Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ajax wireless alarm system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

I saw that folks have gone with HomeSecure for a monitored Ajax installation. I was wondering if anyone got an installer to install unmonitored (same as self-monitored, right?) Ajax?

it seems either I need to install it myself (I don't want to / cannot) or I need to pay for monitoring for 3 years, with no clarity on how things will work once outside the 3-year contract.

https://ajax.systems/where-to-buy/ireland/ only recommends HomeSecure, so been hard to know how to find more options.

I talked to two more security installation companies - only one was ready to install an unmonitored or self-monitored security system - of Visionic.

Coming back to question :) Would anyone have recommendations for installers who install Ajax but not monitored?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭portach king

Hey Guys,

Fantastic thread to have access to. I just installed the Ajax system in my own place, and it's great so far. Was wondering what others have been doing for SIM card though? I looked up World SIM as someone else suggested, but they're out of stock. I contacted customer care, and they seemed none to happy with my plan to put into a security system either. 🤷‍♂️

Looking for help. Thanks a million lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Things Mobile Iot sim is pretty good. Jumps to the best available network.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭portach king

That's a great recommendation. Thanks! 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

This is a gold mine of a thread, thank you all for your contributions, very insightful.

Just stumbled upon Ajax system as the rest of you have.

I've a few questions if anyone could help?

• MotionProtect Curtain vs. DoorProtect

I have sliding doors to the rear of the property, from what I've read, am I correct in thinking the MotionProtect Curtain is a better solution than attaching DoorProtects to each of the sliding doors? Or should I combine both options?

• DoorProtect on Sash windows

I have dual aspect rooms with timber sash windows in the front and rear of each room, I presume that the best solution here is to attach the DoorProtect sensor to top and bottom rail, so that if either are moved then the link is broken? or is there a more obvious way of setting this up?

• MotionProtect / MotionProtect Plus / CombiProtect Plus usage

Where have people used these? I presume hallways, but have people used them elsewhere in concert with DoorProtect or would GlassProtect and DoorProtect be a better combo?

It seems very easy to go overboard here, spend a fortune on sensors for every window, door and corridor, and set the place up like Fort Knox and then lead to false alarms and too much hassle. I can't see any standard guide to best practice. Any help would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

I spoke to HomeSecure on what people typically go with and he recommended covering all downstairs doors so that is what I went with, albeit self install.

Also added in motion sensors in the rooms downstairs incase they come through the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just came across this thread. Interesting read

What do you do with regards sensors on windows with multiple openings. Some of mine have 4.

Is it a sensor on each or just one on the frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Anyone any luck with installing these without them being monitored? Also, I see Ajax do a pannel where they can integrate with an existing alarm? Any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

It is usually a sensor on each opening. Hopefully another user can comment regarding the range of vibration detection.

Loads of users through out the thread....

Yes you can buy the multi transmitter to wire in old devices such as wired door sensors, shock sensors, PIR. It supports 18 devices and looks user friendly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Fishdoodle

I self-installed an Ajax system over the Summer -It works great!

If you have outdoor sensors, (Outdoor Motion Protect) / (Curtain Protect) - You could do away with sensors on the windows. Thats the ideal -if an intruder comes near your window it triggers an alarm - so protecting the perimeter is the ideal. You could bypass window sensors and install an indoor PIR sensor -if the hoome is entered. if you wanted to be xtra safe one glass protect sensor covers a large area (can detect glass break within 9m I think), but I didnt bother.

Yes, installed without monitoring... the sym is self monitoring and alerts you (and others with the app) via phone. So you are alerted ...taking out the need for a monitoring company. Not sure about integrating with other sym.

• Advertisement

As far as I'm aware, some sims (like M2M and ioT type) are sms only (and maybe voice though not sure), meaning, if you installed a camera sensor (nore expensive Hub), the image wouldn't send to your phone.

However, -if you have a stable internet connection ...you should be fine. If the signal cuts ...you'll be notified via the app and you can figure it out. If you're internet isn't reliable ...then by all means you could go with a sim. But ...even without any internet OR sim signal your alarm will still go off if triggered - so the deterrent will work, though you wouldn't get notification on your phone. I found using internet only was fine and have had no issues to date.

Nonsense, M2M / IOT sims are primarily data based, covering anything from 2G to 5G. The clue is in the name. Most don't do voice unless VOIP data and many don't do text either.

I've a few questions if anyone could help?      MotionProtect Curtain vs. DoorProtect  

I have sliding doors to the rear of the property, from what I've read, am I correct in thinking the MotionProtect Curtain is a better solution than attaching DoorProtects to each of the sliding doors? Or should I combine both options?     

I went with both, mainly because CurtainProtect is brand new this year and I have my system nearly two years. DoorProtect+ are great at alerting you to open doors and windows as well as impacts from birds or kids playing ball and hitting your window. They also tell you the temperature in the room they are inside.

From a security point of view, both work well in guarding your perimeter. CurtainProtect requires two beams to be broken simultaneously so won't trigger for animals etc. It also requires a good external location to be mounted that isn't blocked by pipes or anything else outside your home. It's not great for the front of your house either unless you have 2 split each side, as it'll trigger whenever you have a visitor to the front door. DoorProtect might be overkill but I figure that if I'm getting a system, I'm covering every opening, since it still works out cheaper than an install from one of the locals (HKC, GSD, etc). The CurtainProtect triggers before any rogue gets close to breaking my windows but in the event that they do, at least Doorprotect will tell me which window/door and it counts as a second notification in my view so prompts me to call the Guards for support rather than risk a false alarm.

DoorProtect on Sash windows 

I have dual aspect rooms with timber sash windows in the front and rear of each room, I presume that the best solution here is to attach the DoorProtect sensor to top and bottom rail, so that if either are moved then the link is broken? or is there a more obvious way of setting this up?    

Yes, top of lower window or bottom work best. Most likely the bottom since you'll need space to be able to move the windows up and down without catching.

MotionProtect / MotionProtect Plus / CombiProtect Plus usage 

Where have people used these? I presume hallways, but have people used them elsewhere in concert with DoorProtect or would GlassProtect and DoorProtect be a better combo?

Yes, areas downstairs or on the landing where there's access via a flat roof. Anywhere that I need a second or third line of notification. I also have one in the garage.

I don't have any GlassProtect but do have CombiProtect, great units though very sensitive. They pick up if you drop a pint glass on the floor!

Apologies, I realise my system may be overkill and my comments are therefore useless...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Hairdo

Hi all, I've ordered an Ajax home alarm for my house from Home Secure. I'm just wondering now about my choice. I'm getting the new 4g version. Will this system work if the WiFi goes down?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I think mine has a sim and connected to data also... its a year old so probably an older hub...

Of course:-) -If your wife is unstable … that’s added peace of mind. However if your wi-fi is in any way decent you could opt out of having to use a sim at all (esp if paying for it each month yourself). Bear in mind that if using the motion cam -it sends images so via Sim you’d need a data plan (not just a 2g sim) if u want full functionality with wifi down.

in a nutshell - with decent wifi … I personally wouldn’t worry about sim backup. Your app will notify you if your wifi signal drops so you can try that starting off. (My wifi dropped once in the past year …and only for 10 secs).

in worst case doomsday scenario - say wifi goes down, sim stops working and power cut happens - the alarm will still function (via closed system) and will sound if triggered via (1 hr) backup battery … so you should be well covered. You could go all out on the Ajax sym but not necessary at all for most users unless you’re securing a diamond 💎 like in a heist movie 🍿 🙂

I meant WiFi (1st sentence) but will leave ‘wife’ as if made me laugh as I re-read post 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

Just ordered an Ajax system for the sister in-laws new house. Home Secure were doing the rounds and trying to get new subscribers, but only offering wireless systems. I did a bit of research, found the brand of alarm they were using, and then found this thread.

The houses are wired for window and door sensors, so madness not to use them.

I've ordered the following Ajax equipment from https://best-alarm-system-webshop.eu/ for €520 delivered:

• 1 x keypad
    • 1 x Internal Siren
    • 1x Hub
    • 1 x External Siren
    • 1 x multi transmitter (to connect wired sensors)

I'll pick up the sensors and contacts from the local electrical wholesalers. I can cover all windows and doors for €150.

Home Secure are offering the following for €50 installation and €30 per month which works out at €1130 after 3 years:

• 1 x keypad
    • 1x Hub
    • 1 x External Siren
    • 6 x Combi Protect sensors
    • 1 x motion sensor
    • Free indoor camera

She would need to add additional sensors to be able to cover all openings properly, and these would incur additional monthly fees.

Works out pretty good value 👍 An outdoor sensor is good also as it prevents a break in in the first place -would depend on property type though! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

Question: I have HKC which uses motion detectors in rooms, will the Ajax allow you to disable them and use window/door ones while in the house but when leaving activate so it uses both?

• Advertisement

Yes, you can set it up like that for night mode … or create scenarios for specific sensors. Basically - no probs there!

I'm in exact same situation - just bought a new build and alarm is all totally pre-wired, however I can't seem to get a reasonable install from anywhere that are going to actually use the wires, all of them looking to give me a wireless system and just ignore the pre-wiring which baffles me.

Was about to throw up a post asking a "recommend me a system", but maybe can just piggy back on your research and pretty much get exact same setup? Would you be okay sharing setup with further details? Also do you need a specific installer or just doing it yourself?

Would like to ensure that Home Insurance company will be satisfied etc.

Home insurer usually require alarm to be professionally installed, however the savings made on your premium will be offset by the big reduction on alarm/monitoring cost. I’ve seen some vids re setup on pre-wired -you’ll certainly get some help online 👍🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Brianb8802

I just bought an ajax system too, plus have a prewired new build so I went for the multi transmitter.

Any idea what wired sensors you're going for? These ones seem to be the smallest I can find

https://www.wesco.ie/products/p-hkcsen-esw.html

I have 20 windows and doors I need to wire up so hoping to get a good price on them somewhere.

Also, someone mentioned to me that I might need a resistor at the end point of the cable loop in each zone. Anybody have an idea where I can read up a bit more about this?

The neighbours next door got the Home Secure system fitted. Installer cut all of the wires back tight to the reveals so they can never be used again. Madness! The wiring that was installed is pretty neat too, so we couldn't justify putting in a wireless alarm.

I will be installing it for her. I've installed alarms in the past (Vanderbilt SPC systems). I'm no installer but there are plenty of threads on here giving guidance etc. It's time consuming when you are not used to doing it, but doable nonetheless.

As for the home insurance, I have stated that I don't have home alarm system installed. I think there was €20 in the difference for the premium, so even if PSA installed you are better off not declaring it in case you forget to set it one day and the worst happens.

I'll be wiring in Inertia (shock) sensors with contacts on all door and window frames that are accessible from the ground floor or from an extension roof. For window frames with 2 openings, they will get an inertia sensor with contact on one opening and a contact sensor on the other opening. The windows upstairs that are not accessible without a ladder are getting contact sensors only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

has anyone come across installers who can do installation only if i buy the ajax system?

i want to make use of the wired option in the house.

i am happy to buy the required stuff based on some of the suggestion in previous post

but im no good in any DIY work. so need help with installation or connections.

im ok to tell home insurance that i dont have alarm as it will not be a professional installation.

am still looking for exactly this myself (in Dublin).

Am close enough to giving up and getting the "off the shelf" offer from local installer which is not Ajax unfortunately.

Is the deteriorating situation in the Ukraine likely to impact on Ajax alarm systems? Where are their servers located or does it matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Putin will control your home! Accept your new masters...

In fairness, I thought there was more to all this invasion talk... Now it's clear, they're after the monitoring fees for our house alarms!

Advertisement