Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

I can see ECM rolling back a bit. I think it went a bit extreme. Hope im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Paso Fino wrote: »
    But will it snow in my location :P

Fingers crossed for even more nice looking charts in the coming days

It will snow 5.1 km up the road from you. :)

Gonzo wrote: »
    south Meath, half way between Navan and Blanchardstown.

North east offaly on kildare border. We got a foot id say.
    Wouldnt be miles away as the crow flies. Just the way the streamers line up

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

bazlers wrote: »
    I can see ECM rolling back a bit. I think it went a bit extreme. Hope im wrong.

I think after today's big upgrades a few downgrades are inevitable, hopefully nothing too major.

GFS Pub run is updating, what I would like to see is more of those mild outliers between February 5th and 11th going colder and the mean dipping down further. There are still a few GFS members not on board at all with this cold spell, we need them all onboard over the next few days.

As for the ECM somewhere between the GFS 12z and the ECM 12z would be fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

bazlers wrote: »
    North east offaly on kildare border. We got a foot id say.
    Wouldnt be miles away as the crow flies. Just the way the streamers line up

During the BFTE Dublin/Kildare all the way to Offally/Westmeath did very well, north and south of this area didn't do so great. The Shadows were quite cruel during BFTE with large areas of Wicklow, Wexford and Meath with little or no snow cover until Emma came along.

If we do get this cold spell from Saturday I hope the wind direction is a bit more forgiving and variable so more places get a decent shot at the streamers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The 18z isn't as good as the low blows up to our Southeast. Still bitter cold but goes to show a proper easterly is not set in stone.
    Lots can change, more runs needed before we can say this cold spell is a certainty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

The Shadows were quite cruel during BFTE with large areas of Wicklow, Wexford and Meath with little or no snow cover until Emma came along.

I dont know Gonzo, we had quite a fair bit of snow before emma arrived, we are not to far away from Lobinstown, i remember going for a walk and their was drifts in places that were waist high

As for whats ahead, if snow is not on the menu, i'll take sunny, cold and dry

@ 168 hrs heights evaporate to our North.
    I know I sound like a broken record but without proper heights to our North this cold spell can't sustain itself imo!!

The 18z isn't as good as the low blows up to our Southeast. Still bitter cold but goes to show a proper easterly is not set in stone.
    Lots can change, more runs needed before we can say this cold spell is a certainty

it's a definite downgrade, particularly for England and less snow for us too, the cold getting pushed back into Scotland as early as Monday/Tuesday. However until the runs are all completed we need to verify if this is a mild outlier before getting too worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

it's a definite downgrade, particularly for England and less snow for us too, the cold getting pushed back into Scotland as early as Monday/Tuesday. However until the runs are all completed we need to verify if this is a mild outlier before getting too worried.

Also, the initial cold is there. That's the priority as that's what's coming into more reliable forecasting timeframes

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

This is why I prefer N/Ne air streams. The cold air is not coming from thousands of miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

The BFTE was very dissapointing here in Meath too in terms of snow, we got about 4 or 5cm from it as we were under the IOM Shadow for the majority of it. Once Storm Emma arrived the snow just kept piling up even if there was snow melt going on throughout each day.

I live in Cavan along the meath border and we got buried in snow. +25cm before storm Emma which didn't give us anything other than strong winds. What part of Meath are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭pad199207

So glad I held onto that fence :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

If we're disappointed over this run then we really are in a good position. Should all be sorted by Wednesday evening, not every run is going to be perfect.

I've a feeling this is a mild outlier, it's quite different to the past few GFS runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

During the BFTE Dublin/Kildare all the way to Offally/Westmeath did very well, north and south of this area didn't do so great. The Shadows were quite cruel during BFTE with large areas of Wicklow, Wexford and Meath with little or no snow cover until Emma came along.

If we do get this cold spell from Saturday I hope the wind direction is a bit more forgiving and variable so more places get a decent shot at the streamers.

I don't think we had any snow at all here in Wexford before Emma came along if I remember it correctly. That all changed completely the night of March 1st however.

Not worried about the 18z. If the other models came towards that conclusion then I would take notice. Parallel is fairly ****e too though tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭highdef

I don't think we're likely to see scenes such as those in the attached video I made in 2018 in North Kildare, close to the Meath border.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Sesame St Bets Kermie.

We like the charts...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,620 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

highdef wrote: »
    I don't think we're likely to see scenes such as those in the attached video I made in 2018 in North Kildare, close to the Meath border.

Yeah - my folks live just outside Kill Village and they say it was even worse than the famous Dec 81' event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Yeah - my folks live just outside Kill Village and they say it was even worse than the famous Dec 81' event.

Moved to Kill after the 81/82 event only have pictures to remember it, I was too small. My folks sent me some great pictures from 2018. This will be tame, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Big ECM run incoming. Last two GFS runs were not good for exceptional cold. The low running up through eastern England choking off the supply of cold easterly winds and mixing in less cold air from southern Europe. Still could be
    a milder outlier. Not determinable for the next 24 to 36 hrs.

Even on the ukmo there is no Easterly just a southerly running jet dragging in very cold air into the mix.
    So cold and high risk of snow but as I said last night no decent heights to our North means burger and chips rather than fillet steak as ( Nick Sussex ) would say lol

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Further Outlook: Turning colder with northeast to east winds feeding in wintry showers at times and hard ground frosts can be expected at night.

Met.ie starting to change their outlook

I don't think we had any snow at all here in Wexford before Emma came along if I remember it correctly. That all changed completely the night of March 1st however.

Not worried about the 18z. If the other models came towards that conclusion then I would take notice. Parallel is fairly ****e too though tbf

On a direct easterly before Emma,south wexford was hit by streamers
    North of there the north Wales shadow came in meaning not enough fetch for the showers
    You need about 60kms of water for the cold wind to fetch enough warmer water to build showers ,the longer the fetch,the better
    So to guess possible local conditions, look at the exact wind direction
    A subtle change can make huge differences for that reason

Big ECM run incoming. Last two GFS runs were not good for exceptional cold. The low running up through eastern England choking off the supply of cold easterly winds and mixing in less cold air from southern Europe. Still could be
    a milder outlier. Not determinable for the next 24 to 36 hrs.
    ECMWF is a big choo choo All aboooooard ! -13 uppers approaching this day week

AuntySnow wrote: »
    ECMWF is a big choo choo All aboooooard ! -13 uppers approaching this day week

Yea exactly a week away. Its like an indiana jones movie to get to the holy grail of those -13s. Traps and pitfalls on the way. But it sure is entertaining and ive bought the ticket : )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Well il watch the Superbowl Sunday night with the curtain open Hopfully between the two of them there will be a little bit of entertainment :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

I think all Ill be looking at is frost.

Easterlies never bring nowt to Sligo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

This will let you see how up in the air things are at the moment still

https://twitter.com/Schafernaker/status/1356525512345141248?s=20

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement