Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to get Boron woodworm treatment in Ireland

• 19-06-2020 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭

I've been using this product to treat any new timber going into my house as there seems to be some degree of woodworm activity.

http://www.nvirol.co.uk/products/wood-treatments

I'd brought it from Amazon before and had it delivered via Parcel Motel in NI for a standard Uk shipping rate. It looks like anywhere in the UK is now charging a special rate for liquids to NI which pushes up the cost a lot. I can only find one place in Ireland selling it but it's very expensive compared to Uk.

Anybody know of any Irish Sellers of this or similar?

Boron is a natural anti woodworm and anti rot. I much prefer using it to the normal Permethrin based stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dathi

did you read the safety data sheet that accompanies this product

Most important adverse effects: Causes skin irritation. Causes serious eye irritation. May damage fertility

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

dathi wrote: »
    did you read the safety data sheet that accompanies this product

Most important adverse effects: Causes skin irritation. Causes serious eye irritation. May damage fertility

Thanks Dathi, I had a further look into it and I figure those warnings are from the fact it also contains Benzalkonium chloride. This has been linked to potential infertility but it's a very widespread chemical (Dettol, hand sanitizer, mouthwash).

I'd certainly be using gloves with this stuff but I do think it's a safer bet than the other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dathi

https://www.fishersci.com/shop/msdsproxy?productName=SB155100&productDescription=BORON

no its from the boron here is a data sheet for boron and water solution

dathi wrote: »
    no its from the boron here is a data sheet for boron and water solution

Thanks for that, it's good to be aware of. I'll be extra careful how and where I use this but I still prefer it to the permetherin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 julez23

hi , did you have any luck sourcing local boron based treatment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 shanhandy

Did any previous posters have luck sourcing a boron wood treatment? Preferably the powdered Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate salt that is branded in the US as ‘Tim-bor’. Or anything similar. I have large slabs of worm eaten sycamore and other stock to treat. Buying from overseas seems to be a prohibitively expensive option, any insight or direction here would be greatly appreciated.

Megaman, did you have any joy or find another solution?

Hi apologies for just seeing the questions to me now. I did find a supplier in Northern Ireland which was reasonably priced to ship here. Unfortunately I can't remember the name or find the invoice. If I do I'll post it here.

Hi no worries thanks for the reply. Yes please if you find any record of it could you post here or DM me? Thanks again

Advertisement