Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-02-2020, 17:58   #1
Mancath2

Motor

Hi

I have a BMW 2 series gran tourer. It is a 161 model. The car has been in on average twice per year over the last 3 years for left rear light bulb replacement. Also on a number of occasions the boot opened whilst driving. The approved agent updated the software to remedy this fault within warranty. This resulted in a double lock being applied to all passenger doors and a double click of key to unlock car.

Over the last few months the car has being struggling to start and on two occasions I had to call out roadside assist to jumpstart the car.

I left the car into BMW approved dealer 5 days ago who advised that as the car is out of warranty I would be liable for a €90 diagnostics charge. Following an 8 hour diagnostic investigation a battery drain was indicated which necessitated the removal of two back seats and a wire by wire examination.

5 days later and the car is still in the garage and I have been advised that my bill is currently at €500 as the technician cannot identify the cause of the drain.

On the basis of the information provided can anyone offer any advise as to the cause of this problem and suggest as to whether the preexisting issued ie blown bulbs and boot door opening (whilst car was within warranty) may be related to the current issue

Thanks
Advertisement
16-02-2020, 22:56   #2
Spear

Try the motors forum instead:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47
16-02-2020, 23:09   #3
mickdw

Any messages on the dash re battery discharge etc?
There have been a few issues with bmw down the years re draining battery but I wouldn't know anything of the 2 series itself.
20-02-2020, 13:30   #4
Casati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancath2 View Post
Hi

I have a BMW 2 series gran tourer. It is a 161 model. The car has been in on average twice per year over the last 3 years for left rear light bulb replacement. Also on a number of occasions the boot opened whilst driving. The approved agent updated the software to remedy this fault within warranty. This resulted in a double lock being applied to all passenger doors and a double click of key to unlock car.

Over the last few months the car has being struggling to start and on two occasions I had to call out roadside assist to jumpstart the car.

I left the car into BMW approved dealer 5 days ago who advised that as the car is out of warranty I would be liable for a €90 diagnostics charge. Following an 8 hour diagnostic investigation a battery drain was indicated which necessitated the removal of two back seats and a wire by wire examination.

5 days later and the car is still in the garage and I have been advised that my bill is currently at €500 as the technician cannot identify the cause of the drain.

On the basis of the information provided can anyone offer any advise as to the cause of this problem and suggest as to whether the preexisting issued ie blown bulbs and boot door opening (whilst car was within warranty) may be related to the current issue

Thanks
Surely the dealer isn’t charging you 500 quid for not being able to find the fault? I wouldn’t pay that bill

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion