Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Concrete Fence Panels

Options
  • 08-02-2014 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of concrete fence panels and if so would they recommend them, do they last and most importantly do they stay up? I am at this stage fed up to the back teeth of having to pick up, repair, replace wooden fence panels and want to get something low maintenance, that will last year in year out. I am hoping these fit the job?

Woodfaced_Concrete_Walling_System_Dublin_small.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Concrete is for life so if it is done right first time it will be your only time doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Most people choose the Timber panels because they are quick and easy but in most cases Rot or fall overtime.
    With Concrete Panels. Once the Posts are put in deep enough and in Concrete you shouldn't have any problems from there on. you can then Paint them any colour you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

It depends on the ground conditions. I had a garden that had a tendency for soil to shift a little bit. Over time this movement caused the concrete posts to slant a bit and splay and then the panels were in danger of falling out. That can be a real risk if you have kids playing in the garden. These posts were buried in concrete.

The other problem with these is that the posts in particular are prone to chipping on the edges. This exposes the rebar which rusts and then that works it's way up the length causing the edges to crumble. These edges are what hold the panels in so now your panels are at risk of falling out from this too.

I would never put these in again. Block wall for me from now on, but I'm sure people will point out that block walls can have their own issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Thanks all for your advice. I was originally thinking of going with the concrete posts and timber panels but a neighbour has these and the panels are continuously popping out. The posts haven't moved in years so I hope this is an indication that the soil is decent enough. If there was a way to actually bolt the timer panel in place then it would be a cheaper option but I have looked for fixings and there doesn't seem to be any. The concrete panels are a little more expensive but I am hoping worth it over time.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Did you get any costs on these concrete panels. From what I can see they come in 300mm height sections and can be plane, rock faced on one side or rock faced on both.

Had 15 of them gone after today's winds and was lucky to get the dog back after she went walkies....

Need a permanent solution

• Advertisement

Yes I got some prices. A 6'x6' panel, faced on one side and installed with concrete posts works out at around €150. Got quote of these guys http://shedworldwexford.com/new/index.php?page=dswalling&quality=high

Did you get any costs on these concrete panels. From what I can see they come in 300mm height sections and can be plane, rock faced on one side or rock faced on both.

Had 15 of them gone after today's winds and was lucky to get the dog back after she went walkies....

Need a permanent solution

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

Yes I got some prices. A 6'x6' panel, faced on one side and installed with concrete posts works out at around €150. Got quote of these guys http://shedworldwexford.com/new/index.php?page=dswalling&quality=high
    Go and get some quotes from the various precast concrete companies themselves.If you can cut out the middleman then you might save some more money.

jpb14 wrote: »
    Go and get some quotes from the various precast concrete companies themselves.If you can cut out the middleman then you might save some more money.
    I'm sure I would save some money but for me it wouldn't be worth the hassle. I'd have to buy all the materials and then try and find someone to put them up for me. I'd rather pay someone to do the whole job and then if something goes wrong only they are responsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Concrete posts will move. The concrete lats also move. Wouldn't have them near my house.

What you want is double sided wooden fencing. 'Hit and miss' design that lets wind pass between the alternating pattern of the fence. Or, alternatively, a tressle on the windward side of the fence to break the wind bfore it hits the wooden fence.

Ah sure your down there in Wiclow where the ground is only muck, up here in Dublin we have good quality gardens made up of 60% builders crap - Well capable of holding onto a few concrete posts ;)

Concrete posts will move. The concrete lats also move. Wouldn't have them near my house.

What you want is double sided wooden fencing. 'Hit and miss' design that lets wind pass between the alternating pattern of the fence. Or, alternatively, a tressle on the windward side of the fence to break the wind bfore it hits the wooden fence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

Putting on my necromancers hat for this one...

Looking to replace my existing shiplap wooden fencing with something more substantial.

The garden is effectively a long rectangle, perhaps 15m long and 6m wide. It's a terraced house, looking to get both sides of the garden and the back fence done (leads onto a common laneway at the back of the terrace).

Has anyone had their garden fencing done in concrete, particularly concrete panels or rock/brickface panels?

I've also considered a block wall, not sure if it should be a single skin or double skin wall. I also don't know the cost of a block wall. I'm guessing it'd require a foundation for the whole wall as opposed to concrete fencing which needs the posts dug in?

I'll welcome any advice offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

+1 on this. Put it in my old fella's garden a few years ago, hit and miss verticals close to the house, just left a 20mm gap further down the garden where privacy wasn't an issue.

Nobody has concrete fencing in their garden?

Really?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

Iguarantee wrote: »

Really?!
    of course they do.
    I know someone who has a concrete panel fence - looks shyte, IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭karlitob

Really?!

Of course they do. But it looks awful. If you dig concrete posts deep enough, put in your concrete panels and hide them behind hedging then it’s a job for life and any movement, if it happens, won’t be noticed. If you’re getting someone in - then ask for places that they put them in. Better still - if you see something you like, ask them who got it for them.

Did a big job in the garden last year - 44m of fence. Went with wooden fence panels, tongue and groove and put capping on them to tie them in.

I did it myself - spent about 3000k on materials including paint. Didnt do cash in hand cos I’m a goody two shoes but will next time.

Putting in a block wall is much more expensive - my cheapest quote was 7500k. Of course, it depends on site access etc - and my neighbour is a plank. And it was also beyond my skill level to even consider doing it diy.

So - like most things - it all depends on what you really want and what you’re willing to pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

karlitob wrote: »
    Of course they do. But it looks awful. If you dig concrete posts deep enough, put in your concrete panels and hide them behind hedging then it’s a job for life and any movement, if it happens, won’t be noticed. If you’re getting someone in - then ask for places that they put them in. Better still - if you see something you like, ask them who got it for them.

Did a big job in the garden last year - 44m of fence. Went with wooden fence panels, tongue and groove and put capping on them to tie them in.

I did it myself - spent about 3000k on materials including paint. Didnt do cash in hand cos I’m a goody two shoes but will next time.

Putting in a block wall is much more expensive - my cheapest quote was 7500k. Of course, it depends on site access etc - and my neighbour is a plank. And it was also beyond my skill level to even consider doing it diy.

So - like most things - it all depends on what you really want and what you’re willing to pay for.

You would fence the Kremlin for that cost!

Cerco wrote: »
    You would fence the Kremlin for that cost!

With Russian labour and materials maybe.
    My most expensive quote was 12500k.

Narrow side access, couldn’t get digger in. Was still 7500 with me doing that work manually.

In fairness, I saw a number of concrete fence installations over the last few days by complete chance.

All looked like they’d been there for nigh on a decade and every single one looked awful. Green algae, dull, water stained etc.

Back to the drawing board :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭CoBo55

In fairness, I saw a number of concrete fence installations over the last few days by complete chance.

All looked like they’d been there for nigh on a decade and every single one looked awful. Green algae, dull, water stained etc.

Just power wash them down every year, saying that I went for double board fencing last year, put 2 coats of outdoor varnish on them (complete pain in the hole btw) and they look perfect still.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Just power wash them down every year, saying that I went for double board fencing last year, put 2 coats of outdoor varnish on them (complete pain in the hole btw) and they look perfect still.

I’m in a terraced house. My concern is that my neighbours, whilst on board with getting fencing, aren’t in a position to pay a contribution toward the fencing (is rather not discuss that further here).

Can the fence panels be removed for a yearly varnish? We have wooden fencing now and we’ve no access to the other side of the fencing unless we remove it.

My neighbour also has hedges which seem to have prevented moisture escaping so the fencing in that side of the garden is rotten as well as dilapidated. No point painting the facing half if the back half is getting wrecked. Sort of like brushing your front teeth but not your back teeth!

The cost difference between wood and concrete isn’t massive (€96 for 6x concrete panels or €76 for 1x concrete panel and a fence panel to sit atop it). It’s down to aesthetics and maintainability style this stage. Is hit and miss fencing, which I like, not a pain in the ass to treat given it’s all nooks and crannies?

• Advertisement

I’m in a terraced house. My concern is that my neighbours, whilst on board with getting fencing, aren’t in a position to pay a contribution toward the fencing (is rather not discuss that further here).

Can the fence panels be removed for a yearly varnish? We have wooden fencing now and we’ve no access to the other side of the fencing unless we remove it.

My neighbour also has hedges which seem to have prevented moisture escaping so the fencing in that side of the garden is rotten as well as dilapidated. No point painting the facing half if the back half is getting wrecked. Sort of like brushing your front teeth but not your back teeth!

The cost difference between wood and concrete isn’t massive (€96 for 6x concrete panels or €76 for 1x concrete panel and a fence panel to sit atop it). It’s down to aesthetics and maintainability style this stage. Is hit and miss fencing, which I like, not a pain in the ass to treat given it’s all nooks and crannies?

I'm in a terraced house myself, one neighbour built a block wall which is grand I never touched it or painted it etc it's just there. I put the new fence on the other side and treated it afterwards on my side, as you say it was a pain in the nuts to do, my cheap spray gun from Aldi made it a lot easier. I'm going to do it again this year and I'll do both sides, neighbour is sound, it shouldn't be a bother.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I'm in a terraced house myself, one neighbour built a block wall which is grand I never touched it or painted it etc it's just there. I put the new fence on the other side and treated it afterwards on my side, as you say it was a pain in the nuts to do, my cheap spray gun from Aldi made it a lot easier. I'm going to do it again this year and I'll do both sides, neighbour is sound, it shouldn't be a bother.

Fair enough.

I’ve fencing both sides which is in a heap due to the various storms over the last 12 months.

I’ll look into concrete posts with fence panels and update here if I get anything done.

Thanks.

Not a fan of the hit and miss myself so we went with tongue and groove picture framed fencing.

Painted both the concrete and the fence - everyone thought I was mad but turned out well.

The bushes on the other side can also protect from rain and UV so not necessarily a bad thing.

Even if you had a block wall, it wouldn’t look great either. You’d have to (or at least I think so) render it and paint. Or you could always plant hedging along. Or batten it and put boards up. It all increases the price of course.

Not an easy choice as you want to keep costs down and obviously want it to stay put.

We put the fence on our side - not great relationship with neighbour. It’s all ours now and they can’t touch it. If you’re isn’t contributing you might want to consider same.

Fair enough.

I’ve fencing both sides which is in a heap due to the various storms over the last 12 months.

I’ll look into concrete posts with fence panels and update here if I get anything done.

Thanks.

Mine was in bits too, aul timber stakes with that manky 6*6 sheeting, bog pretending to be grass for 3 months of the year. I did an eastern bloc job on it, concreted the whole shebang, splashed out too much money on a decent double gate, worth every penny:D I'm sorry I didn't do it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Our original wooden posts (with double sided timber fencing panels) were replaced last year with concrete posts. The original wooden panels that slot into the concrete were retained, builders did a great job. I think about 15 concrete posts between all walls in the garden. Great job.

The garden was renovated and we painted the whole lot black, you would hardly notice the concrete posts. All our neighbors fencing is barely hanging together. (still original timber posts in the ground). A job that can't be avoided once they start to fall in bad wind.

(Excuse the poor photo)

Aaa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭clarecoco

I have a concrete fence in with 20 years. Still perfect - no movement. I replaced the high maintenance, rotten timber fence which already had the concrete posts. As a safeguard, at that time, I dug up a bit of soil around the posts and put some extra concrete just around the concrete posts. They are completely stable and no movement in 20 years. Concrete fencing is ideal for trailing some climber plants or ivy if a person doesn't like the grey look.
    Otherwise if left plain and some nearby hedging causes algae build up, a hose down (mix bleach if no plants underneath...bleach can damage plants) every couple of years. This beats the annual maintenance of painting and washing down associated with timber fencing both from a labour and cost perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭clarecoco

I had the timber panels and if you want to have climbers and plants adjacent to that boundary its a disaster. It deteriorates in 5 or 6 years as because of plants its difficult to paint. I am replacing with Precast concrete panels. See photo of old timber panels next to the new replacement concrete panels. In my view much superior. Concrete is no maintenance unlike timber which should be painted each year or otherwise it will go green and mould will grow on it.

The option of painting concrete is also available if that's a preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Spalling is the process where the concrete cracks and the rebar is exposed. Typically happens in a few stages, mainly where moisture gets into the rebar through frost damage or small cracks in the beams.

I'd wonder if treating the panels with a concrete water sealant would prevent the ingress and hence delay the spalling. Might be worth the once-off investment to protect the asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hickory 9

Replacement time for our fence panels. We have concrete posts with gravel boards. Our neighbour wants to put in concrete 12" panels. I say the posts are not deep enough and we should use hit and miss panles. What say You?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would always pick timber over concrete, think the concrete panels give off a real prison yard vibe.

Advertisement