players for their team (three more than required), yet only get out three of them on the night? Especially against one of the strongest clubs.
    Was this a deliberate ploy to set a hot pace for the Gonzaga teams?

It makes a mockery of the whole league.

On the other hand, if the policy is to have the team largely consist of current students, that is creditable.

Did Trinity do that for the first time? No they did that on numerous occasions previously. Will they be relegated? No they won't. The big guns will show up when they really need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Millwall

If Trinity can't field decent teams midweek it undermines the integrity of the whole league. It is not fair that some teams have to meet the strongest Trinity team while others get to play a much weakened version. Rathmines have to play them away for the second year in a row while some relegation rivals get soft home matches against them. Every year Trinity seems to be a problem, the best solution would be if they left the league altogether and allowed their players to return to their parent clubs.

This just highlights how inconvenient midweek games are. All league games should be in the one venue on weekends and would avoid all the stress of chasing people around, ggs. Praise.

Not everyone can play weekends too. Some players have families

• Advertisement

I would prefer not to play on Saturdays at all. I don't mind giving up a weekend for a chess tournament but it just isn't worth it for one game. I think that the best solution would be two separate leagues, one midweek and one at weekends. If clubs wanted to enter a team for both then fair enough and the same would apply to any players that were happy to play in both but those of us who only wish to play midweek could do so and those who only like weekends would be catered for too.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭spidersweb

If spidersweb would like to bet on Elm Mount or anyone else finishing ahead of Gonzaga A then please get in touch and I will be glad to take your bet.
    Your on then! I just don't see Gonzaga A doing it this year and possibly 2nd or 3rd would be about right. It will become more apparent by xmass.

spidersweb wrote: »
    Your on then! I just don't see Gonzaga A doing it this year and possibly 2nd or 3rd would be about right. It will become more apparent by xmass.
    I was talking about a cash bet, not an imaginary one.

Sounds good to me. 100 Euros? And whats odds did you have in mind?

spidersweb wrote: »
    Sounds good to me. 100 Euros? And whats odds did you have in mind?
    Message me and let me know who you are first:)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭anchor4208

Surely there's an LCU/ICU code that says you can't bet on the outcome of an event in which you are participating???

anchor4208 wrote: »
    Surely there's an LCU/ICU code that says you can't bet on the outcome of an event in which you are participating???
    Surely I have no idea and could care less, but nobody will ever know anyway.

Did Benildus and Dublin play last night?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Yes; finished 5-3 to Dublin. Six draws in there.

Similar start to last season for us

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭macelligott

R3
    Bray 4.5-3.5 Elm Mount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 wine and final destination

Bit of an upset there?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

Gonzaga Ballinasloe 8-0

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

Kilkenny 6-2 gonzaga B

Balbriggan v Blanchardstown???

Bit of an upset there?

How do you arrive at that notion? I'd say this match could have gone either way. One of these two teams looks like winning the Armstrong this year too. with Gonzaga A still having an outside chance of defending their title with this impressive latest 8-0 result against one of the weakest teams this year?

Beckett, Brian

Lost

Bennett, Eric *

Drew

Cairns, John *

Drew

Curran, Garrett

Absent

Daly, Colm *

Won

De Verdier, Michael *

Absent

Mirza, Diana *

Absent

Pein, Jonathan *

Absent

Phelan, John J.
    Drew

Reynolds, Pat *
    Drew

Waters, Michael *
    Won

Fitzsimons, David *
    Absent

Jakubauskas, Zygimantas *
    Drew

MacElligott, Gerard *
    Drew

Melaugh, Gavin *
    Lost

Melaugh, Shane *
    Lost

O'Neill, Paul *
    Absent

Quinn, Ciaran *
    Won

Rahneberg, Matthias *
    Won

Rush, Stephen *
    Drew

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Could have gone either way alright but Bray arguably picked up more points than expected on the lower boards - 1.5/4 is a fair bit higher than the expected score I'd imagine.

Could have gone either way alright but Bray arguably picked up more points than expected on the lower boards - 1.5/4 is a fair bit higher than the expected score I'd imagine.
    Very possibly true. Not sure to be honest.

Bray / Greystones4 ½ – 3 ½Elm Mount

Board Colour Player Code Rating Result Player Code Rating

1BlackDaly, Colm29522121 – 0Melaugh, Shane1205521592

White
    Waters, Michael
    49420831 – 0Melaugh, Gavin1104320593

BlackCairns, John1602001½ – ½Rush, Stephen1823520614
    WhiteBennett, Eric27411902½ – ½MacElligott, Gerard107819815
    BlackReynolds, Pat14301819½ – ½Jakubauskas, Zygimantas927719266
    WhiteBeckett, Brian4317800 – 1Quinn, Ciaran139818877
    BlackBurke, James18191605½ – ½Boyle, Bernard317217238
    WhitePhelan, John J.13681557½ – ½MacDonagh, Alan10621664

Round 3Sat 02 Nov 19

There is far too much leeway being given with postponed games. If a team can't put a team out on the appointed day or within seven days of the fixture then they should either use subs or forfeit some games. Gonzaga got away with huge delays in fulfilling their fixture at the start of the league and now Balbriggan are getting the same preferential treatment. What is the point of having a fixture list at all if teams aren't made to adhere to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Why do you care? There are a grand total of 3 postponed games in the whole division, all of them 4 days old. If we apply your 'rule' of 7 days' grace, there are no games in the division postponed unreasonably. None. Zip. Nada.

What will Sodacat find to complain about next? Benildus' home games altitude advantage? (They're literally tens of metres higher than Rathmines!) Trinity playing under a nom de guerre? (Dublin University could be anyone!) Bray/Greystones' co-location? (Those are two different towns!) Clocks not being started until 7:17 pm? (Both players should default!) Answers on the back of a postcard to the division controller, please. We must know, before the league becomes a shambles in which amateur players are occasionally mildly accommodated when it suits both parties.

I personally feel it's cheating that they publish the fixtures at all. Players should have to guess when the game is on. It'd be a heck of an equaliser. Conor O'Donnell will look a right tit trying to beat me next season when he doesn't know the match is being played in a rowboat tied up in Baltray some time in March of 1997.

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »
    Why do you care? There are a grand total of 3 postponed games in the whole division, all of them 4 days old. If we apply your 'rule' of 7 days' grace, there are no games in the division postponed unreasonably. None. Zip. Nada.

What will Sodacat find to complain about next? Benildus' home games altitude advantage? (They're literally tens of metres higher than Rathmines!) Trinity playing under a nom de guerre? (Dublin University could be anyone!) Bray/Greystones' co-location? (Those are two different towns!) Clocks not being started until 7:17 pm? (Both players should default!) Answers on the back of a postcard to the division controller, please. We must know, before the league becomes a shambles in which amateur players are occasionally mildly accommodated when it suits both parties.

I personally feel it's cheating that they publish the fixtures at all. Players should have to guess when the game is on. It'd be a heck of an equaliser. Conor O'Donnell will look a right tit trying to beat me next season when he doesn't know the match is being played in a rowboat tied up in Baltray some time in March of 1997.
    Unless Benildus lose six players there is little chance of you ever playing Conor O'Donnell in the league.
    The reason I care, since you ask, is because some teams are losing points through walkovers and defaults while others get forever to fulfill their fixtures. Do you think that Gonzaga B would wait weeks to allow Elm Mount or Bray to field a full team against them if either of those teams were tied with Gonzaga A in the title race ? Or maybe you think Liverpool should postpone their game against Man City until Sane and Laporte return from injury?
    I notice that you never post anything here unless it's to snipe at me. I know they say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but frankly you bore me "Mikail" (you wish)

Advertisement