Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weightlifting, Powerlifting and Strongman clubs in Ireland

• 31-03-2013 7:35pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Props to Imnothim for the suggesting this, it seems so obvious now! Basically this thread is going to contain the names and addresses of Powerlifting and weightlifting clubs in Ireland. Also included will be locations which facilitate the slow and fast lifts. I'm gonna start by linking out to the Weightlifting google map.

Clicky

This will need to be updated soon as some new clubs have affiliated recently but if anyone has any suggestions for weightlifting-friendly gyms then post here and the map can be edited.

I was going to do a list for the powerlifting/strongman clubs but I think a google map would be better. If people could post the following information I'll update the map as it comes in: Click here for the map

Club/gym name
    affiliated federation
    equipment in club
    rates
    training times
    Contact details
    credit card number and pin :P
    "pay as you go"?

Now, I'm not going to include crossfit gyms in this unless they allow people to do their own training in the lifts and facilitate recreational and competitive strength sports athletes.

Imma add this to the useful threads list.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 markoduibhir

are there any gyms/powerlifting clubs in the kildare area?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭divito06

Any update with donegal area?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Where in Kildare are you?

divito06 wrote: »
    Any update with donegal area?

Man, Donegal looks to be a desert as far as lifting is concerned :(. There is a Crossfit in Derry but I don't know if you have to do crossfit or if you can do your own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭divito06

Edwardius wrote: »
    Man, Donegal looks to be a desert as far as lifting is concerned :(. There is a Crossfit in Derry but I don't know if you have to do crossfit or if you can do your own thing.

Im joining DT Fitness jn donegal town. They have everything I need for power lifting. There onpy open a week. Cheers anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 BoscoBox

Anyone know of any Power lifting gyms or coaches in the Meath area?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 powerpete

some more listings of powerlifting clubs/gyms (IDFPA) for your info
    http://www.idfpa.net/#!college-powerlifting/c21ac

powerpete wrote: »
    some more listings of powerlifting clubs/gyms (IDFPA) for your info
    http://www.idfpa.net/#!college-powerlifting/c21ac

Good stuff Pete, the IDFPA site is looking really well!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 powerpete

Cheers! We've been doing a lot of work on it this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

FYI - The "Limerick Powerlifting Club" train out of Eastway Fitness Club in Eastway Business Park, Limerick, headed up by IPO President Shane Brodie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Great idea!
    Will try to add to the list! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Look up The performance and fitness academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chris91

Hi, do you know of any of any strongman training in the Louth area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

For specific powerlifting are there any clubs Dublin south side (dunlaoghaire and surrounding)

Or do Olympic weightlifting clubs like east coast barbell/Capital strength SCR cover the bases?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

I don't think ECB 'do' powerlifting, could be wrong though.

Almost certain Capital Strength don't. Not having a bench there makes it difficult.

Give them a ring though to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

There's a couple of power racks in ECB but I don't know if there's any powerlifters training there. It would be best to drop in and have a chat or as ScubaSte said give them a ring.

If you would consider the city centre Hercs would be more ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Ill be going over in October to take a look and maybe sign up.
    I'm sure I can get everything I need from those clubs tho. Ive already been to capitol strength, but it's location isnt great for me. Good for a once in a while session but 3+ times a week it would be a pain.

Ill not be training to compete, so it won't be a huge draw back to train at those clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 harryleech

Edwardius wrote: »
    Props to Imnothim for the suggesting this, it seems so obvious now! Basically this thread is going to contain the names and addresses of Powerlifting and weightlifting clubs in Ireland. Also included will be locations which facilitate the slow and fast lifts. I'm gonna start by linking out to the Weightlifting google map.

Clicky

This will need to be updated soon as some new clubs have affiliated recently but if anyone has any suggestions for weightlifting-friendly gyms then post here and the map can be edited.

I was going to do a list for the powerlifting/strongman clubs but I think a google map would be better. If people could post the following information I'll update the map as it comes in: Click here for the map

Club/gym name
    affiliated federation
    equipment in club
    rates
    training times
    Contact details
    credit card number and pin :P
    "pay as you go"?

Now, I'm not going to include crossfit gyms in this unless they allow people to do their own training in the lifts and facilitate recreational and competitive strength sports athletes.

Imma add this to the useful threads list.

Edwardius, if you could add our info that would be great.

Gym Name: Capital Strength
    Affiliation: Weightlifting Ireland
    Equipment:

* Four 3m x 3m custom-built weightlifting platforms
    * 4 x men's 20kg weightlifting bars, 3 x women's 15kg weightlifting bars
    * A tonne of bumper plates, all from an IWF certified company
    * Glute Ham Raise
    * 3 x squat racks
    * Jerk blocks (second set ordered)
    * Pulling blocks
    * Wall bars
    * Boxer dog

Rates: €200 per quarter/€680 per year/€45 per month for students

Drop-in: By request

Training times: 12.00 to 9.00 Mon/Wed/Fri
    10.30 to 9.00 Tues/Thurs
    10.00 to 4.00 Saturday

Contact details: defygravity.ie
    defygravityireland at gmail.com

Cheers,

Harry

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FlapJackNI

Any one know of any clubs in Derry or anywhere close by?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

Sorry to drag up an old thread but is there any clubs in dublin west area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

ec18 wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but is there any clubs in dublin west area?

Blanchardstown? Animal Barbell are starting a Powerlifting club in October. Drop in and ask Vaidas, the owner. He has all of Texas bars, eleiko plates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

CWF wrote: »
    Blanchardstown? Animal Barbell are starting a Powerlifting club in October. Drop in and ask Vaidas, the owner. He has all of Texas bars, eleiko plates etc.

Was looking somewhere more in city west area if possible. Thanks for the info i'll keep that place in mind ;)

Advertisement