Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indigo blocking gofree.indigo.ie email to Ireland only???

• 10-11-2003 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

Odd, this.

I thought for the last few weeks that my gofree.indigo.ie email wasnt working properly. I have two addresses on these old free servers, using two different email programs so I dont think its anything I'm doing wrong.

So this is what happens.

I can send emails to anywhere in Ireland.
    I can receive emails from anywhere in the world.
    I cannot send emails to anywhere outside of Ireland, I get this message if I try.

"The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '*****@****.**'. Subject '***********', Account: 'pop.indigo.ie', Server: 'smtp.indigo.ie', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 553, Error Number: 0x800CCC79"

Now it never used to do this, so I'm wondering if they've blocked external email on their free service so people will be forced to move to their subscription service. Indigo are owned by Eircom thesedays so I wouldnt be surprised if they're trying something.

Anyone else using gofree.indigo.ie as their email server having these problems??? Or has anyone heard anything about this before????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Who are you dialled up with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Shouldve said. ;)

Dialling up with UTVipXL.

I could see how they Indigo might block all outgoing emails if the user is dialled up with another ISP, but only ones outside of the country seems a little silly to me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Have you tried changing your outgoing mail setting to smtp.utvinternet.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It may be the way they've set it up. Sounds weird.

Try get yourself a freeware SMTP server for your machine. That way you can send mail from any address to any address :)

(Moving to Nets/Comms)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

as was said, try changing your outgoing server to match the dial up

eg: if you have an eircom dial up account your outgoing mail server should be mail1.eircom.net

After the recent spate of spam attacks and mail bombs (and open relays) the majority of ISPs will not allow routing of emails from other servers (ie: Indigo will not accept outgoing mails from an eircom dial up account).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Stern

I know this is an old thread, but I'm trying to help out my folks who still use an indigo address. Over the years they have subscribed to a tonne of newsletters and mailing lists and a lot of them require you to send an email to them with 'unsubscribe' in the subject line to remove your subscription.

However I'm getting the error outlined above:

An error occurred while sending the mail. The mail server responded: sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1). Please check the message recipients and try again.

Same problem as above, I can send mail to .ie emails but not anywhere else.

Here are my smtp settings: (in thunderbird)

Description: <blank>
    Server Name: smtp.indigo.ie
    Port: 25
    Default: 25
    Use name and password: checked
    User Name: ****
    Use Secure connection: no

Their internet connection is currently provided by Groupnet (http://sms53.com/) but they'll shortly be switching to Eircom broadband as that has finally become available here.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated,

Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Stern wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm trying to help out my folks who still use an indigo address. Over the years they have subscribed to a tonne of newsletters and mailing lists and a lot of them require you to send an email to them with 'unsubscribe' in the subject line to remove your subscription.

However I'm getting the error outlined above:

An error occurred while sending the mail. The mail server responded: sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1). Please check the message recipients and try again.

Same problem as above, I can send mail to .ie emails but not anywhere else.

Here are my smtp settings: (in thunderbird)

Description: <blank>
    Server Name: smtp.indigo.ie
    Port: 25
    Default: 25
    Use name and password: checked
    User Name: ****
    Use Secure connection: no

Their internet connection is currently provided by Groupnet (http://sms53.com/) but they'll shortly be switching to Eircom broadband as that has finally become available here.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated,

Thanks

You can't use Indigo's SMTP server from outside Eircom's network.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Stern

So once I switch to Eircom broadband it should work fine again?

Also, do you have a source for what you said? I don't disbelieve you, I'm just curious about it.

Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Stern wrote: »
    So once I switch to Eircom broadband it should work fine again?

Also, do you have a source for what you said? I don't disbelieve you, I'm just curious about it.

Thanks

It'll work once your on an Eircom IP address. It's been that way for many years.

Advertisement