Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insuring a right hand car in poland can it be done

• 18-07-2013 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭

hi all i was just wondering if its possible to insure a right hand drive car in poland
    i currently have a 99 golf with high mileage and need a new car as i do a lot of driving
    the car itself is worth nothing here but i was thinking of bringing it to poland
    where i can use it when over there on holidays visiting the wifes family

i no id probably have to pay vrt,, but that i wont mindas i cant see it been to much
    but it wouldnt pay to have to change the steering rack etc as that would be pricey

or would it be even possible to leave it on irish plates and insure with a polish company

regards david

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

An interesting question which is a bit iffy. From the research ive done, ive found the Polish dont seem to be too fond of RHD cars on their roads. I dont think you can register a RHD car there (I think theres a european court case about this going on), But ive heard you can insure a RHD car. Now you would need to keep it road legal in regards to the NCT as i dont think you can do their own version of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

snaps wrote: »
    An interesting question which is a bit iffy. From the research ive done, ive found the Polish dont seem to be too fond of RHD cars on their roads. I dont think you can register a RHD car there (I think theres a european court case about this going on), But ive heard you can insure a RHD car. Now you would need to keep it road legal in regards to the NCT as i dont think you can do their own version of it.

thanks for the info snaps i see what ya mean about the nct
    saying that if i could register it there then i could put it through the polish version of an nct

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

daithi55 wrote: »
    thanks for the info snaps i see what ya mean about the nct
    saying that if i could register it there then i could put it through the polish version of an nct

Surely the Polish NCT (???) would require a left-hand-drive. Seems like you are going to a lot of hassle to bring a car over for part-time use.

Polish red tape is a pain in the ass. Unless you speak Polish, the other half is going to have to do all the paperwork, chasing, meeting bureaucrats, etc.... Do you really want to listen to her complain? ? not worth it IMO

con1982 wrote: »
    Surely the Polish NCT (???) would require a left-hand-drive. Seems like you are going to a lot of hassle to bring a car over for part-time use.

Polish red tape is a pain in the ass. Unless you speak Polish, the other half is going to have to do all the paperwork, chasing, meeting bureaucrats, etc.... Do you really want to listen to her complain? ? not worth it IMO

hence why im asking can it be done
    and it is worth the hassle once its not to excessive
    a 99 tdi golf sells for around 2000 euro there
    there only so much polish country life ya can hack (drinking beer and vodka that is lol)
    the public transport takes forever so having a car there is very handy if ya ask me specially with kids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

If you could register RHS driven cars in Poland there would be loads of them on the streets. Unfortunately the red tape currently blocks RHS cars being registered and put through Polish Inspection Check (NCT).

There's separate discussion boards on the RHS cars called "english cars" at www.angliki.info
    The only way to have a RHS car registered is to convert it to LHS, there's plenty threads there covering the area (with photos, look for "przekładki"). Some cars are easy (and thus cheap) to convert others are PITA. A skilled car mechanic could get your car "road legal" with all paperwork in a week.

No issues having the car insured with the Polish insurance company. Few years ago worked with the chap in Dublin who drove English-registered car with Polish insurance on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

beazee wrote: »
    No issues having the car insured with the Polish insurance company. Few years ago worked with the chap in Dublin who drove English-registered car with Polish insurance on it.

That's not entirely true.
    While many Polish insurance companies will insure RHD car (third party), but this cover is really only valid for 1 month.
    Even if you keep policy after that, it's worthless as in case of an accident, they won't pay out.

Generally speaking, only way to have RHD car in Poland at the moment is to have it registered in Ireland and insured in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 derekohara

CiniO wrote: »
    That's not entirely true.
    While many Polish insurance companies will insure RHD car (third party), but this cover is really only valid for 1 month.
    Even if you keep policy after that, it's worthless as in case of an accident, they won't pay out.

Generally speaking, only way to have RHD car in Poland at the moment is to have it registered in Ireland and insured in Ireland.

I was just wondering if I can insure my RHD Irish reg car on the polish border and what do I need with me to get it insured (what documents etc)? I only need the insurance for 1 month as I will be flying out of poland the day I get it and a month later I'll be flying back to take my car back to Belarus!! Having major problems at the minute trying to get information about this and I am due to fly out next Wednesday!!

derekohara wrote: »
    I was just wondering if I can insure my RHD Irish reg car on the polish border and what do I need with me to get it insured (what documents etc)? I only need the insurance for 1 month as I will be flying out of poland the day I get it and a month later I'll be flying back to take my car back to Belarus!! Having major problems at the minute trying to get information about this and I am due to fly out next Wednesday!!

seems to have changed http://en.polishexpress.co.uk/right-hand-drive-insurance-hits-uk-bought-cars/

hi all i was just wondering if its possible to insure a right hand drive car in poland
    i currently have a 99 golf with high mileage and need a new car as i do a lot of driving
    the car itself is worth nothing here but i was thinking of bringing it to poland
    where i can use it when over there on holidays visiting the wifes family

i no id probably have to pay vrt,, but that i wont mindas i cant see it been to much
    but it wouldnt pay to have to change the steering rack etc as that would be pricey

or would it be even possible to leave it on irish plates and insure with a polish company

regards david

Hello David. I just want to know if you managed to get insurance in Poland in the end that time and if so what documents did you need to submit? I am due to go to Poland from Belarus with my Irish car (expired Irish insurance!!) next Wednesday so a quick answer would be much appreciated. Cheers

i didnt bother after.. legislation was only brought in after i had sold the car on.. would of been a nice run around for poland when we are there.. but getting insurance at the time was an issue

• Advertisement

i didnt bother after.. legislation was only brought in after i had sold the car on.. would of been a nice run around for poland when we are there.. but getting insurance at the time was an issue

Cheers for getting back so quick. Does that new legislation allow me to get insurance on my Irish car now do you know?

Cheers for getting back so quick. Does that new legislation allow me to get insurance on my Irish car now do you know?

you might need to be a resident or at least have an address.. you could have documents sent to.. would it not be easier rent a car.. if its short term

you also need winter tires there now this time of year

Hi Derekohara.

I just had my Irish registered car insured in Poland for 30 days with Polish insurer (yesterday) with Compensa.
    However legality of the whole thing is questionable, and to be honest I wouldn't like to be involved in an accident, as this might be lots of hassle.
    Many insurers will refuse to provide such cover. Some will, but you can't be really sure how good this cover will be until you need it.
    Valid roadworthiness test (in case of Irish car NCT) is a requirement.

There definitely is a thing called "border insurance" which you can buy for 30 days as person coming from Belarus (outside EU), but I'm not sure if this option still applies, if your car is Irish registered (so within the EU).

you also need winter tires there now this time of year

Winter tyres are not legal requirement in Poland, and currently it's 8 degrees, so they'd be completely useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

CiniO wrote: »
    Winter tyres are not legal requirement in Poland, and currently it's 8 degrees, so they'd be completely useless.

Cinio, did you get insurance with Irish plates still on it or has it been reregistered

With Irish plates on it.
    But this is temporary 30 days cover, which is meant to cover me for those 30 days in which time I should do all formalities to reregiater the car in Poland. It wont be possible to extended it for another 30 days IF I dont re register.
    Also they wanted to see valid NCT before they issued a policy.

Advertisement