Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

They're Alive!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Noveight wrote: »
    Chilean Miners; The Sequel.

They were like 33 days down there or something? Mad stuff that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

heres the full video from when they were found https://www.facebook.com/percen.malaysia/videos/1714898415290288/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Absolutely brilliant news. I'm delighted to hear it. Their families must be so happy. Lovely to get some good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Thailand Minors

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Thailand Minors
    Yeah there's something you probably don't want in your Google history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hopefully the waters recede soon and they can walk out.
    Either they wait 9 months, or learn to dive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Reported that they are going to be teached how to dive to get out. May take a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

It takes a special kind of person to go cave diving like that and rescue someone.for me personally i would die with the claustrophobia.terrifying.well done to all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

vicwatson wrote: »

Yea but weren't they in contact with the people/rescuers above from day one? Look at the darkness and dampness these kids were in with no contact from day one.

Great that they've been found but awful to hear plans of four months food etc. On the RTE timeline, it said it was like swimming through cold coffee so it will be extreme cave diving from complete amateurs to survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It won't be 4 months. That is the absolute maximum if they have to wait for the monsoon to finish & the cave to drain. They will establish a chain system to bring them out but they won't rush it as, for now, they are safe. No point in taking unnecessary risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/soccer-team-lost-for-10-days-in-a-thai-cave-are-found-alive-officials-announce/news-story/da0bff78febaccb82a46964163dfd69b

Good account of what faces them, and their location.

I was struck by how calm the children were. They have been in total pitch black with probably only a snack or two to share over the past 9 days. Imagine the utter darkness of it. They have had to drink some form of water in the dark, and that water looked very brown and silty to me. They have had to arrange toileting for a large group, including quite young ones, in the complete dark! They have been trapped there probably convinced that they were eventually going to die, and yet somehow they seemed so calm and even polite in that first video when they were found. No hysteria or shouting or scrabbling towards the divers. Amazing kids.

Caves are one of my greatest fears, all that heavy press of rock above ones head. Claustrophic to imagine it. And now these kids have to be taught how to dive and navigate narrow clefts, and move for quite a long distance under water! It's like an epic unfolding.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I was just thinking about how they rescued the Chilean miners and if they could use a similar drilling method to drain some of the flooded parts of the cave system to make the rescue easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I was just thinking about how they rescued the Chilean miners and if they could use a similar drilling method to drain some of the flooded parts of the cave system to make the rescue easier?

They're pumping already

dG6ld0G.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Malayalam wrote: »
    https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/soccer-team-lost-for-10-days-in-a-thai-cave-are-found-alive-officials-announce/news-story/da0bff78febaccb82a46964163dfd69b

Good account of what faces them, and their location.

I was struck by how calm the children were. They have been in total pitch black with probably only a snack or two to share over the past 9 days. Imagine the utter darkness of it. They have had to drink some form of water in the dark, and that water looked very brown and silty to me. They have had to arrange toileting for a large group, including quite young ones, in the complete dark! They have been trapped there probably convinced that they were eventually going to die, and yet somehow they seemed so calm and even polite in that first video when they were found. No hysteria or shouting or scrabbling towards the divers. Amazing kids.

Caves are one of my greatest fears, all that heavy press of rock above ones head. Claustrophic to imagine it. And now these kids have to be taught how to dive and navigate narrow clefts, and move for quite a long distance under water! It's like an epic unfolding.

You should watch "Diving into the unknown" it's a documentary on Netflix about Finnish cave divers who mount their own expedition to recover their friends bodies - amazing doc!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,148 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

vicwatson wrote: »

these lads might yet be down there longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Ah this story would just break and then remend your heart
    Imagine seeing your sons smiling face on the phone after thinking he was dead for over a week..just a beautiful story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Was wondering last night if the 2 divers that made it through would have left them some torches, I'd say just that would have been a huge boost in morale.

This is going to be an interesting story to follow. I really hope that now they've all been found alive they'll also all get out alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

wexie wrote: »
    Was wondering last night if the 2 divers that made it through would have left them some torches, I'd say just that would have been a huge boost in morale.

This is going to be an interesting story to follow. I really hope that now they've all been found alive they'll also all get out alive.

I would be surprised if the divers had carried extra equipment with them on the search dives given the tight spaces they had to squeeze through. Any equipment they had on them, such as torches, would presumably be needed by them for safety during the return leg of their dive. The most important thing would be to make sure they made it back safely to report where the kids were.

After ten days trapped in complete darkness with no food I'd imagine they were feeling pretty hopeless before they spotted torch lights approching in the water.
    I imagine it was a huge moral boost for the kids just to know that they were not forgotten and help was going to be on its way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Injun Joe didn't make it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Does anyone know what de f**k those guys were doing going so far into a cave system when they were obviously not kitted out for that kind of thing and had apparently ignored warning signs about not entering the caves during the rainy season.
    Although it's not a priority now, that 'coach' is going to get a very rough time of it when they are eventually rescued.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That's great to see they have been found alive. Hopefully they can get them out now but it is not going to be easy.
    I wonder what hollywood studio will pick up on this and will it be made into a movie or a series. Personally myself I think a series would be better. Actually I even have a title for either.

Hope this ends well and they all get out safe first do. They said on the news today since they have not eaten for 10 days that they were not sure if they could have food now. They are going to have to start eating again a small bit at a time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's lots of coverage of this on the BBC news right now, as the two divers that found them were actually unpaid volunteers from the British Cave Rescue Council (http://www.caverescue.org.uk/). One is a retired fireman the other an IT consultant in normal life.

The Thai authorities have appealed for donations of full-face scuba diving masks small enough to fit the boys in order to reduce the risk of their breathing apparatus coming loose as they travel through flooded passageways.

The group is also in a weak state after days without food.

Thai officials told reporters on Tuesday that seven divers, including a doctor and a nurse, were with the group inside the cave. They were providing health checks and treatment, and keeping the boys entertained.

"They have been fed with easy-to-digest, high-energy food with vitamins and minerals, under the supervision of a doctor," Rear Admiral Apagorn Youkonggaew, head of the Thai navy's special forces, told reporters.

"No need to worry. We will look after them as well as we can. We will bring them out safely."

The admiral said the idea that the boys would have to remain in the cave system for four months was very much a worst-case scenario.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44692813

That must have been a weird job description...''Are you a doctor or a nurse, who is also an expert cave diver, prepared to negotiate hazardous underwater conditions, narrow passages, utter darkness, silt and an uncertain forecast of heavy rains that may drastically complicate matters, and willing to take up a residential position alongside 12 children and a coach trapped in a cave, in order to supply medical care and entertainment?'' There can't have been that many with not only the qualifications but also the mindset and yet they found them! :) Anyways there is talk of prosecuting the coach, but I feel sorry for him too, he is only a young chap, and probably just thought at the time it would be great craic for the birthday boy. He has also obviously been the one who has managed to keep them somehow organised and sane during this ordeal.

Anyways there is talk of prosecuting the coach, but I feel sorry for him too, he is only a young chap, and probably just thought at the time it would be great craic for the birthday boy. He has also obviously been the one who has managed to keep them somehow organised and sane during this ordeal.

That's the thing, whatever about having gone in there in the first place (and I don't know if they did or didn't ignore any warnings) he managed to keep them all together, alive and in reasonably good spirits from what I understand.

That's no small feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Doesn't seem likely they will try to scuba them out, sounds far too dangerous, with the monsoon rains returning in a few days and likely to be relentless as the full monsoon arrives, they could be stuck down there for 3-4 months potentially. From the video of the divers finding them it doesn't look like their spot is at all comfortable or suitable to be a temporary home for such a long period of time, it looked like a small shelf up a steep slope with the water below. It's great they have been found alive, but this could well just be the start of their ordeal.

Okay, this is really evil of me....hehe...cameras in, and live-streamed reality show? Would have to be waaaay better than the stuff like Big Brother etc :p They could raise advertising revenue that way to finance the whole operation (see how i justify my evil thoughts!) the country, nay! the whole world would be tuned in, glued to their seats, the cameras outside on the beefy rescue teams activities, go-pros on their helmets, the tension at HQ, spats between generals, Mamas cooking meals to be delivered in.....

Sorry...evil, I know

anyways, back to having floaty, benign thoughts :)

Okay, this is really evil of me....hehe...cameras in, and live-streamed reality show? Would have to be waaaay better than the stuff like Big Brother etc :p They could raise advertising revenue that way to finance the whole operation (see how i justify my evil thoughts!) the country, nay! the whole world would be tuned in, glued to their seats, the cameras outside on the beefy rescue teams activities, go-pros on their helmets, the tension at HQ, spats between generals, Mamas cooking meals to be delivered in.....

Sorry...evil, I know

anyways, back to having floaty, benign thoughts :)

I don't even think that's evil to be honest. The biggest drawback of that might be that it could encourage copycats though.

• Advertisement

wexie wrote: »
    I don't even think that's evil to be honest. The biggest drawback of that might be that it could encourage copycats though.

Hmmmm, sheesh, I never think of the downsides. True for ya. Silly me.

Advertisement