Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

A load of bugs about it seems from flu to coughs/chest infection to vomiting bugs.

Keep her low hr is all I can advise, and take rest when you need it.

Better to recover now than prolong.

Hope you're over it soon too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

So last week was a bit of a write off, not much done and nothing of any note. Gave me a good chance to look at what I've been doing up to now and try and come up with a few changes, more on that later.

Sunday was when I got back to training. Feeling better, still not 100% but as close as I was going to get. Went down to a duathlon in Rosslare, had been planned for a while so decided I may as well head down. 3.5km run, 26km cycle, 3.5km run. The gf's dad done it in Feb and there wasn't a huge turnout so wasn't expecting too many people but would give me a good idea of how my training had been going. When we got there there was a big turnout from waterford tri club, lot of new TT bikes and fellas who looked serious. Got racked and set up, left the shoes off the bike, we had to run out over a gravel path and didn't fancy it in my socks.

Run 1 approx, 11.30

All times are approx, no official times for the race so going off rough watch times. Started out fast, 1st km in around 3.25, suffered a bit after this but kept the next two around 3.40 and tried to just concentrate on the run. Didn't push it as fast as I could so pleased with the time.

Bike approx 42 mins

Built into the bike rather than try push it hard from the start. Seemed to work for me and I made good time. Really pushed on the last 10km coming it at around 14.30mins and was feeling pretty good. Gained a good bit on the group in front but never enough to get close.

Run 2 approx 14 mins

Was suffering on this and my left calf started to cramp, pulled it back and took it handy for the first 1km. when we got to the turn around point I could see the lad behind me and I had around 200m on him. He looked like he was working hard so I upped the pace a bit and pushed on for the last bit. Pleased to see the pace faster than usual.

Overall around 1.09 for the race and 7th place with a relay team winning it.

Pretty pleased with the race. Raced a bit smarter than usual and even though I didn't come into it in ideal form it went well. Felt I was lacking a bit of sharpness overall but that's to be expected after missing a week of training. One thing I noticed on the bike was I seemed to have to move around a bit to try and use the same muscles I do on the turbo, different set up on the two bikes. My thinking now is to put the race bike back on the turbo and train on that. Should be training on what I'm racing on anyway.

Monday 10th March

So during my week off I noticed I'm not making any use really of my mornings before work. I tend to sleep in and then stay up later because I can't sleep. This is going to stop. Today was the first day of it. Been a while since I've been in the pool so was in the water at 7.15 this morning. Bit of a warm up and then into a bit of pull and paddle work. Some drills after this and then some fast 50's. Altogether 3.2km swam and even though I'm not nearly as swim fit as I should be I felt ok.

Back home and breakfast. Bit of a break and then onto the turbo. first hour was a bit of a warm up then into main set of 4 sets of 8 sprints for 20 seconds with 10 seconds recovery. 5 mins recovery between sets. Struggled a bit with these, power down a lot on the last time I done them. Could still feel the race in the legs. Did keep them consistent though so pleased with that. After this was 30 mins focusing on endurance.

So this week is going to be a bit of a test week to see where I am. FTP test on Wednesday and a park run 5km on Saturday. Hoping for a decent improvement in the FTP test. For the 5km I'm hoping to go under 19 mins, and I think I can. PB up to now is 19.12. No swim test this week, I've really been letting the swim drift and this has to stop. I'm aiming to be in the pool at least 3 times a week, 4 if possible over the next few weeks to build back up my fitness.

So after all that there is still a little bit left. Because I'm going to put the race bike on the turbo it means I have a few bits and pieces I'll be selling and thought I'd put it up here first to see if there is any interest.So here's the list,

HED aerolab frame, carbon stays and forks, aluminium frame. Includes headset, profile design handlebars (not great but will do the job, look like they are carbon too), tt brake levers, shimano shifters, and a FSA carbon crank (could probably use a new bottom bracket). Bike only ever really been used on the turbo by me. Looking for around 280 euro. Suit someone around 5''8.

Garmin cadence sensor, again only used on turbo. Looking for 30 euro.

Shimano spd sl pedals, entry level shimano pedals. Only used on turbo. 25 euro.

ISM Timetrial saddle. Black with green back. 80 euro.

Shimano r106 shoes. Size 42, only used 5/6 times and then I got a present of mavics. Decent shoes, 60 euro.

Ladies prologo saddle. Brand new never used, came off a brand new bike. 30 euro.

Ultegra front derailleur, on a bike with a double on it. Hasn't been used outside on over 2 years. Braze on. 20 euro

Ultegra rear derailleur, 8 speed. Again not used outside in over 2 years. 20 euro.

(Might be able to do a deal if anyone wants to buy the derailleurs, saddle and bike)

Turbo wheel, cheap enough rim and hub, 8 speed cassette, continental turbo tyre. 60 euro.

Blue seventy sprint wetsuit. Entry level. Used approx 5 times. Size SMT, looking for 80 euro.

Blue seventy axis wetsuit, top end suit. Used approx 10 times. Great for the heavier legged swimmer. Size SM looking for 180 euro.

(Will need to double check sizes on suits)

All gear is well cared for. And so ends possibly my longest ever post on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

joey100 wrote: »
    ISM Timetrial saddle. Black with green back. 80 euro.

I'm a little tempted by this....i've been keeping my eye out for one and the colour will work too :)

Tues 11th March

So another early morning in the pool. Mix of drills, pull, paddle and kick board work. Enjoying being in the pool again, been a while since I actually looked forward to the pool. Felt good in the water but still off where I need to be.

Cycle in and out of work.

Evening was a run. Bit of a warm up then into 12 X 1 mins hard, 1 min easy. Pace was kept at 3.30 for the hard ones and was able to keep it consistently there with 2/3 coming in below. Felt good during this and was only the last 1/2 where it started to get tough. Done a bit of a cool down and had to turn around early because of a pain in my groin. Was still a bit tender after so tomorrow's early recovery run will be cancelled to see how it is. FTP test tomorrow and want to do well in that, race bike has been put on the turbo so we will see how I get on on it.

Wed 12th March

Early morning run cancelled because of the sore groin. Evening was to be an FTP test on the bike. Had set up the bike the previous evening and seemed to be working ok. Until about 10 mins in when the wheel kept slipping and locking against the frame. After a lot of cursing I had to move the limit screws on the dropouts, one seemed to be in further than the other and meant that the test was a write off. Postponed to Thurs morning instead of my long run.

Thurs 13th March

So finally got to do my FTP test. Wasn't feeling particularly strong on the bike but gave it a good go. 5 min clearing effort came in around 10% higher than the 20 min test. Felt I paced it well and apart from a bit of a wandering mind around 14 mins in was fairly consistently paced. Pleased with an 8% increase and reckon there is more to come.

After this had a bit of time so went to the pool. Got in 6 X 400m's, felt good in the water, shoulders a bit tired but good to be in again.

On a positive my groin seems to be grand now, I'll do a light run tomorrow morning with a few strides thrown in to see how it is. If it holds up well I'll be doing the park run on Saturday morning and aiming for sub 19 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice improvements on the FTP :cool:

Were your legs not toast for the 400s after the FTP test?

Cheers pgibbo, legs were pretty tired alright. Of the 6 only 2 were done kicking, the rest I used pull buoy. Was nothing fast today either, just about getting into the water more.

Fri 14th March

Early morning run to test the groin and see if I would be able for the park run on Sat. Legs felt ok, bit sluggish and heavy but groin was grand so the race is on.

Cycle in and out of work. Meant to be swimming tonight but got called to an emergency meeting in work so meant I had to give it a miss.

Sat 15th March

Up early for only my 2nd ever stand alone 5km race. Bit of wind but didn't think it would be too bad. Good crowd down and the park run and even though it wasn't ideal doing this after a FTP test on Thursday I was still confident I could lower my PB of 19.12. First km went well, into a tough wind but got shelter behind the people in front of me and was feeling good. Was only when we turned into the wind at the second lap and I had no shelter that I realised just how strong the wind was. 4km was by far the toughest and showed in the splits after. Crossed the line in 18.48, so a 24 second PB and I know I can go faster than I did today. Splits were 3.46 (into the wind), 3.37, 3.46,4.07 (straight into the wind) and a 3.32. Splits a bit all over the place mainly because of the wind and I know on a better day I could get a lot closer to 18.30. Still pretty pleased though.

After this was an easy 26km cycle with the tri club's beginners. Nice to stretch out the legs after the run and was handy enough.

Now I'm just back from Base2Race after buying a Lemond Revolution Turbo, initial impressions are that it's much more realistic but also very loud! Good thing I'm out in the garage. Speed sensor should be arriving around Tuesday so once I get that I can start using it on Trainer road and hopefully get a realistic figure for my power.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Congrats on the PB!!! And the LeMond Revolution trainer does make some whooshing noise alright, but compared to the trainer I had been using it's not all that bad. ;)

Sunday 16th March

up early and out for a cycle. Bit windy but lovely day overall. Out to Howth, up from the Sutton side and down into Howth then turned and climbed from Howth back to Sutton. Spin out to Malahide then and then back up and down howth again from both sides. Good spin on the bike and enjoyed the climbing. Altogether 67km cycled.

Sunday evening was a recovery run, legs still feeling the 5km so just took it handy. Gf came along for the run too. 9km.

Monday 17th March

Another cycle up Howth, only from the Sutton side today though. Gf came along again, after Howth we headed to Malahide then onto Swords and home. 47km cycled.

Evening was a swim session. Usually work Monday evenings but with it being a bank holiday I had it off so went to a club swim session. Good session in the 50m pool. Had a lane to myself and everything. 1200m of pull buoy work then into 1000m concentrating on a 2 beat kick and the timing of hand entry too. Good session, much prefer swimming with other people than by myself. 2.9km swam.

Bit of a chat with the coach after the race on Sat and we are both pleased with where I am at the moment. Just finishing my base phase now and starting to enter build phase so would hope to see more improvements in my run time. Have to make sure I'm recovering properly so some of the added sessions will be pulled back now to make sure I can hit the planned sessions.

Since I got a new turbo too it means I will have to do another FTP test this week, just to make sure the sessions are at the right levels. Will only be the 8 minute test though so recovery after it should be quicker. My first ever bike race is this Saturday (the Lucan GP) so want to be fairly fresh for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Congrats on the PB. Nice running :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Congrats Joey

Tuesday 18th March

Skipped the swim after doing the club session the night before. Plan was for a tough run session in the evening. Bit of a warm up then into 2 X 4 mins, 90 second recovery inbetween, 4 X 2 mins 60 sec recovery, 8 X 1 min with 60 second recovery. These were tough enough, pace was kept fast for them all and there was no real letting off in pace. Only had the watch on time and pace when I was doing these and then done a bit of a cool down. Surprised to see just under 15km done, legs were tired but wasn't too bad. even though I found it tough to get out and do it turned out to be a good session.

Cycle in and out of work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Joey, I'll offer u €20 for the cadence sensor

Cheers G&R, sorry though most of the stuff is now sold. Can't seem to get back in to edit it, from memory the only things left are a ladies prologo saddle and a Tacx booster turbo.

Wed 19th March

cycle in and out of work. Still no sign of my speed sensor so was to be a turbo session without trainer road, first in a long time. Just an easy 1 hour and 10 mins spinning the legs. new turbo feels good, definitely much more realistic feel to it than my last turbo where it always felt you had to push hard to move it.

thurs 20th March

Long slow run before work, nothing fancy, had to be done on treadmill because of the weather and my god it was boring! 15.2km done. Speed sensor update: still no sign.

Fri 21st March

Cycle in and out of work, skipped the group swim session and done my won to try save my legs for the race on Saturday. good bit of pull buoy work and not much kicking. 2.55km altogether.

Sat 22nd March

The race that never was. Up early and out for the race, warm up went well, bike was resting against the car and fell over but thought nothing of it. Race started and rear derailleur wouldn't shift, had put itself into safe mode. couldn't get it out of it and the group was gone. First bike race over after around 300m, not a great start. but seems to be a pattern, 1st tri I had to stop and ly down and get someone from the crowd to stretch my calf on the run, first duathlon my back wheel seized up and wouldn't spin and now first bike race I got 300m's. Hopefully that's all my bad luck done.

Went home and done a 20min FTP test instead on my new trainer (lemond revolution). Pleased with how it went, think it gives a much more accurate reading, FTP is now around 194 watts, at 61 kg that gives me just over 3.1 watts per kg and something to build on. New 5 min, 10 min and 20 min records as well today.

Sunday 23 March

A session I had been looking forward to all week, my first tempo run. Plan was for 6km at around 4.05-4.10 pace. Nothing too taxing but a good workout. Got through the warm up and knew it was going to be tough, chest was tight and breathing a lot harder than it should of been. After around 3km I had to stop, heart was pounding and wasn't recovering at all. Feels like the start of a chest infection but hoping it's nothing too bad.

A pretty bad month so far overall, sick the first week, easy week run up to a bike race that never happend and now what looks like another sickness. Plan is for the next week or so to be easy stuff, nothing with high heart rates. Heading to Sardinia on the 3rd of April for a club training camp so want to be in good shape for that. At this stage just want to see the end of March and start fresh in April.

Monday 24th March

Hour focusing on endurance on the turbo. Heart rate a bit higher than usual for this effort but overall nothing too bad. chest feeling a lot better todya but pushed it towards the end of the session and heart rate shot up and took longer than usual to come down. More easy stuff rest of the week!

Tues 25th March

Skipped the planned bike session today only a cycle in and out of work.

Wed 26th March

1 hour turbo before work, kept easy enough. 4 min effort at 75-80% at the end and chest felt much better, starting to think I might have had it a few weeks now and only getting through it now.

Evening was an easy run, around 9km taken very easy. Chest not too bad again.

Thurs 27th March

Long slow run, 15km. Nothing fancy just long and slow.

Fri 28th March

so back to group swim session, had missed a few of these and swim fitness isn't where it should be so knew this was going to be tough. Few 50's to warm up all coming in on around 42 seconds then some 100's all coming in around 1.30's. Happy to see I still had the pace but was feeling it more than I should have been. Lots of drills then and for once I actually managed to lower my stroke count during these, normally I'm around 11/12 strokes managed to get it down to consistent enough 10. Some 100's then with the new stroke and changes and came in at around 1.25 for a decent effort, back to normal way we swim and came in at around 1.24 for alot more effort. going to try keep the changes and hold the stroke better.

Sat 29th March

Tri club cycle. Met with the club early for a spin. First group was a decent pace around Ashbourne and out to Garristown. Pace was kept consistent and while not spectacularly high it was kept up on the hillls and was very little change. Felt good during this, good spin. Hung around then for the beginner spin, another 25km at an easy pace with a sprint thrown in at the end. Cycle home then after. Altogether 93km done. Evening session was a slow run, 10km nothing fast.

Sunday 30th March

Sat wasn't a great set up day for the final club TT but need to be doing more consistent training. Was feeling ok about this one, bit longer than the others at 17km and a little bit of climbing. Set off well, after the race I thought I set off too fast but looking back it wasn't anything spectular. I hvae my watch set to 5km intervals on the bike, all 3 came in just below 8 mins so were I would expect it to be. Found it very tough though and once or twice thought I would just drop out. Time was 26.49 and 4th place, well behind the leader and 2nd place and 9 seconds behind third. bit disappointed with how it went, know I'm not 100% but don't think that the race should have hurt like that for that time. Really showed up a few weaknesses on the bike and gaev me some things to work on over the next few months.

Monday 31st March

Back to the turbo, session was to be 2 sets of 20 X 30 seconds at 130% and 30 seconds recovery, knew after the warm up that this wasn't going to happen today. Changed it to bit of a warm up then a 3 min at 90%, 4 mins, 5 mins, 4 mins and 3mins with 3 min recovery in between. Not too bad but legs were pretty tired after the end. At the end I threw in 8 X 15 second sprints with 45 second recoveries. Really felt these, heart rate still not recovering as quick as it should be so still getting over chest. Very tired legs by the end but a good alternative session.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

joey100 wrote: »

I'm not 100% but don't think that the race should have hurt like that for that time. Really showed up a few weaknesses on the bike and gave me some things to work on over the next few months.

heart rate still not recovering as quick as it should be so still getting over chest.

What weaknesses do you think you have?

You're still not 100% and it's early in the season - just file it away as a bad day at the office and come back stronger for next time. You'll have to improve a lot to get 1st place back though ;)

• Advertisement

Still is early in the season and still have a bit of work to do. Weaknesses from yesterday would be ability to hold a pace, struggled with what should have been a decent pace, the splits were not super fast but really struggled. Other two would be pacing again struggled to keep a consistent speed and was varying a good bit. Other thing would be just a lack of power in the legs! Need a bit more strength in the legs, probably some big gear work. Have a tendancy to keep the gears light and never really push a big gear (turbo or on the road, this is something Paddy has told me to work on).

I realise it's early in the season and I wasn't fully right for it, was just hoping for a better time. Week in the hillls in Sardinia should sort that out though!

Tues 1st April

Up early for swim before work. Not too bad a session, swim fitness still a bit off but will be making an extra effort to get to the pool so should see a good improvement in the next few weeks.

Cycle in and out of work.

Evening session was a run, bit of a warm up then into 4 X 2 mins with 45 seconds recovery, 2 X 4 mins with 90 seconds recovery and then another 4 X 2 mins. These were all to be done around 5km pace but was a few seconds slower. Kept the pace constant though and was happy enough with how the session went. Cool down then. Altogether 11.8km ran.

Wed 2nd April

Nothing yet but on a half day from work so will get an hour and a half done on the turbo when I get home. Plan is for approx 6 intervals at FTP ranging from 6-8mins with 3 mnis recovery.

Then tomorrow is off to sunny Sardinia for a weeks training. Main focus will be on the bike but will be at least 3 swims and will try to run as well most days. Plan is for one hard day on the bike followed by an easier day. Hard days averaging around 110-110km with 2200m of climbing and the easy days around 80km with 1000m of climbing. Looking forward to it and a good bunch of lads going so should be good craic.

So back from Sardinia and it was great. Got loads of cycling done and a bit of running and swimming but that was always going to happen. Cycled every day and got around 540km done for the week with around 7500m climbing, not bad considering we only got 20km done the day we got there and the last day was spent travelling. Weather was great, nice and warm, great roads and good hills. Even managed to get a category 1 climb in on the last day, legs were feeling it that day but still got up it ok.

Day I got back I just took it easy, was up from 3 in the morning so day was spent taking it easy. Back to it today though with a 75.5km cycle, out to Howth onto Malahide and then back to Howth and home. Legs feeling bit tired but nothing too bad.

Sat 12th April

Leading a tri club bike session, decent group and done around 48km. Wind was a bit of a pain coming back to the NAC but overall a decent spin. No one showed up for the beginner spin afterwards so was a handy enough morning.

Run in the evening, 10km easy. Legs very stiff and heavy but good to get back running again.

sun 13th April

Big family do on so took the day off, back to it properly from tomorrow.

Mon 14th April

Steady run before work, 14.8km at about 4.55 min pace. Nothing fast but legs coming back around and starting to feel normal again. Bit of a change to the weeks set up for the next few weeks, club are running a cycle session in the park on Tuesday evenings form 7 so will move my cycles to Tues and Thurs and do my runs on Mon and Wed.

Mon 14th April Evening

Double booking in work meant I got out earlier than planned. Decided to go along to the club swim session. Good session with some proper fast swimmers there now. Main set was 4 X 50' flat out with 200m pull between sets. Tough set but good and hard. Done around 2500m.

Tues 15th April

Doing a first aid course over next few days so early morning training is gone for now. Evening session was a cycle with the club in the park. Tough session, one of the lads is really good on the bike so the session was spent hanging onto him. Overall 42km done in around 1.16, including and easy enough 5 at the start and an easy 3km to cool done. Tough session.

Wed 16th April

Run session with the club. Bit of a warm up then into 12 X 300m with 100m recovery. Another tough session, probably set off a bit fast and was suffering towards the end even though the times didn't drift too much. Need more of these sessions where I can chase people.

Thurs 17th April

Only time for a turbo session today, first aid course and work in the evening meant I had a 2 hour window to get it done. Tough enough session, 20 mins focusing on endurance then into 8 mins at 90%, 5 mins recovery, 8 mins at 95%, 5 mins recovery then another 8 mins at 90% and 21 focusing on endurance. Good session, and legs even though they were tired still felt strong enough.

Fri 18th April

Swim session in the afternoon, been a while since I've been in the pool and swimming has been slipping. 400m warm up then 2 X (100m pull, 100m kick, 100m swim). Then was 4 X 100 off 2.00, 4 X 100 off 1.55, 4 X 100 off 1.50. Because I hadn't been in the pool in a while thought I would start with these times to see how I got on. Pretty much all of them came in on 1.32 for moderate enough effort so pleased with it. Bit of a cool down after for around 2650m done.

Evening was a run, 2 warm up then in the next 8 kilometres 4 where done at tempo pace. Legs felt good, again bit tired but breathing was good and got through them ok. 10km ran.

Sat 19th April

Handy enough day, 56km cycle with the club. Few pushes up some small hills but nothing major. Sunday is going to be my 2nd attempt at a bike race, Ras an Laois. Nice day for a cycle.

Sun 20th April

So my second attempt at my first bike race. Warm up went well and legs were feeling good. Set off at the front of the group and kept myself up there as long as I could. It was to be a handy enough circuit, we were told there was a tight left turn then into 1km of a climb at 12km in. Got to a tight left turn at around 11.5km and a few lads made a jump so went with them, there push didn't last long but I thought I may as well keep it going. Turns out I had timed it wrong and there was another left turn into the proper climb. Was passed by the group here and dropped the pace too much and was nearly off the back. Got back on and again moved back up, much safer and easier at the front. Held a good position on the climb on the 2nd lap, legs were feeling good again, so was looking to make a jump with around 2km to go. IT wasn't long before this that the whole group spread across the road and I couldn't get through at all. Made a few attempts but settled in behind a few people and stayed in the group to the finish. Finished in the main bunch feeling pretty good. Good experience and enjoyable. Lots learned from it, took too many turns at the front on the first lap and pushed it too hard on the climb first time around. Definitely felt I had the legs to do well and would have been nice to see how I would have got on if I could have gotten around the bunch. But that's how the race goes and is one reason I prefer triathlon to bike racing, bike racing can be hugely affected by what the people in front of you do, not always the strongest person winning. Will still be doing more bike racing though, was a great workout and enjoyed it. Race was around 53km with a 11.5km warm up.

Mon 21st April

So no rest after the race, straight back to training. Legs didn't feel too bad, bit heavy but not sore. A nice early-ish morning long run. 16.1km done, legs felt ok, happy to see easy pace in around the 4.50's. Only bad thing was when I went over on my ankle a bit. Sore when I turn my foot in but ok to walk and run on and put pressure on it.

Evening was a club swim session in the 50m pool. Warm up of 4 X 100m breathing every 3 first 100, 5 2nd 100m, 3 3rd 100 and 7 4th 100. Then into 8 X 50m split into first 25m sprint 25 easy with 15 seconds recovery between. Main set of 16 X 100m holding the same time throughout. Done these off 2 mins and came in comfortably enough on 1.37 for the lot. Bit of a cool down then. Pleased with how my swimming is going at the moment, still a bit off being swim fit but times are good and should come down over the next few weeks.

Tues 22nd April

Cycle planned with the tri club in the evening, the usual Tuesday fast laps in the park. Didn't happen though, on the drive out it started to lash rain, still raining when we got there so decided to swap it for a turbo session instead. Tough enough turbo session to, done on tired legs. First 1hour was 2 X 5 min intervals, first at 88% next at 94%, 2 mins rest between. then the same again but 6 min intervals then same again but 7 min intervals. After this was 10 mins a bit focusing on endurance then 3 mins at above 95%, 2mins recovery, 4 mins at above 95% 2 mins recovery and then 4.5 mins at above 95% and easy until the end. A tough session overall but pleased with how it went. Settled into a nice rhythm with a bit of a lower cadence than usual and got through them all ok. Pleased to have done this session with tired legs and will look at raising the FTP now over the next few days.

• Advertisement

Wed 23rd April

Club running session. Trying to make more of an effort to get to these. 3km warm up them a fast 1400m to try tire the legs a bit, kept the pace at 3.36 min kilometres for this. Then was main set of 10 X 400m keeping the pace consistent. Started off at 1.20 for the 400m and thought I was going to suffer as this would be at the faster end of what I can do. Managed to keep the pace the same and even for the last 4 got faster coming in around 1.18 for them. Legs were tired afterwards but was a good session. Probably the fastest 400m's I've ever ran and managed to keep the same pace throughout.

Thurs 24th April

Turbo session before work. Legs were still tired after the run session so knew this would be a tough session. Wasn't too bad in the end, 4 X 15 min intervals between 70-80% of FTP with 2 min recoveries between. Tough enough but legs felt ok once they got going, heart rate was nice and steady too. 1 hour 15 mins turbo session.

Advertisement