Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

help in identifying building

Options
  • 26-09-2013 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

We have been asked if we can throw some light on what, and where this building is. We think it is in Ireland and it is going to be either a convent or a monastery, possible Waterford or Cork.

Does anyone have any ideas please?
    Thanks
    Mags

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

The building does look like a convent.

You could look through the 'buildings of ireland' website run by the National inventory of architectural heritage. Their database can be searched by county and by building type and has lots of photos.

Sorry I cant post proper links at the minute as I'm posting this from my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

+1 on a convent, per the statue above the door. Photo C 1960's judging by the abortion of an extension on the front and the TV antennae (love the guy on the roof). Try archiseek.com also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Another possibility is one of the industrial schools/reformatories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Gee Bag wrote: »
    The building does look like a convent.

You could look through the 'buildings of ireland' website run by the National inventory of architectural heritage. Their database can be searched by county and by building type and has lots of photos.

Sorry I cant post proper links at the minute as I'm posting this from my phone.

The building might well be demolished by now and not show up on that database. Worth a try all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A couple of things;

The cross on top of the building above the entrance; prod or cat?

The statue on top of the doorway; if you have the original, see if you can read what saint it is for. Could be for mary, but it could be for a specific saint that would narrow our search.

The crosses all over the building; have not seen that a lot on catholic buildings.

The prefab out front, and the extensions up top look like possible "modern" updates from the 70's/80's; keep that in mind when looking at any databases.

The white box to the left of the window to the left of the front door looks like a plaque. Again, if you have the original picture, you may be able to see something with a magnifying glass?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

The crosses look like they are built into the fabric of the building, with differently coloured stone like the window lintels. That alone would make it distinctive.
    I don't think there enough definition in the pic to get the finer details.

Without a doubt it's a building for a Catholic religious congregation, more than likely a convent.

Without a doubt it's a building for a Catholic religious congregation, more than likely a convent.

After post no.3 , taking a guess to the next level, a Dominican convent, specifically built to order. Nor would I rule out it being in England, many of the Irish orders bought former 'big houses' rather than build.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

After post no.3 , taking a guess to the next level, a Dominican convent, specifically built to order. Nor would I rule out it being in England, many of the Irish orders bought former 'big houses' rather than build.

It might be in England, but the chances of that are very slim indeed. Roman Catholicism has been the 'poor child' of Christianity here since the Reformation, and no doubt you will recall that two people claiming kingship of England fought the Battle of the Boyne over that matter. Roman Catholicism and it adherents has been since then, and still is in some areas, deeply distrusted by the mainly non-Catholic practicing Christian population, and such an overtly 'idolotrous' structure as that building is a very unlikely addition to the landscape here.

Have a look at one of the main RC shrines here in UK, at Walsingham [Our Lady of Walsingham] and you'll see what I mean. A place of pilgrimage for hundreds of years, http://www.walsingham.org.uk/romancatholic/the-roman-catholic-national-shrine-walsingham/ there is nothing there of the ornate style we see in the OP's image.

So I would not place it in the English landscape. It will be interesting to know where it really is, though.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Roman Catholicism has been the 'poor child' of Christianity here since the Reformation, ........... and such an overtly 'idolotrous' structure as that building is a very unlikely addition to the landscape here.
    tac

This little school is not exactly covert...;) Unless North Yorkshire is too far north to count for an idolotrous shrine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

This little school is not exactly covert...;) Unless North Yorkshire is too far north to count for an idolotrous shrine.

This ittle school - Ampleforth, is not blatently covered with built-in crosses and shrines filled with 'idolotrous' statuary.

Anyhow, you boys get on with identifying your building, being Jewish I have no axe to throw into the hat here. :D

tac

• Advertisement
Advertisement