Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First cut of the year

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Finally got the lawns done. Highest setting, looks like tomorrow is the last opportunity before the weather breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Got a nice double cut in today, third of the year, dropped down two heights from max, good growth the last two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Cut it Tuesday evening gone by, just levelled it off really, more moss than grass unfortunately. Would it be a good time to put on iron sulfate?

Depends on where you are, it's still pretty cold in many places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

GreeBo wrote:
    Depends on where you are, it's still pretty cold in many places.

Midlands, still pretty cold, mid April or so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Would it be a good time to put on iron sulfate?

Ideal

Midlands, still pretty cold, mid April or so?

I'd certainly wait until temps are up and your grass is growing, if you kill the moss before your grass is actively growing you are just inviting weeds as replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Small suburban garden, got 2nd cut on the front grass yesterday, didn't go near the back garden this time.

Still cutting on the highest setting.

Apart from the few cuts, I don't do anything else to the grass until the start of April. Then we're into aerate, scarify, feed and overseed about a month later if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

dfbemt wrote: »
    Small suburban garden, got 2nd cut on the front grass yesterday, didn't go near the back garden this time.

Still cutting on the highest setting.

Apart from the few cuts, I don't do anything else to the grass until the start of April. Then we're into aerate, scarify, feed and overseed about a month later if needed.

Do you wait until into May to overseed? Mind me asking roughly where you are? I'm in Cork and I had thought end March would be okay to overseed. Although the Met Eireann soil temp report has Cork down around 5 degrees so definitely too cold at the moment I think - needs to be able 10 at least I read?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

have yet to cut mine...lazy i hear you say....well it is cold out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

The cold spell definitely slowed down growth....Based on last week, I thought I would have to cut it twice before the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Gave my grass the its 2nd cut this year on Monday after putting off all weekend, shamed the neighbor into doing his( normally its the other way round) and he was out till 9pm doing it :D

Last year tried to let it grow wild, just keeping the edges( 2 mower widths) cut with the view of letting it turn to a wild garden mainly out of laziness, its a large area in front our house outside the garden wall that technically we dont own

• Registered Users Posts: 32,940 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got my 1st cut done maybe 10 days ago and was going to top it again the other day, but with the cold snap that was coming, decided to leave it.

You lazy so and so's!
    I've at least 5 cuts done AND a double pass with the verticutter and scarifier!

Though the cold has ground everything to a halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bedouin79

GreeBo wrote: »
    You lazy so and so's!

Excuse my ignorance what’s a verticutter

Bedouin79 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance what’s a verticutter

It cuts the grass with multiple vertical blades, helping to thicken it up and also aerates the soil while breaking up the thatch.

its an aerator then

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

fryup wrote: »
    its an aerator then

No, an aerator pulls plugs of soil/thatch grass from the lawn to allow air in. Leaving these plugs on the lawn to be picked up.

A scarifier rips out moss thatch and grass from the lawn. Usually about 8 blades. Leaving lots of material be collected. Fairly harsh on the lawn.

A verti cutter has a lot more blades than a scarifier that should not touch the soil. Rather the blades cut sideways facing grass shoots to let the grass stand tall and fill out. Think golf green or bowling lawn.

You lazy so and so's!

Thinking of scarifying today, do you think I should wait for warmer weather ?

Zardoz wrote: »
    Thinking of scarifying today, do you think I should wait for warmer weather ?

The grass will recover faster in warmer weather, but the date it recovers will be the same, if you know what I mean!

e.g.
    You could do it now and it would take a month to recover or you could do it in 2 weeks and it would take 2 weeks to recover.

Personally I would do it now (in fact I did it at the weekend as I have a multiyear thatch battle on my hands and dont want to go down the route of starting from scratch)

Your only issue might be that its too dry, I havent had proper rain in over a week.

• Advertisement

The grass will recover faster in warmer weather, but the date it recovers will be the same, if you know what I mean!

e.g.
    You could do it now and it would take a month to recover or you could do it in 2 weeks and it would take 2 weeks to recover.

Personally I would do it now (in fact I did it at the weekend as I have a multiyear thatch battle on my hands and dont want to go down the route of starting from scratch)

Your only issue might be that its too dry, I havent had proper rain in over a week.

Thanks.

Had a good few showers today so grass isn't too dry.

I aggravated my back recently so will have to put the scarifying back till the weekend, its very demanding on the back.

I wont go too hard at it as its alot better than it was this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

not done my 1st cut yet bees need something to eat in this cold weather

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

not done my 1st cut yet bees need something to eat in this cold weather

If you cut it short now, the daisys and dandelions will thrive, giving them plenty of food.
    Bees cant eat hayseed.

Thanks.

Had a good few showers today so grass isn't too dry.

I aggravated my back recently so will have to put the scarifying back till the weekend, its very demanding on the back.

I wont go too hard at it as its alot better than it was this time last year.

I'd 100% recommend getting an electric machine for this, I think mine was maybe €100 delivered from Germany, doing it manually on any size lawn is just painful.

97922.png
    this is an identical rebrand of mine from here for €160
    https://www.craigmoreonline.ie/draper-97922-230v-lawn-aerator-scarifier-380mm?gclid=Cj0KCQjw38-DBhDpARIsADJ3kjlLw8uafZsWjAy6oRyj9zd8broVIOLnnGQ7gTojfC1LlV8Z-CtQAl4aAr3lEALw_wcB

I'd 100% recommend getting an electric machine for this, I think mine was maybe €100 delivered from Germany, doing it manually on any size lawn is just painful.

I have an electric one like that, bought it in Aldi.
    Fine job it is, bag is useless though so I don't use it.

will an electric scarifier help with a moss laden lawn (2 tennis court size) or should i hire a petrol one for the day?

I have an electric one like that, bought it in Aldi.
    Fine job it is, bag is useless though so I don't use it.

Ah yeah, forget about the bags, I never use it, have 2 bungy cords keeping the back flap slightly open and then just rake and bag afterwards. I've toyed with using a blower but it literally takes hours.
    I also recommend going over with the mower after you have cleaned up, it will pick up loads more.

will an electric scarifier help with a moss laden lawn (2 tennis court size) or should i hire a petrol one for the day?

It will but you will have bushels of stuff to dispose of. Have to considered mobacter or similar to handle the moss? If you don't have a thatch problem then it will be an easier route and better for the lawn.

You'll buy an electric for the price of renting a petrol, though petrol are obviously handier as not tied to a cord.

doing my first cut today, wish me luck

• Advertisement

doing my first cut today, wish me luck

Thoughts & prayers

Advertisement