27-02-2021, 18:54   #181
Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
Bubble is bursting. Rolex has sent the secret signal to the rose gold YM owners first clearly.
Damn

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C3C9FAC7-8B9F-4B9F-986E-A761C4B0D3EB.jpeg (1.87 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (407.7 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by Wibbs; 27-02-2021 at 19:31.
Advertisement
27-02-2021, 19:36   #182
Wibbs
Wibbed for your pleasure.

That is a very very nice watch T. Traditional, but with a lot of modernity in the execution and made from an actual precious metal, but still understated, "sporty" and "chic". For me that's the most luxurious Rollie there is. Sure you have the bejewelled Daytonas and the like, but for me they're like comparing Monica Bellucci and some trout pout instagram "model" with more filters than a municipal water treatment plant.
(2) thanks from:
27-02-2021, 19:52   #183
893bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Damn

It’s ok. Market bottomed and is on the way back up. It Rolex remember!

Lovely watch. I like this version, a little small, but I like it a lot. If paying retail I would have plumbed for the rose Daytona personally.
27-02-2021, 20:01   #184
893bet

Well on the way to that Patek at retail also! Them not so in demand Rolex are the ones they want to sell.
27-02-2021, 20:05   #185
Thirdfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
...and some trout pout instagram "model" with more filters than a municipal water treatment plant.
You've got a very good understanding of Instagram influencers/models there Wibbs - does MrsWibbs know?

...Oh and I have to use Instagram for the Sólás stuff - if you look at my recommendations it's all watches and cat videos
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-02-2021, 20:11   #186
Fitz II
Palm Fronds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdfox View Post
You've got a very good understanding of Instagram influencers/models there Wibbs - does MrsWibbs know?

...Oh and I have to use Instagram for the Sólás stuff - if you look at my recommendations it's all watches and cat videos
Tell me about it, you search for pussy one time and they hound you.
(4) thanks from:
27-02-2021, 20:18   #187
Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
It’s ok. Market bottomed and is on the way back up. It Rolex remember!

Lovely watch. I like this version, a little small, but I like it a lot. If paying retail I would have plumbed for the rose Daytona personally.
Phew! you had me worried there for a minute.

I tried on a 40mm too and of the two it was the worse fit. its about a mil longer lug to lug from bb58 i picked up too and thats nearly at my the edge of my wrists. I've lost a tonne of weight the past few months so watches look bigger on my wrists now than they did.

I considered a Daytona briefly, but i've always wanted one of these more. Daytona would be on my list to have at some point though.
(4) thanks from:
27-02-2021, 20:33   #188
Wibbs
Wibbed for your pleasure.

Love the handset on the Tudors.

Quote:
I've lost a tonne of weight the past few months
Going on mates of mine you must be one of the few.

My wish list recent ebay "find" - 1913 18 jewel top grade Longines in a Borgel case but without pinset, using a fancy negative set all in one crown. Rare as rocking horse poop and only thought to have been patented in 1915 and even then were very rare as they were 3 pounds dearer when 3 pounds meant something dammit! - was found by other feckers. Threw in a snipe of 600 quid with only two bidders and the fecker went for 700 sterlings, add in duty nowadays... TBH I'd have been happy at a final hammer of 4-500, but 700 is a bit too much IMHO. Considering Tavannes Submarines the "first true waterproof watch" and all that go for 4-500 and they're more important historically. Still, with my gra for Longines... *manly tear*

Ah well. Funny enough I've always had way more luck with low ball bids. If I think a watch is "worth" 1000 and I fire in 1200, no chance, but if I fire in 300 on the same watch... My Longines Ultronic diver was pretty much exactly that. Even then they were hitting over a grand, yet I got it for 280.
Thanks from:
28-02-2021, 00:24   #189
darragh o meara

Quote:
Phew! you had me worried there for a minute.

I tried on a 40mm too and of the two it was the worse fit. its about a mil longer lug to lug from bb58 i picked up too and thats nearly at my the edge of my wrists. I've lost a tonne of weight the past few months so watches look bigger on my wrists now than they did.

I considered a Daytona briefly, but i've always wanted one of these more. Daytona would be on my list to have at some point though.
Did you recently pick up the Tudor? I’m contemplating picking one up for my birthday and was gonna go used but the prices are close enough to retail. I wanted to ask if you bought it new was there much of a waiting period between order and collection?

I had hoped to call in and put a deposit down on one late last year but with Covid and all that crack I didn’t get near a jewellers
Advertisement
28-02-2021, 00:41   #190
Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by darragh o meara View Post
Did you recently pick up the Tudor? I’m contemplating picking one up for my birthday and was gonna go used but the prices are close enough to retail. I wanted to ask if you bought it new was there much of a waiting period between order and collection?

I had hoped to call in and put a deposit down on one late last year but with Covid and all that crack I didn’t get near a jewellers

I bought them both today. I actually got a better deal on that than a second hand one I was considering. There was no waiting on that one, spoke to Weirs in Monday and got it today.

I’m not too sure about the black, I know they had one there but I wasn’t interested in two black dial watches anyway. They’ll take a deposit over the phone though and can deliver it to you if you decide to go ahead.

It’s a great, versatile watch in either colour though and you won’t lose a tonne on it if you decide to move it on.
(4) thanks from:
28-02-2021, 01:12   #191
darragh o meara

Quote:
I bought them both today. I actually got a better deal on that than a second hand one I was considering. There was no waiting on that one, spoke to Weirs in Monday and got it today.

I’m not too sure about the black, I know they had one there but I wasn’t interested in two black dial watches anyway. They’ll take a deposit over the phone though and can deliver it to you if you decide to go ahead.

It’s a great, versatile watch in either colour though and you won’t lose a tonne on it if you decide to move it on.
Great, thanks for the quick reply. I was worried I wouldn’t be able to get one in time so that has put my mind somewhat at ease I’ll give them a call Monday and see what they have in stock.

Do you mind me asking, did you find them ok to deal with in regards to a little bit of discount? When I tried them on early last year the salesman did offer me a few quid off a BB58 but that was face to face, I’m not sure how they are over the phone.
28-02-2021, 09:04   #192
893bet

Given that Time was buying a 25k gold Rolex at the same time I would expect a little movement on the BB58!

I would be interested to know if they offer wiggle room as a stand-alone purchase on the BB58.

Also I wouldn’t think that buying a 3k Tudor will suddenly give you access to a “hot Rolex”, especially from Weirs. I likely to even move the dial on there.

But that’s exactly what they want you think. Go second hand, save a few quid and let the ADs rot is my opinion at this stage.
(3) thanks from:
28-02-2021, 11:32   #193
Bluefoam

If you are going to buy a Rolex, do it because you want to wear it and enjoy it. If future value is your concern, stay clear.

There seems to be some superficial signs that access to Rolex is begining to relax and won't be rectified until they artificially limit supply to a greater extent.

Having said that, I do fancy a sub, but I don't buy watches to sell them.
(2) thanks from:
27-03-2021, 09:43   #194
893bet

I am eyeing up a Dornbluth and Sohn these days. A 99.1-M customised to my preferences interns of colour and finish. The options are endless interms of customisation. They don’t do enough to sell that IMO and I have had to ask a million questions to figure out what I want and what they can do. They have in the post to me a couple of empty cases and straps to try for size which is a good service. I am a little concerned that they might be a little large for my preference so will have to try and be objective when they arrive.

Catalogue below to feed your eyes.

https://www.dornblueth.com/catalog/D...Inhalt-min.pdf
(5) thanks from:
27-03-2021, 10:25   #195
Thirdfox

Lovely read! My lawyer's eye is twitching seeing their timeline go from 1999 to 2016 to 2010 (pg 19, 22, 23 etc) where they mention how much of in-house movement finishing they do - presumably they mean 2020? Or they probably should put the 2010 in the timeline before 2016 (or is this some sort of German cultural thing I don't understand?)

Edit: I get it now - it's not a timeline - but a sliding scale to indicate how much of inhouse manual work they do on the movement - needed my morning coffee - so the fact that the 2016 comes after the 99 but before the 2010 makes sense now since the 2010 has closer to 100% inhouse work done.

The other thing I noted was after giving such a beautiful look into their watch processes it was kinda jarring to see them going with genuine leather rather than full grain on their straps - not a big deal since straps can be swapped out - but it would be nicer to see them use full grain at their price point so people could get the same excellence with their straps (that presumably have their signed buckles etc.) rather than fiddle around with different straps and potentially trying to remove the signed buckle to add onto a 3rd party strap. Just seemed after they put in all that effort into the beautiful work into the watch to go a little lower in quality for strap seems strange - I can't imagine it's a profit incentive - is it that Geckota doesn't do full grain or perhaps they don't understand the difference between full grain and genuine leather? (I didn't until I started sourcing leather straps myself).

Last edited by Thirdfox; 27-03-2021 at 10:29.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion