Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Money ??

• 11-11-2007 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Hi..
    Anyone out there making money on small holding? We have 40 acres and I've taken over most of the running.. What are folks finding is giving good returns??
    Cheers
    bam

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

what kind of enterprise have you , is it dairying , sheep , drystock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Small suckler herd, 10x half-breed charlois cows and a pure-breed bull. I would consider something else but am unsure what else would generate a decent return.... I also work !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭emaherx

bbam wrote: »
    I also work !!

You Mean you also work Else Where. :D it's bad enough that the non Farming Comunity think we are Lazy Feckers without statements like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭emaherx

Its Very hard to make money on a small Holding like that. Unless you have another enterprise that can be run from the Farm.

What exactly is your other employment? (could that be implemented on the farm?)
    Maybe you are in an area that you could consider running an open/Educational Farm?
    Grow a couple of Telecoms Masts (neigbours might not like that one)
    Strike oil (if only)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

OK... Slip up on the job comment, who cares what the non farming community think ?? Like any other job including farming, its only work if you don't enjoy it :rolleyes:
    I'll prob keep as as a part time thing to retire onto..
    Cheers
    bam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

If you have good road access lots of guys are looking for storage for surplus builders kit,vintage cars ,boats,harleys,jet skis ,40 foot containers can be used as temporary storage.i even know a guy who has plastic tunnels rented out to a couple of guys with rally cars.dont forget diy stables for the horsey set.minimum outlay with none of the grief from the dept of ag,council,fisheries,epa and god knows who else.convert the outhouses to flats and your rolling in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

you get paid so much per acre to get forestry planted I think, start growing some organic veg/fruit, maybe plant a few fruit trees and sell the fruit in the future, I agree with the DIY livery stables as well, even 5 stables wouldn't cost much to build and a sand arena and some fencing for the horses turn-out paddocks, a hay shed & tack room and maybe a WC, could bring in about 300ish per week. I think you might need insurance for people riding on your land though.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

'Tis hard to say.

holding is not very small, but stil it is nt big enough to make a living from. Teh market for small pedigree breeders seems to be gone as most suckler farmers are now part time and are not buying bulls, but mainly using AI to et a better return.

you could simply not put in any stock, join reps and become a grass farmer, that is selling the grass for silage or hay. all inputs are supplied by the purchaser and you have no risk ,as long as you can sell the grass at the time. You have no animals to look after, no worries about animals straying, lower insurance premiums, nothing to do at all really, except cash the cheque.

Advertisement