Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB apprenticeship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Grannie Annie

Hi,
    Maths are just basic calculations. it's the time allowed that poses a problem. Gool Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ChriisM

Jesus people, i haven't got around to doing it yet, i was worried about the maths but everyone seems to say its handy enough.
    So What are the sections i should watch out for? anything particularly hard?

Cramming Study in for the leaving leaving me tired of anything circular so ive been avoiding it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

I just did there earlier on. Grand altogether.

If you could do pass maths in the Junior Cert then you'll have no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭stephenk123

i hope i did well.. the questions with the shape developments was hard

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

If you are interested in mechanical engineering I think you are completly off track applying to the ESB!

Depends on what part of the company you want to work in. Mechanical Engineering is a far cry from what alot of people, including my careers teacher thought in school.
    Theres alot of Thermodynamics and the likes which would be very useful in Powerplants.

• Advertisement

I'd wonder would we hear back quicker about the results than in previous years owing to the fact that the assessment was online this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sparky2011

kona wrote: »
    Depends on what part of the company you want to work in. Mechanical Engineering is a far cry from what alot of people, including my careers teacher thought in school.
    Theres alot of Thermodynamics and the likes which would be very useful in Powerplants.

If your lookin to do mechanical engineering your going the wrong way im afraid, as Bassey has said you can only do Electrical Engineering and it is in DIT or CIT. Also you must complete the first two years as an apprentice electrician ie. 3 months on job at least, then 20 weeks in a FAS centre doing phase two, and 6 months on job again. Along with all of this you have to complete extra modules and further tests for them to see if you are eligible to do the engineering!

If you are successfull you will start in sept of your third year ( you will already have completed two years as an apprentice electrician!) in either DIT or CIT. However the great part of that is that they will sponsor (pay!) you 300e a week during term time (ie. when you are on summer holidays etc you will not be paid) and they will also pay your registration fees at the start of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

osullic wrote: »
    No just have a calculator handy.Its just basic multiplication and addition for most of it.
    I did it on Saturday and found the maths and verbal handy but was a bit caught for time on some of the other stuff.
    All the best with it anyway J.R.

No, don't bring a calculator. That's cheating. It's an aptitude test.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭osullic

mtb_kng wrote: »
    No, don't bring a calculator. That's cheating. It's an aptitude test.
    You don't bring anything anywhere its an online test plus they say you can use a calculator.

Heres a quote from the email they sent out
    You will find it useful to have some paper and a pencil for the tasks and a calculator for numerical assessments. Our best advice on how to approach the tasks is to work both quickly and accurately. If you get stuck on a question, mark your best choice and then move on, avoid wild guessing. You may skip questions if you wish - the instructions before the test explain how to do this.

Please note once you start a task you will not be able to leave it and re-enter. However you can take breaks between tasks.

- The `Shapes' personality assessment is not timed. All other assessments however are timed and the time remaining in each assessment is present on-screen. Instructions and examples are provided with each task. It is imperative that you read and understand these before you start the tasks.
    so jog on with your misinformation.

osullic wrote: »
    You don't bring anything anywhere its an online test plus they say you can use a calculator.

Heres a quote from the email they sent out

so jog on with your misinformation.

Fine, I was wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Sparky2011 wrote: »
    If your lookin to do mechanical engineering your going the wrong way im afraid, as Bassey has said you can only do Electrical Engineering and it is in DIT or CIT. Also you must complete the first two years as an apprentice electrician ie. 3 months on job at least, then 20 weeks in a FAS centre doing phase two, and 6 months on job again. Along with all of this you have to complete extra modules and further tests for them to see if you are eligible to do the engineering!

If you are successfull you will start in sept of your third year ( you will already have completed two years as an apprentice electrician!) in either DIT or CIT. However the great part of that is that they will sponsor (pay!) you 300e a week during term time (ie. when you are on summer holidays etc you will not be paid) and they will also pay your registration fees at the start of the year!

Im basically finished a Mech eng Degree, so I have that under my belt already (finally :))
    Im just saying that mechanical Engineering wasnt what I or many others expected :) .

kona wrote: »
    Im basically finished a Mech eng Degree, so I have that under my belt already (finally :))
    Im just saying that mechanical Engineering wasnt what I or many others expected :) .

Sorry there lad i didnt mean to quote your post at all! :o yeah they do employ mechanical engineers but that is in E.S.B International and not networks which is the part of the company that deals with the apprenticeship!

Again my bad! :)

mtb_kng wrote: »
    Hi,
    I just did it, it's exactly as its supposed to be. An aptitude test. I'm 17, I did it, but I timed myself pretty badly. Took too long on certain things and took me a while to figure out I could skip questions. Just let him have a go and see. As it says on the letter, there's no point in helping him, he'll have to do it again if he gets futher.

Also, does anyone know if you can skip the apprenticeship and go straight to engineering in college. Does it have to be Electrical Engineering and does it have to be in CIT/DIT? I'd rather be do Mechanical Engineering as I want to become an Formula One engineer sooooo badly!!!

If you are successfull you will start in sept of your third year ( you will already have completed two years as an apprentice electrician!) in either DIT or CIT. However the great part of that is that they will sponsor (pay!) you 300e a week during term time (ie. when you are on summer holidays etc you will not be paid) and they will also pay your registration fees at the start of the year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 perseus123

Hi lads, I applied for this apprenticeship also and have done the aptitude tests. They went well, I think. I am currently completing an arts degree at university, which I intend on doing nothing out of it. An apprenticeship I feel is the right path for me. I'm just wondering if this degree is worth any brownie points as regards selection for this apprenticeship and/or the engineering degree option?

perseus123 wrote: »
    Hi lads, I applied for this apprenticeship also and have done the aptitude tests. They went well, I think. I am currently completing an arts degree at university, which I intend on doing nothing out of it. An apprenticeship I feel is the right path for me. I'm just wondering if this degree is worth any brownie points as regards selection for this apprenticeship and/or the engineering degree option?

Ha, funnily enough i am also finishing an arts degree this year and hoping to get into the ESB!

I wouldn't imagine the degree is much of a swaying factor, they'd probably prefer good marks in leaving cert subjects like physics etc to an unrelated degree!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ChriisM

MTB_Kng ..... Kona?

why am i getting the impression theres more than a few Mtbers here haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Just wondering if anyone could answer this lads, im in phase 4 at the minute and when I finish my apprenticeship I will not be getting kept on as the company I work for never keep apprentices on. I was thinking could I apply to do the ESB apprenticeship after I finish this one and if I did get in could I just work for the four years instead of going to phase 2,4 and 6 as I would have already completed them? Has anyone ever heard of this being done?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

m.j.w wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone could answer this lads, im in phase 4 at the minute and when I finish my apprenticeship I will not be getting kept on as the company I work for never keep apprentices on. I was thinking could I apply to do the ESB apprenticeship after I finish this one and if I did get in could I just work for the four years instead of going to phase 2,4 and 6 as I would have already completed them? Has anyone ever heard of this being done?

I doubt you would be able to do that. They want to give people without an electrician qualification the opportunity to get it. Sure if they were to take you on for the 4 years they may as well keep you on as you'll be qualified anyway. Would emigrating not be a better option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

sparcocars wrote: »
    I doubt you would be able to do that. They want to give people without an electrician qualification the opportunity to get it. Sure if they were to take you on for the 4 years they may as well keep you on as you'll be qualified anyway. Would emigrating not be a better option?

Yea emigrating is the plan but just wondering was this posible.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 leem6

just wondering has anyone heard back from esb since completing online assessments, or has anyone got any idea on the timeframe for hearing back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

m.j.w wrote: »

Absolutely not possible

leem6 wrote: »
    just wondering has anyone heard back from esb since completing online assessments, or has anyone got any idea on the timeframe for hearing back?

Haven't hear anything back yet :(

Nothing either lads but I had look through this thread and I don't think previous years heard anything till the end of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

tried it already j, not happening, got this reply from them bout two weeks ago
    Thank you for your application for the ESB Apprenticeship Programme 2011.

I very much regret to inform you that as you are currently in or have completed an Electrical Apprenticeship programme we cannot consider you for this role.

This news will no doubt be disappointing to you, but may I sincerely thank you for your interest in ESB.

It is ESB Policy to retain all information submitted to us for 2 years, for recording purposes only. Please advise us if you are unwilling to allow ESB to hold your information for this period. ESB will not use this information for any future vacancies.

May I also take this opportunity to wish you all the very best for the future.[/
    QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Grannie Annie

Hi,

Has anyone been called for an interview following the online aptitude test for ESB electrical apprentiship? Any idea how long after the appitude tests the interviews are scheduled?
    Tnks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 perseus123

No sign of any call yet lads. I'd give it another week or so I'd say. The interviews are being run over the month of July I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 leem6

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything back yet?
    Heard nothing myself

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭osullic

Nothing at all yet.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭yew_tree

I heard nothing back yet either.......Id say they will let us know soon.....maybe next week???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Nothing here yet either.

Advertisement