Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question regarding source material on the Gallowglass

Options
  • 12-09-2013 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

It's said that at some, if not most of the Catholic McFaddens of Co. Donegal are descended from Scottish Gallowglass who came over between the 13th and 15th centuries. This seems to be considered fact. I don't doubt it, but I haven't been able to find any pre-19th century sources for it. Any ideas on where to find said sources, or at least who to ask for more information?

To this point, the earliest mention of the family I've found in Donegal is seven men on the 1609 Pardon Lists following O'Doherty's Rebellion. There doesn't appear to be any mention in the Annals of the Four Masters. Other than the occasional name or reference, I can't seem to find any real research published on them. That strikes me as odd, considering they are a fairly well-known Donegal family. I can't help but wonder if they are totally separate from any Scottish McFadyens and are possibly a late-developing sept of one of the better-documented Gallowglass clans. Just speculation there.

Advertisement