Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Android Forum FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭squareboy007

Do you have "Facebook for HTC Sense" listed in your applications?

i do have facebook for htc sense.

facebook sync option now in calender and working

thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

does anyone know how the youtube downloader works? I've downloaded a video but I doing know how to find it on the phone and share it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    does anyone know how the youtube downloader works? I've downloaded a video but I doing know how to find it on the phone and share it.

You need a file manager to give you access to your memory card. I use Astro, its very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Cool, found in my astro files.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭s.a.man

I just ordered a sim free htc hero on ebay and I am just eager to know how well the media player works on the hero and also about the sound quality??

Can I use this as my main media player? Or should I hang on to my ipod touch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

s.a.man wrote: »
    I just ordered a sim free htc hero on ebay and I am just eager to know how well the media player works on the hero and also about the sound quality??

Music player it self aint bad it does the job not as complete as one on the ipod.

Sound is good though just get yourself decent set of earphones.
    But one thing ill say is be carefull there is no sound limit on this phone like the ipods.
    I found this out one nite with a set of really good earphones had volume up as high as goes and was listening to hardcore :p
    When i took earphones out could hear hissing noise in my ears for the whole night!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Just saw someone has Android 2.2 running on a nexus one. Does that mean we should be seeing some ROMs based on 2.2 available for download soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

s.a.man wrote: »

I am trying out NemoPlayer as a media player and it works quite well, integrates all of your photos, music and video into a single app.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

kc66 wrote: »
    Just saw someone has Android 2.2 running on a nexus one. Does that mean we should be seeing some ROMs based on 2.2 available for download soon?
    Im guessing thats either a JIT developer or someone in Adobe(they've been given Nexus Ones to work on Flash).
    Googles I/O conference is next week so after that we'll start seeing 2.2 ROMs popping up

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭s.a.man

Music player it self aint bad it does the job not as complete as one on the ipod.

Sound is good though just get yourself decent set of earphones.
    But one thing ill say is be carefull there is no sound limit on this phone like the ipods.
    I found this out one nite with a set of really good earphones had volume up as high as goes and was listening to hardcore :p
    When i took earphones out could hear hissing noise in my ears for the whole night!!!

Ok thank you for your advice, I have a good pair of sennheiser earphones which will do the trick! When I get my hero I will see whether I should keep my ipod touch or not.

I just hate carrying 2 devices on me, will just have to wait and see.

Cheers again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Hi.
    I got an o2 prepay HTC Desire but i want to use it with my own postpay simclear o2 sim card (for which i already have a 250 mb data addon).
    In other words, i won't be using the prepay sim that came with the device.

Can anyone confirm the o2 postpay settings for android
    Are these definitely postpay:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64012614&postcount=1991

The reason i ask is i found this online as well:
    http://tech-n-life.com/index.php/2009/12/support-sunday-set-up-android-data-connection-settings-in-ireland-android/

Are the postpay and prepay settings for Android one and the same (because there just seems to be one set of settings for Android internet in this thread).

Lastly, if the postpay and prepay settings are indeed distinct, and you connected to the prepay APN, does this mean you would be charged at prepay rates even if you had a postpay sim in your phone.

I appreciate any help with this thanks- just don't want a massive bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

i dont know if there is already a thread for this so excuse me if i am repeating something that has already been posted. i am looking at a htc hero on ebay and it saws it is locked to meteor, how do i goo about unlocking it for three?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

mkennedy wrote: »
    Hi.
    I got an o2 prepay HTC Desire but i want to use it with my own postpay simclear o2 sim card (for which i already have a 250 mb data addon).
    In other words, i won't be using the prepay sim that came with the device.

Can anyone confirm the o2 postpay settings for android
    Are these definitely postpay:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64012614&postcount=1991

The reason i ask is i found this online as well:
    http://tech-n-life.com/index.php/2009/12/support-sunday-set-up-android-data-connection-settings-in-ireland-android/

Are the postpay and prepay settings for Android one and the same (because there just seems to be one set of settings for Android internet in this thread).

Lastly, if the postpay and prepay settings are indeed distinct, and you connected to the prepay APN, does this mean you would be charged at prepay rates even if you had a postpay sim in your phone.

I appreciate any help with this thanks- just don't want a massive bill.

the settings in the first link dont seem to work for me.....anybody get the o2 internet settings for the hero?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

neacy69 wrote: »
    the settings in the first link dont seem to work for me.....anybody get the o2 internet settings for the hero?
    Internet
    Name: O2 ISP
    APN: Internet

MMS
    Name: O2 MMS
    APN: wap.dol.ie
    Proxy : 62.40.32.40
    Port: 8080
    Username: user
    Password: user
    Server: http://www.o2.ie
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.ie:8002
    proxy address: 62.40.32.40
    proxy port: 8080

These work perfect for me.Anything not mentioned is default/blank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Internet
    Name: O2 ISP
    APN: Internet

MMS
    Name: O2 MMS
    APN: wap.dol.ie
    Proxy : 62.40.32.40
    Port: 8080
    Username: user
    Password: user
    Server: http://www.o2.ie
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.ie:8002
    proxy address: 62.40.32.40
    proxy port: 8080

These work perfect for me.Anything not mentioned is default/blank

ok seems to be working ok now....it kept saying the mobile network connection has failed...

i had to log press on the APN after I saved the details to activatee (set as default maybe?) and its been working grand ever since...Cheers lads!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I picked up the hero yesterday and am very happy with it.Is there a widget to keep track of calls and texts sent per month..?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Meteor (or your network) should provide such a service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cabrales

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thats the Sprint Hero. Its been release for a few days now.

HTC as stated that the Euro Hero will not get an update till at least June.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I reckon the current Villain rom is gonna be better then the official HTC release, and Villan is still improving..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Lukker- wrote: »
    I reckon the current Villain rom is gonna be better then the official HTC release, and Villan is still improving..

Its quite possible we'll have a dev rom with Froyo before HTC update 1.5.
    FroyoVillain COMING SOON! See Villainrom.co.UK for more info! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Went to check that Froyovillain and there was Villain 6.00 on offer

Downloaded and LOVE it, much faster, more responsive. So far everything has worked (the mms is a given issue at the moment but has a solution)

Contacts sync'd down perfectly, APN saved and didnt disappear, typing is more responsive and hasnt locked up on me yet. Mobile Internet isnt randomly turning itself on (on 5.5 my mobile internet would turn itself back on even though i had turned it off, it was killing my battery)

If your on 5.5 get an update going, its a massive improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Went to check that Froyovillain and there was Villain 6.00 on offer

Downloaded and LOVE it, much faster, more responsive. So far everything has worked (the mms is a given issue at the moment but has a solution)

Contacts sync'd down perfectly, APN saved and didnt disappear, typing is more responsive and hasnt locked up on me yet. Mobile Internet isnt randomly turning itself on (on 5.5 my mobile internet would turn itself back on even though i had turned it off, it was killing my battery)

If your on 5.5 get an update going, its a massive improvement

Everyone is raving about VR6, but I have had more trouble with it than with any v5 Villain ROM. Did a full wipe. With the first installation of it, it had trouble reading the SD card at times. Theres no problem with the card. Re-installed it and now the screen has a purple tone on it at times. I use it to stream music to the car radio via bluetooth. It is a major step back from v5 in this area, the music briefly stops every 10 seconds on average. After playing for a while it refuses to send the music to the car radio even after turning BT on and off and restarting the music app.
    It definitely is faster though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 slainte1

Hi all. Some of you may find this guide useful.
    http://www.techcredo.com/android/android-tips-tricks-and-tutorials

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Meteor's Hero isn't sim locked so yes if you were to buy that you can stick your 3 sim in and away you go.

Can somebody confirm this as Id like to buy one and stick my o2 sim in. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

Slunk wrote: »
    Can somebody confirm this as Id like to buy one and stick my o2 sim in. Thanks

It's true as far as I know, mine wasn't locked anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

kc66 wrote: »
    Everyone is raving about VR6, but I have had more trouble with it than with any v5 Villain ROM. Did a full wipe. With the first installation of it, it had trouble reading the SD card at times. Theres no problem with the card. Re-installed it and now the screen has a purple tone on it at times. I use it to stream music to the car radio via bluetooth. It is a major step back from v5 in this area, the music briefly stops every 10 seconds on average. After playing for a while it refuses to send the music to the car radio even after turning BT on and off and restarting the music app.
    It definitely is faster though.

The purple tone on the lock screen seems to be caused by it underclocking the CPU too much. You can download Overclocking widget in the market place and set the values there, try to raise the minimum above 250.
    I had mine at about 250 when sleeping and it suffered from a lack of response when waking up and purple lock screens.
    I now let mine sleep at around 350.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Is there any alarm App that will work when the phone is off...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Updated to villian rom 6.2. Running great except I can't get MMS to work.
    I've tried MMSZAP, changing the script via SDK and also Gscript - none work.
    Just wondering has anyone on Meteor got MMS to work on any of the villian roms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Dub13 wrote: »
    Is there any alarm App that will work when the phone is off...?

I use Klaxon, just make sure you don't have Task Killer running.

Advertisement