Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mink Survey

Options
  • 09-08-2007 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

The American mink is a semi-aquatic member of the weasel family (Family Mustelidae) found in association with lake, river and coastline habitat. The mink is an alien species to Ireland, being native to the U.S. and Canada. They became established and spread throughout Ireland after deliberate and accidental releases from fur farms. The mink is considered by many to be a pest, because of, its predation on ground-nesting bird species and losses of poultry, pheasant poults and damage to farmed fish. This questionnaire is part of a three year study underway at N.U.I., Galway on 'The Control of Mink in Ireland'. The questionnaire aims to determine the extent of mink control and assess the damage caused by the mink in Ireland. The questionnaire is targeted at people who may be controlling mink populations and those who have suffered economic loss through mink predation. If anyone with any additional information or comments, they would be welcome and appreciated.
    Simply follow this link to complete the online questionnaire

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Z6bFq_2b_2bHuMYsLd4W9M2f5w_3d_3d

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you contact the Forest Service- they may give you the names of staff members who have been attacked by mink. I am personally aware of 2 foresters with severed finger tendons from mink bites (one in Co. Clare, one in Limerick).

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Minkresearch

Will do, thanks for that. Any more responses from those involved in Forestry would be very useful and much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Minkresearch

Thanks to everyone who has already completed the questionnaire. I hope to stop taking new responses to the questionnaire survey at the end of the month, your contribution would be greatly appreciated. I'll continue to collect carcasses until the end of April, if you contact me I'll make arrangements to collect them from you whenever is convenient for you.

Advertisement