Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Options
  • 23-05-2012 8:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭

And so the cycle begins again....

And so it never feels lost or lonely, here is the link to the now closed thread, because the past matters man! Hello old friend!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And to get the ball rolling, I bought a copy of Retrogame Challenge for the DS, based on a dubious recommendation from Retr0 and Sera, so I know who to kill if it sucks...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

You forgot to put a link to the old thread in the first post!

38955d1328670511-battle-pictures-war-272037977.jpg

Seriously though, please put one in!

Would be a shame for the old thread to be get lost in the haystack and forgotten about forever!

Think of all the eyecandy future noobs will miss out on! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Can you post a link to the original thread in the OP so it's not lost foreverz? :(

2001-starchild.jpg

^^^ Click for Trumpets

Now if you could *just* fix the broken link! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Glad to see were doing the sequels in order of the shinobi games

10'000 posts from now may we all start posting in the "Shadow Hauls: The Secret of the A&R forum"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Just picked up Gynoug for the Mega Drive. NTSC-J and so forth...

ibbc2Ww36BkFDO.JPG
    iVGjdkq6hSZhY.JPG

Seller also chucked in Virtua Racing for the Mega Drive for free too. :)

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Just picked up Gynoug for the Mega Drive. NTSC-J and so forth...

ibbc2Ww36BkFDO.JPG
    iVGjdkq6hSZhY.JPG

Seller also chucked in Virtua Racing for the Mega Drive for free too. :)

Nice! After I moved from the MD to the PS1, I actually gave my old next door neighbour VR Racing for free!

Would sure love to have that cart back right now though! ;)

That reminds me, must *acquire* VR Flat Out while I'm PS2 mad atm.

Is VR Flat Out on the Sega Classics collection on the PS2? I have Virtua Racing on it, but don't know if it's that version or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Odd thing about Retrogame Challenge is that, when I searched eBay for the game, instead of getting the usual no hits or more than 8 or so hits, I only got one hit!
    A copy in the States with, as luck would have it, reasonable rates to Ireland, so I bought it.
    Looks like it's interesting, plus it's the US copy of the game, so it's in Engrish as well.
    Apparently there is a Jap only sequel as well, so if this is a fun title I may see about adding that to the collection.

Is VR Flat Out on the Sega Classics collection on the PS2? I have Virtua Racing on it, but don't know if it's that version or not.

Yeah, that's the one.
    It's ok, a lot better than the awful Saturn version.
    But, it's not the 32X or MD game so it loses out!
    It does look silky smooth though, but it loses something in the translation.
    I adore the series and the 32X is the best version for me, followed by the incredible feat of VR on the MD, Stuntrace FX can eat it's dust!

• Advertisement

I think there was 2 releases of the remade saturn version that came out on the PS2 Pyongy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtua_Racing#Home_console_versions

"A remake was released for the PlayStation 2 under the Sega Ages 2500 label known as Virtua Racing: Flatout. It was released in Japan in 2004 and in North America and Europe in 2005 as part of the Sega Classics Collection. It includes three new courses and four new cars."

How do the Metal Slug games play on the PS2 actually?

I'd probably rather play them on my CRT than in mame on my desktop.

Can't bate playing old games on the comfort of your couch!

IT'S 'THE TOWER' BANDWAGON PART II!

Couldn't help myself. Bought Retro Game Challenge and Raiden Fighters Aces from CD Universe. Super cheap prices, new, sealed and only $8 to flat rate shipping for the whole lot!

DISCO! :)

0iHtY.jpg

EDIT: If anyone is interested, Retro Game Challenge is available for $6 delivery from CD universe. I ordered Raiden Fighters Aces to go with it as the price was too good. The PAL one is never going to arrive and the NTSC-J edition prices are ridiculous:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?PID=7755165&style=GAMES

Glad to see were doing the sequels in order of the shinobi games

10'000 posts from now may we all start posting in the "Shadow Hauls: The Secret of the A&R forum"

And in order of the Mutant Camel games also! :D

Everyones a winRawr!

waveform wrote: »
    How do the Metal Slug games play on the PS2 actually?

I have nearly all of them individually, volumes 1 thru 6, plus the Anthology. All NTSC-J. Think I'm missing Vol. 2 or Vol. 4, I forget.

All play really nice, although I prefer the MVS carts (obviously, as they are not ports but the real 'directors cut') but I only have Metal Slug and Metal Slug X of those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

If only Stanley Kubrick (did) (make)/made games...

If only I had an FM Towns...

24-3.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Apparently there is a Jap only sequel as well, so if this is a fun title I may see about adding that to the collection.

The sequel includes and extensive text based murder mystery adventure game. You're basically boned once you reach it if you don't know japanese.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

24-3.jpg

It ain't all that :rolleyes:

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The sequel includes and extensive text based murder mystery adventure game.

Is that a reference to the episode where the feature game is Hokkaido Serial Murders? That game needs localizing in a major way. One of my favourite episodes, the game looks incredible!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

happydance

The CPC I picked up last week , I was able to mod it to bypass the tapedeck if needed and load data straight from an mp3 player(you can make em up from tape images and theres even a site that has them as mp3s ready for download!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is that a reference to the episode where the feature game is Hokkaido Serial Murders? That game needs localizing in a major way. One of my favourite episodes, the game looks incredible!

It's more a reference to Portopia Serial Murder Case which is probably the most famous japanese text adventure on the NES and was one of the first games by Yuji Horii who went on to create dragon quest. It got fan translated recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

So what is it?:D:D:D:D

Video of the TurboExpress screen as requested.
    I've put it beside an unmodified Nomad for a screen comparison.

You can see the screen isnt great by today's standards but considering its age I think its ok. I'd love to mod the screen on it and maybe I will one day. The Nomad is going to get a screen mod in the next few months I hope, once I sort out parts and talk nice to Mr WorsePrisonNameEver ;)

Best to watch this in full screen 1080p:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Thanks for doing that. The TurboExpress screen looks a lot better than I thought, colours are really vibrant. Do you think the cap kit might have helped that? The poor old Nomad stock screen is a bit duff these days, to be expected I guess.

Now to wipe my memory of that video else I'll start to want a Turbo. :pac:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Thanks for doing that. The TurboExpress screen looks a lot better than I thought, colours are really vibrant. Do you think the cap kit might have helped that? The poor old Nomad stock screen is a bit duff these days, to be expected I guess.

Now to wipe my memory of that video else I'll start to want a Turbo. :pac:

This wont help, same vid mod as the nomad.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

drooling_homer.png

Gorgeous looking. That flash card with the reset button looks very handy. Like the Nomad + Everdrive combo.

waveform wrote: »
    I think there was 2 releases of the remade saturn version that came out on the PS2 Pyongy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtua_Racing#Home_console_versions

"A remake was released for the PlayStation 2 under the Sega Ages 2500 label known as Virtua Racing: Flatout. It was released in Japan in 2004 and in North America and Europe in 2005 as part of the Sega Classics Collection. It includes three new courses and four new cars."

Actually the Saturn game is an entirely different conversion from the PS2 game. The latter was released in Japan as part of a budget series and in the west a selection of these formed the Seha Classics compilation.
    So yes, there was one game on the PS2 but released in two different manners in the east and west.

Want the PC Engine Flash Card!
    WANT!

PC Engine bandwagon is approaching fast! ;)

Arino san never made any PC Engine game episodes?

• Advertisement

The Flash Cart in the vid isn't available but a less buggy and, unfortunately, less pretty alternative is the Tototek flash cart...
    PCE Pro 32M Flash Cart
    Looks pretty sweet and isn't too expensive, I really need some new games to play on my TG-16!

edit: Bugger and buggeration! It's sold out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement