Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Induction hob screeching

Options
  • 01-02-2021 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I am new to induction hobs and just got a new one (with very little research I should add).

Just started using it this week and I am a bit worried by the sound it makes on high power. Can those in the know check out the video I took and tell me if this is normal. Thanks

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7aCtLWwDuq1GbtDs9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah I'm pretty sure ours doesn't do that.

Is the pot stamped underneath as suitable for induction.

Also what size cable was used to feed the supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭TheHulk

listermint wrote: »
    Yeah I'm pretty sure ours doesn't do that.

Is the pot stamped underneath as suitable for induction.

Also what size cable was used to feed the supply.

Pot shouldn't be an issue, this is them: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00J7GVM9G?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Will have to check cable, but all seems to work fine

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭macsauce

Ours makes a noise a bit like that too. It only happens with a particular set of stainless steel pots and it’s worst when boiling water. It stops when you move the pot onto the centre of the “ring”. Also interested to know if others experience this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

I've had induction hobs for many years and they all do that. It's being caused by the larger stainless steel pot amplifying a small vibration a bit like a bell.

They're not totally silent, especially big bigger pots.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've had induction hobs for many years and they all do that. It's being caused by the larger stainless steel pot amplifying a small vibration a bit like a bell.

They're not totally silent, especially big bigger pots.

Mine doesn't make anything like that amount of noise. Even on the Power setting it only makes a barely audible him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

It depends on the shape and materials in the pot.

If you've a very large, thinner pot it just reverberates like a bell. The hob is inducing oscillating electrical currents in the bottom of the pot that can result in vibrations, particularly as the material comes up to temperature.

Effectively it's a bit like the way an induction coil on a speaker causes the diaphragm to vibrate when it interacts with the magnet, it's just a lot cruder as it's just an induction coil and a large pot.

The higher power settings will also tend to make that noisier.

If you try a thicker bottomed pot it will likely not make as much noise.

Suitable for induction doesn't mean much more than it heats on an induction hob i.e. it's made from ferrous metal.

If you look for example at Miele's website, they're selling pots that are designed not to be noisy. https://www.miele.ie/domestic/1862.htm?info=200018955-ZST

Also beware of some of the aluminium pots that have a coil of metal in the bottom of them to make them "induction compatible" as only that coil or plate will heat and you can get weirdly uneven cooking. A thick bottomed, flat stainless steel or cast iron pot / pan works best.

Advertisement