Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First cut of the year

• 21-02-2021 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just wondering when is the best time to start cutting the grass? I understand it's probably a bit early but is there usually a time of the year that people usually start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bedouin79

dave 27 wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering when is the best time to start cutting the grass? I understand it's probably a bit early but is there usually a time of the year that people usually start?

I’m itching to start.. but can’t rely on the Irish weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I cut mine today. But I give it a trim probably 1 a month over the winter. If the ground is firm enough to walk on I'll cut it, even its a bit wet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I cut mine today. But I give it a trim probably 1 a month over the winter. If the ground is firm enough to walk on I'll cut it, even its a bit wet

I was tempted today and then a light shower came so left the mower in the shed! The next week looks reasonably dry except Tuesday I think, so I'll probably do it next weekend. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Cut it last Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Next weekend is moving day! But I'll only do it a few times between now and mid March to knock it into some sort of shape and then leave it for the "yellow season" until sometime in May.

• Advertisement

Round paddy's day was the norm for me unless there was a warm winter and lots of growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭ratracer

At this time of the year, would the grass need to be cut before applying Zero or other type moss killer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Weather looking great for next weekend, warmish, dry and sunny from Friday.

I'll wait until Sunday afternoon and allow maximum drying time before 1st cut of the year.

Weather looks warm and dry next weekend. I still just give it the lightest of trims to tidy it in case we do get frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Have ta fecken fix the mower first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

dave 27 wrote: »

Did my first cut yesterday, essentially waiting for a decent dry spell (today should be good also), I generally have mower quite high off lawn and don't use box for first few cuts. Important to start when reasonably dry and mower high of lawn, basically a light hair cut approach or you'll rip lawn to shreds.

In mid March, I lower mower and use box in advance of yearly moss and weed treatment.

Obviously check mower, oil etc and I sharpen blades also

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

On heavy clay and at the moment the ground is saturated, so no chance until it dries out a bit. Made the mistake last year and left track marks in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Eldudeson

I cut mine yesterday (Sunday). The nice weather was too good to pass up.

I did leave it too long at the end of last season (solenoid went on the mower and only fixed it Saturday) so it's been just a bit too long over winter and annoying me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Gonna chance it today, lots of rain overnight and through tomorrow, Wednesday not looking great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

ratracer wrote: »
    At this time of the year, would the grass need to be cut before applying Zero or other type moss killer?

Its too early for moss killers, Usually its start of april for them , and yes you give it a cut just before you use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bedouin79

First cut done with the push mower, absolutely knackered from it. Mulched the lot looks and smells fantastic. Robot going out midweek, spring definitely in the air today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Bedouin79 wrote: »
    First cut done with the push mower, absolutely knackered from it. Mulched the lot looks and smells fantastic. Robot going out midweek, spring definitely in the air today.

Myself and my daughter saw 2 people knocking grass today.cutting fever must be catching

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Gorteen

First cut at highest level on ride-on mower. There were some uneven patches of growth that were driving me mad to look at over the winter. Looks much more uniform now.

So much moss, it isn't funny!!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Cut the lawns today, just a light trim.
    Spraying iron sulphate at the start of Dec and again at the start of Feb on bad areas has paid dividends, grass is nice and green and not much moss.
    Its great stuff to keep the moss in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Walking on my grass seems far too damp still, would like to cut but will leave it for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Got it cut on Sat afternoon. I think I have more moss than grass at this stage. Must tackle it this year.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Walking on my grass seems far too damp still, would like to cut but will leave it for now.

Yeah same here, even after a bright day its still damp and i know it wont cut well.

I’ve mine cut twice already, first time in mid Feb was at the highest setting to top it off and the week after was at the next lower level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭billyhead

Yeah same here, even after a bright day its still damp and i know it wont cut well.

Your better off waiting until April.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,017 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a neighbour with a ride on who cuts grass for most people round here. He turned up today and did the first cut, looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

I did mine at the highest setting on the petrol mower last sunday. While ground was dry and firm grass is still quite damp, and most ended up on me. Still it looks good now. The daisies and dandelions need space to get going.
    Temps have been good for growth most of the week.

Had to bite the bullet and give it a high cut yesterday as it was getting out of hand . Will wait till month end before putting moss killer and feed on it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭Xander10

I've done 2 high cuts, just to keep it tidy.

Last autumn was the first year I applied a moss treatment at that time of year(as opposed to spring/summer) and I can really see the benefit of it now with a nice green lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 a chuisle

First cut of the year yesterday. Love the grassy smell and it looks great. Wish I could go to the hairdressers too lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

I was tempted today to do the first cut but with the weather bad for the rest of the week I'll wait until I've a couple of sunny days, last thing I want is to cut it, have it start to grow and then can't grow it cos of it being too wet

Advertisement