Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭theaaao

deezell wrote: »
    At €2500, your budget is confined to the smaller cut ride on mowers, many at this size are mulchers, and many again are generic brands, big store offers like McCullough etc. The Stiga group range is probably your best option, the castegarden XD140HD (B&S engine) or the XD 150HD (Stiga ggp engine) are identical, the GGP engine a more basic workhorse, the smaller but worthy B&S engine might be the wiser choice. The smallest Stihl in a bagger tractor us a step up, the RT5097, bigger cut, bigger engine, different class, will cost an extra €1k if you shop around. The Husqvarna TC138 is close to your budget, if you can find one in stock, there were a few negative posts about Huskys last year, but they're a premium brand in the scheme of things.
    No mower shop will refuse business! If its warranty conditional, check with the supplier for approval. I'm assumimg you're thinking of importing. Agrieuro have designated service partners. Generally, there are some service conditions, e.g., a 2 year warranty would likely require a winter service. A one year warranty is statutory, unless you used the machine commercially, which is unlikely. Bigger mowers with hour recorders might have service intervals based on this. It wouldn't cover work damage anyway, just engine, transmission, bearings etc. You could break a brand new mower €90 timing belt in the first 5 minutes, say, catching a thatch covered root the rose up over the winter. Like I did last March (not a brand new mower, but a pith nonetheless)

Thanks for the detailed response. With my budget im definitely around the stiga group range. Had checked out Agrieuro and would be considering ordering from there alright unless a local dealer could do a deal.

What about going for a second hand honda 2417 instead. Can get more mower for my money and thinking I could do some servicing myself once parts are readily available. Seen one up the country which has good service history and had belts and deck replaced recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭deezell

theaaao wrote: »
    Thanks for the detailed response. With my budget im definitely around the stiga group range. Had checked out Agrieuro and would be considering ordering from there alright unless a local dealer could do a deal.

What about going for a second hand honda 2417 instead. Can get more mower for my money and thinking I could do some servicing myself once parts are readily available. Seen one up the country which has good service history and had belts and deck replaced recently.

You are always better off getting a bigger used mower for a decent size area, than flogging a smaller brand new one. If you can get that honda within budget, assuming its in good nick, I'd estimate 4-5 year old would be a reasonable age to expect for about your budget. Im wondering how old is it if the deck was so wrecked it needed replacing. If it was rust through neglect, then all other parts need a full inspection. Theres a 2018 one on Adverts for €2950, best offer so far 2 grand. I'd estimate it value about €2800 for 3 years depreciation at 80% year1, 90% of this for year 2 and 90% again for year 3, compound about 65% on €4400 new price. If you offer your budget, you might be in with a shout.
    http://www.adverts.ie/21787158
    BTW. Monaghan hire have the CGs at your budget exactly
    https://monaghanhire.com/products/castelgarden-xdc150hd-hydrostatic-ride-on-mower

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

Hi @deezell Thanks for the tips on depreciation.
    "depreciation at 80% year1, 90% of this for year 2 and 90% again for year 3, compound about 65%"
    So a three year old Hayter R53 at 800 new should now be obtainable for around 500, assuming good condition?
    I'm asking because I'm told it has a good self-drive, suitable for a hilly field.
    I've just checked adverts.ie and see two for sale from the same seller at 350 and 500.

Sysmod wrote: »
    Hi @deezell Thanks for the tips on depreciation.
    "depreciation at 80% year1, 90% of this for year 2 and 90% again for year 3, compound about 65%"
    So a three year old Hayter R53 at 800 new should now be obtainable for around 500, assuming good condition?
    I'm asking because I'm told it has a good self-drive, suitable for a hilly field.
    I've just checked adverts.ie and see two for sale from the same seller at 350 and 500.
    lots of other factors, hours worked, service record, abuse and neglect, and brand recognition, but it works well. As an example of that Honds 2417 below, another guy has a 4 year old one up, looking for €3200. He's dreaming, his only offer to date is 2000.
    Buying from a dealer, expect a higher price as you'll have some warranty, on engine and transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Where can i buy a grass dedflector for honda ride on/
    I paid €950 for an old honda RF 2417 ride-on end of summer.
    Are they good mower?

• Advertisement

Where can i buy a grass dedflector for honda ride on/
    I paid €950 for an old honda RF 2417 ride-on end of summer.
    Are they good mower?

This place was good before Brexit.
    https://www.gardenmachinerydirect.co.uk/accessories-attachments/honda-tractor-grass-deflector.html

As good as any at that price. Like many manufacturers trying to compete, a large amount of parts are global generic. Deck, frames, other parts common to castelgarden, Mountfield etc. The Honda engine is a premium part, once its been serviced and had its oil changed, it could outlast the mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I have a Honda 2417 V-tech. Great machine. The engine has run perfectly for about 20 years, I had to replace the deck last year ('hanging brackets' rusted). That deck is interchangeable with Castlegarden with a couple of minor modifications (spring tensioner). I've just replaced the battery this month, the second replacement since new.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

I need to buy a ride-on asap. I was looking at the Mountfield 15hp & the Castlegarden. The Mountfield has a Mountainfield engine while the Castlegarden has a Briggs & Stratten engine. Which would be the best engine. Or any boardie recommend a good reliable machine. I would need about a 13-15hp.

hillbloom wrote: »
    I need to buy a ride-on asap. I was looking at the Mountfield 15hp & the Castlegarden. The Mountfield has a Mountainfield engine while the Castlegarden has a Briggs & Stratten engine. Which would be the best engine. Or any boardie recommend a good reliable machine. I would need about a 13-15hp.
    Garden size, coarse or fine, budget, bag or mulch? Hard to answer, even HP is not a guide, as blanket statements of HP are generally 60% higher than delivered Hp,/Kw at operating revs. For example, the Mountfield 1530H is listed on some retailers as a 16HP machine, but it delivers 7.4 Kw or 10 Bhp at 2200 rpm. Have a look here for all Mountfield specs.
    https://www.eastbrothersmachinery.ie/product-page/mountfield-1530h-84cm

Having said that, I'm guessing you're looking at the small to medium cut 84 to 98cm. The larger 102cm is a B&S engined job, smaller cut machines use Stiga group engines, which will not be inferior. You"ll pay a bit more for a B&S engined mower of any given cut size, so compare 92cm or 98cm from Stiga, Castelgarden, Mountfield, and Alpina. They're all cut from the same GGP/Stiga group cloth. Probably easier to sell a used B&S engined machine in ten years time if you can even think that far ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Hi folks . Have a 2 year old ride on and
    Noticed today that when switched to engage blade nothing happened. Blade engaged symbol on but it wouldn’t kick in . Comes on eventually after multiple attempts . Any ideas ?

• Advertisement

Daz_ wrote: »
    Hi folks . Have a 2 year old ride on and
    Noticed today that when switched to engage blade nothing happened. Blade engaged symbol on but it wouldn’t kick in . Comes on eventually after multiple attempts . Any ideas ?

Check the connection down at the drive pulley under the engine, two wire connection. Look for a slightly pulled off wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Check the connection down at the drive pulley under the engine, two wire connection. Look for a slightly pulled off wire.

Thanks Deezell will have a look at that

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

What's the general feeling on trading in lawnmowers for a change/upgrade?

Is it something that some would do every couple of years to keep a fresh machine, or would most buy and hold for a good few years until it no longer suits?

I've a Rover about 4 years now. Good strong machine, kept well.
    But I wouldn't mind a lighter machine either, as the Rover is a bit awkward for some spots and too heavy for my wife to use comfortably. Finding it hard to justify parting with something I know is reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Another one.
    600sq/m front, Gradient of about 1 in 10, L shaped. Not level due to rock slab beneath.
    100sq/m rear.
    Ancient Tecumseh has been doing the job so far, taking considerable time to do so. Will hang onto it for rear but looking at ride on/tractor mower options for front. Lawn is mature, during summer needs cut every 10-14 days (weather permitting). Last year I found waiting for a dry weekend was not always an option.
    Previous owner cut weekly with a mulching self propelled (contractor). Seeing the amount of moss on it after last year (left cuttings on ground) need a collector.
    2nd Hand John Deere 135 on done deal nearby for under €1500, otherwise looking to spend no more than €2500, if possible. New Stiga available nearby for about that.
    Having maintained my own motorcycles (except for the big stuff) for the last 20 years am hoping to continue doing similar with Ride-On.

Am I being realistic?

Sounds like a plan to me. If you don't hop your mower over rough ground or drop the blades too low into the thatch, or stones, your maintenance will just be annual engine oil service and a deck drive belt after a good few years. You start to get other issues on a machine well into its second decade, again, rough use and or care/neglect dependent. Keep blades sharp and balanced, clean off deck underside and brush off rust at seasons end. A coating of rust paint underneath will prevent corrosion over the winter eating the metal away.

14 days would be a long interval in the summer, you'd need to go up a notch or two in height if you left it that long between cuts, otherwise you'll be unclogging the grass chute, and putting a strain on the cutting deck components.

Sounds like a plan to me. If you don't hop your mower over rough ground or drop the blades too low into the thatch, or stones, your maintenance will just be annual engine oil service and a deck drive belt after a good few years. You start to get other issues on a machine well into its second decade, again, rough use and or care/neglect dependent. Keep blades sharp and balanced, clean off deck underside and brush off rust at seasons end. A coating of rust paint underneath will prevent corrosion over the winter eating the metal away.

14 days would be a long interval in the summer, you'd need to go up a notch or two in height if you left it that long between cuts, otherwise you'll be unclogging the grass chute, and putting a strain on the cutting deck components.

Thanks for that. Would you recommend any other types, or more importantly types to avoid? Local guy does Castlegarden, MTD are also a type I hadn't heard of before, Agrieuro seem to be doing great deals on them and Snapper.

Dohvolle wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Would you recommend any other types, or more importantly types to avoid? Local guy does Castlegarden, MTD are also a type I hadn't heard of before, Agrieuro seem to be doing great deals on them and Snapper.

MTD are a decent brand, I think they manufacture in eastern Europe and Germany, also in China (who doesn't?), though the parent company is US, where they make a lot of badged stuff for Sears, Walmart etc, as well as own brands Yardmaster and Cub Cadet, and cheaper John Deeres. In Europe, Wolf Garten is one of their brands.
    Castelgarden are one of the Stiga Group brands, Stiga, Castelarden, Alpina and Mountfield, you'll see practically identical mowers under these brands.
    Snapper are a respected robust brand owned by Briggs and Stratton, who are now owned by a Capital investment company who bought them out of bankruptcy.
    CG sound enough value for money machines, the smaller sized machines would be at the lower end of the price market, though there are some cheaper shoddier machines to be had at the lowest level, usually made for big stores, with various badge brandnames. The middle
    quality market band of mowers would be the likes of Husqvarna, Stihl, Honda, Toro, where you'll pay a bit more for a more engineered product.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Hi all. Big thread this. Hard to find exact information. In the market for a tractor mower.

1. Castlegarden PTX175HD 40” cut. €3400
    2. Castlegarden XT200HD 40” cut. €3900

3. Snapper. Not sure of model. Rear discharge, 42” cut. B&S engine and built by them too. Just not familiar with the brand. €3600

Any advice or opinions appreciated.

Thanks.

Any idea why there isn't a castelgarden to be had anywhere in europe for the next 3 weeks?
    Looking at an XDC150HD. My local man doesn't have them in stock yet, same for all the Agrieuro sites.
    Worth waiting for (that and I won't have funds till end of next month anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Hi lads,

Can anybody recommend the best walk behind dedicated mulcher mower. Don't need a grass box at all. It'd be for a reasonably big lawn. I could spend 600 or a bit more if needs be.

This Stiga any good?

https://www.agrieuro.com/rasaerba-mulching-trazionato-stiga-multiclip-plus-50-sx-st-170-ohv-autochoke-p-15757.html

• Advertisement

Dohvolle wrote: »
    Any idea why there isn't a castelgarden to be had anywhere in europe for the next 3 weeks?
    Looking at an XDC150HD. My local man doesn't have them in stock yet, same for all the Agrieuro sites.
    Worth waiting for (that and I won't have funds till end of next month anyway).

Blame Covid, and also the fact that Irish distribution of a vast amount if EU goods was via their UK arms, so Brexit has fecked that supply chain up. Remember the Musgraves brouhaha over the Lever bros detergent distribution to us via the UK. Stuff made in France, sent here via the UK, sterling collapsed after Brexit and Lever UK tried to hoist the price here to compensate, though the factory price in euros was the same to us. Super valu took ir off the shelves in protest. Same crap is happening because of Brexit. If I'm not mistaken, Stiga group had distribution via the UK, they even pulled their stuff off agrieuro UK, its only on .de.
    I was given a June delivery date for a poxy garden shed, local maker months behind, and all the online sellers up the creek also (check the out of stock listings in Argos, a disaster).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Theres an oportunity out there to buypass british distribution and import directly, you could sell at a slightly lower price and still make better money by cutting out the middle man.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Theres an oportunity out there to buypass british distribution and import directly, you could sell at a slightly lower price and still make better money by cutting out the middle man.

There was a big "wait and see" from distributors of everything, due in part by the british government insisting that all warnings were "project fear".
    Jan 1 happened and project fear all of a sudden became project fact.
    As far as I know the Castelgarden/Stiga distributor in Ireland is based in Kilkenny.
    It probably takes a while to come off the end of a packing list for goods to UK/IRL and instead to put yourself on the ship coming direct from Italy. I expect the head office would expect them to hold a much larger quantity in storage now also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Morning all. Looking for a bit of advice, hope you can help out.

Thinking of getting this.

hw531pd/"]https://www.jdslawnmowers.ie/product/mountfield-hw531pd/[/URL]

Usually takes about 90 minutes to cut with an 18" cutting width. What I'm looking for in a mower is a wide cutting width and one that won't clog (I won't be bagging) it.

This one is 21" and offers a mulching option so seems perfect to me. Not looking to buy too expensive as I will be upgrading in 3 years to a sit on (when I have a garage space to store it). Also, by then the size of our lawn will have grown a bit more (we have a lot to play with).

I'm sure you are overcooked with these requests, so I appreciate any thoughts!

Morning all. Looking for a bit of advice, hope you can help out.

Thinking of getting this.

hw531pd/"]https://www.jdslawnmowers.ie/product/mountfield-hw531pd/[/URL]

Usually takes about 90 minutes to cut with an 18" cutting width. What I'm looking for in a mower is a wide cutting width and one that won't clog (I won't be bagging) it.

This one is 21" and offers a mulching option so seems perfect to me. Not looking to buy too expensive as I will be upgrading in 3 years to a sit on (when I have a garage space to store it). Also, by then the size of our lawn will have grown a bit more (we have a lot to play with).

I'm sure you are overcooked with these requests, so I appreciate any thoughts!
    This Toro from the same supplier had a B&S engine, variable speed drive, higher max cut height of 95mm for rougher areas, and is generally a more premium brand. You should get a better return in 3 years.

https://www.jdslawnmowers.ie/product/toro-21750/

These lads in Athy have it for a tenner less.
    https://www.bvsparts.ie/product/toro-21750-53cm/

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sligo_dave

Recommendations please and any experience anyone has with either of the following ride on mowers:
    Husqvarna TC138 or Mountfield 1538
    The only hesitation I have with the husqvarna is stories in the past of the grass collection not being great and the chute getting clogged up, but unsure if this is still an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

This Toro from the same supplier had a B&S engine, variable speed drive, higher max cut height of 95mm for rougher areas, and is generally a more premium brand. You should get a better return in 3 years.

https://www.jdslawnmowers.ie/product/toro-21750/

These lads in Athy have it for a tenner less.
    https://www.bvsparts.ie/product/toro-21750-53cm/

I have no idea how I missed that Deezell! Obviously the Toro makes more sense, superior machine and reputation.

Thanks for all the help, very much appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Looking for some advice, I purchased a lawnmower from agrieuro 3 years ago and the drive has gone in it. Had a bit of back of forth with them and they basically blamed me for not maintaining it and washed there hands of it. Really poor customer service from them as the mower was still in warranty. I brought it to our local lawnmower repair and they said its a poor unit to start with and not worth repairing.

Its a McCullough 52" steel deck and to be honest its cumbersome to use now as its extremley heavy.
    I've come to the decision I'm going to move to a cordless mower. I've been looking at one of the egos its the
    https://dermotcasey.com/product/ego-lm2122e-sp-lawn-mower-52cm-2/

Now its expensive but hopefully should last a while.
    With the current mower it takes aroun 45 mins to cut the grass. So this should cover my needs
    I'm wondering if I should consider another brand. Only other ones I can find are Stihl and they arent as reviewed as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Hi all, started up the lawnmower for the first cut last week, immensely satisfying!!!
    Want to go over all pivot points with a bit of lubricant and try and head off any issues before they start. I have a CastleGarden TCP 102 ride on mower.
    Are you better to use a little bit of oil or grease?
    Any advise on what oil to use when topping up the engine oil?
    Anything else that should be done to help prolong the machine?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 gud

Hi sorry if this has been asked already. Looking to buy a new ride on. Budget is tight. I would prefer castlegarden. I have looked at a few and my size lawn requires a biggish one as it's large and hilly. €3000 is my budget but I can get a castle garden PTX 175 HD for €3200 with my local dealer. It's 20 hp twin cylinder but with a castle garden engine. I've been told Briggs and stratton engine are better but the price difference is too much for the same type model with B&S engine.
    Is the castlegarden engine reliable? Or would I be buying trouble?

Advertisement